humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
Hey all -

GoPro announced last Thursday the release of GoPro Labs for the GoPro Hero 8; their internal innovations that are not yet marked for a release, but are fully-baked enough to be released to those of us who like to be early adopters and users of edge-case features. You simply download their firmware onto your SD card, power on your GoPro and give it a minute or two to update, and then load in QR codes from their Github.

I took a look at their feature set, and have used four of them that I believe others in here will find handy as well.

1. Precision Date and Time - awesome way to sync multiple GoPro's to the specific date and time; otherwise hard to get them perfect.
2. Personalize device - great way to enter your name/number in case your GoPro gets lost and you want a shot at getting it returned.
3. Chaper size control - I record in 2.7K or 4K and to go from 4 GB to 12 GB files is worth it for me to avoid file sprawl. They say this isn't compatible everywhere, but for me it's simply loading off SD card into Final Cut Pro, so shouldn't be an issue.
4. Altered file naming - GoPro's file naming is frustrating with multiple cameras; I've now pre-fixed my files with CAM1- and CAM2- just to keep things straight. I also have my GoPro's labeled on top with CAM1 and CAM2, as well as my SD cards named CAM1 and CAM2.

There's a ton of cool features too for turning on based on movement, capturing based on time of day, and otherwise. I might try to leave a GoPro on my 6th floor patio to record sunsets/sunrises just for kicks.

They also mention something about improving Reel Steady GO stabilization, so I'll look into that as well: https://www.reelsteady.com/pages/go-details

Best,
Humes

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Sounds interesting, have they found a way to stop the clicks and pops when running an external mic through the Media Mod or the Mic adaptor?

• Haha
Reactions: R-Rated

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
I like how features such as timecode, large video file sizes and ability to select filenames are "beta" features when the Sony Action cameras have done this since like 2013.

Madlad

Absolute Madlad
Apr 24, 2020
Canada
I ride a
2014 Yamaha R6
Right after I buy a Gopro Hero7 on sale...typical lmao -.-

Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun - Motovlog
Apr 10, 2019
Berlin
I ride a
BMW
Sounds good, for me is a audio meter missing, like the small one in the DJI Osmo action...

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I have any use for any of the new features honestly.

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
@HippoDrone any evidence that the click/pops are software/hardware related in the GoPro itself ? Curious what you may have read up about it. Still futzing with audio myself so learning all the mechanics at play.

@WEB agree, GoPro seems to have market saturation but aren't necessarily the leaders from a product perspective. My buddy rolls straight Garmin's now and despises GoPro, for example. Regardless, good to see "labs" spawn up. Maybe they are pushing for a culture shift internally.

@Madlad somewhat surprising this isn't backwards compatible. Doesn't seem like you're missing out too much, at least. Happy to test out any features if you're curious, though. Wonder when GoPro 9 will come out.

@Bike4Fun have you tried requesting that to GoPro directly ? Saw some of their pages mention "product features" could be directed to support. Might be worth a try to get it on their product backlog potentially: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

@Moto Mengy yeah nothing ground-breaking; all edge case. Makes sense why it's not baked into the software already.

Bit of a status update on my end - the 12 GB chapters has definitely been nice for when I have 30 min of straight footage and don't have to deal with as many spliced files anymore (minor, but nice). The file prefix doesn't seem to be working for me, though, after a few tries at it. Will continue to futz with it, and may try an automated sunrise video soon.

Reactions: Madlad

Madlad

Absolute Madlad
Apr 24, 2020
Canada
I ride a
2014 Yamaha R6
@Madlad somewhat surprising this isn't backwards compatible. Doesn't seem like you're missing out too much, at least. Happy to test out any features if you're curious, though. Wonder when GoPro 9 will come out.

Bit of a status update on my end - the 12 GB chapters has definitely been nice for when I have 30 min of straight footage and don't have to deal with as many spliced files anymore (minor, but nice). The file prefix doesn't seem to be working for me, though, after a few tries at it. Will continue to futz with it, and may try an automated sunrise video soon.

Ah it's no big deal, I'm pretty happy with the 7 in any case. The only features that really interest me are the 2 you just happened to mention, and like you said they're more of a luxury than a necessity lol :)

Reactions: LandyVlad

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
@HippoDrone any evidence that the click/pops are software/hardware related in the GoPro itself ? Curious what you may have read up about it. Still futzing with audio myself so learning all the mechanics at play.
I think it is either the USB-C connection, or the mic connection, neither are a great fit and are not up to the sorts of speeds and buffeting they get on a motorbike. I am (bravely) testing out a new audio setup on my next dirty bike rideout with Lamb Chop Rides, The Chronicles of Mr Fish and Big_Pezza, am hoping it works as it should be an awesome afternoons riding! :)

Reactions: humes

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
I think it is either the USB-C connection, or the mic connection, neither are a great fit and are not up to the sorts of speeds and buffeting they get on a motorbike. I am (bravely) testing out a new audio setup on my next dirty bike rideout with Lamb Chop Rides, The Chronicles of Mr Fish and Big_Pezza, am hoping it works as it should be an awesome afternoons riding! :)

I can't believe they don't just open the Bluetooth interface to let any bluetooth mic connect.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I can't believe they don't just open the Bluetooth interface to let any bluetooth mic connect.
Aye, even Insta360 allows a bluetooth connection to AirPods with the One R (I don't have any AirPods though lol

TBRD

Throttle Back Rubber Down
Jul 9, 2020
I ride a
2020 BMW S1000XR
This is really cool. I like the idea of personalizing and some of the other updates.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CollingsB Camera Setups 32
G Camera Setups 11

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO