Status
Not open for further replies.

JollyRoger

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Ottawa
I ride a
2002 R6
The drift definitely looks larger, I have to say I never noticed any drag using the contour - where is yours mounted?

pizzaonaninja

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Behind you
I ride a
Trek 8500
Friz said:
2 questions about the new gopro.

1) does the external Mic port work with the case on
2) will it work with current gopro accessorys ie suction mount, side mount etc.

If both yes I'll be ordering one straight away.

1) with the skeleton case (not the WP one.)
2)yes.

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250
The skelton cover is not water proof.

so thats a fail with the external mic idea.

fasd:jsnadkank:s:snad

fark

kryten

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
GSXR-600 and WR250R
pizzaonaninja said:
Friz said:

2)yes.

I don't think the mic will work even with the skeleton case unless what you're referring to is something different than what it shipped with. The case I have only has a changeable back. The microphone port is on the side and still covered with the open back. I think GoPro dropped the ball on this one. I've always been a big fan of GoPro but I think their reign as top dog in the helmet cam market is officially over. If Replay can get their crap together I may switch to Replay XD for the helmet cam and use GoPros or Drifts for on-bike cameras. Honestly though the color is crap on the new Drift HD from what I've seen.

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250
kryten said:
pizzaonaninja said:
Friz said:

2)yes.

I don't think the mic will work even with the skeleton case unless what you're referring to is something different than what it shipped with. The case I have only has a changeable back. The microphone port is on the side and still covered with the open back. I think GoPro dropped the ball on this one. I've always been a big fan of GoPro but I think they're reign as top dog in the helmet cam market is officially over. If Replay can get their crap together I may switch to Replay XD for the helmet cam and use GoPros or Drifts for on-bike cameras. Honestly though the color is crap on the new Drift HD from what I've seen.

agreed, i dunno how they manged to stuff up so much shit.

seems like they can never get it right.

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
People need to remember that GoPro aren't producing these knowing people want to use them to Vlog.

They see the bigger picture as a helmet cam, to me they are still leading in helmet cams I'd rather a GoPro on my helmet than a Drift or a Contour

-Drift seems too big
-Contour seems too fragile

-GoPro is a sleek design and a pretty much hard core cam. I've seen videos of people droping them from over 1000ft and still work, There was a rider/fellow Vloger that had it rub on his rear tyer for over 10mins and it still worked just the (outer case) had taken most of the damage, I can't remeber his name I think it is Xanas? could be wrong.

But were speaking/ I'm reading your comments on regards to it being a vlogging camera, to vlog the best camera has to be the drift and new drift HD, but for quality, build design and build quality I'd choose the GoPro. There video on this advertisment is absoutly amazing, it's all shot with a camera the size of your fist and yet it looks as if it was shot with a big movie camera.

Just my thoughts on this topic.

pizzaonaninja

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Behind you
I ride a
Trek 8500
this is what i mean.

HDSkeletonHousing2.jpg

the skeleton cover is not WP, but allows you to connect and mount the camera anywhere where you normally use the included mounts.

kryten

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
GSXR-600 and WR250R
pizzaonaninja said:
the skeleton cover is not WP, but allows you to connect and mount the camera anywhere where you normally use the included mounts.

So if I want to use this thing I have to buy another case because mine didn't come with a case like that.

AZZ3R said:
People need to remember that GoPro aren't producing these knowing people want to use them to Vlog.
If they don't expect people to use them to vlog or at the very least record audio with the external port why did they include it in the new design. I think its a poor design for anything other than just slapping it on a bike, car, etc.

AZZ3R said:
-Drift seems too big

-GoPro is a sleek design and a pretty much hard core cam. I've seen videos of people droping them from over 1000ft and still work, There was a rider/fellow Vloger that had it rub on his rear tyer for over 10mins and it still worked just the (outer case) had taken most of the damage, I can't remeber his name I think it is Xanas? could be wrong.

The new Drift HD is no bigger than the GoPro. Its actually sleeker and less dorky looking on the side of a helmet as far as I can tell. The only negatives in my opinion are the image quality looks crappy in the videos I've seen and the helmet mounting seems a little crappy since it uses velcro and the angle of the camera in relation to the mount is static so you can't fine tune the positioning. The GoPro still has better color and sharpness and you can position it much better.

I will agree, the one thing GoPro has going for them is the damn things are nearly indestructible. I've had mine drop off and bounce down the road, I've hit some pretty big rocks while kayaking, and I've even dropped it off a cliff while rock climbing and it never dropped a single frame.

pizzaonaninja

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Behind you
I ride a
Trek 8500
kryten said:
pizzaonaninja said:

So if I want to use this thing I have to buy another case because mine didn't come with a case like that.

if you bought a hero(1) yeah...

hero 2: What’s Included:
1 11MP HD HERO2 Camera
1 Waterproof Housing (197′ / 60m)
1 HD Skeleton Housing

and a bunch of other stuff

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Honda Hornet - With Beast Of A Micron Exhaust
kryten said:
I've seen and the helmet mounting seems a little crappy since it uses velcro and the angle of the camera in relation to the mount is static so you can't fine tune the positioning. The GoPro still has better color and sharpness and you can position it much better.

The drift has the camera with a 3mm threaded hole, which then has a piece that screws onto the camera, this piece can be adjusted to almost any angle, and then slid into the mount on the helmet.

The piece on the top right, the series of nothces mean it will lock on at any angle.
drift-innovation-helmet-mount-dhlmt-parts.jpg

kryten

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
GSXR-600 and WR250R
Chessecake94 said:
kryten said:
I've seen and the helmet mounting seems a little crappy since it uses velcro and the angle of the camera in relation to the mount is static so you can't fine tune the positioning. The GoPro still has better color and sharpness and you can position it much better.

The drift has the camera with a 3mm threaded hole, which then has a piece that screws onto the camera, this piece can be adjusted to almost any angle, and then slid into the mount on the helmet.

The piece on the top right, the series of nothces mean it will lock on at any angle.
drift-innovation-helmet-mount-dhlmt-parts.jpg

That's only on a 2 dimensional plane though right? I want to be able to put it toward the front of my helmet and angle it away from the helmet so it doesn't get the side of my helmet in the shot. Which is doable with the GoPro.

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Honda Hornet - With Beast Of A Micron Exhaust
ahh i see what you mean, did take me long to figure out where to put it exactly, if you just want it as you on camera helmet it sould be fine. If i was to get a camera just for the bike i would use a go-pro though.

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
AZZ3R said:

kryten said:
If they don't expect people to use them to vlog or at the very least record audio with the external port why did they include it in the new design. I think its a poor design for anything other than just slapping it on a bike, car, etc.

It's an Extreme sports camera, they are made to push the limits of recording while the user is doing "extreme sports".

The Drift and the Contour are aimed at Vlogging, Don't get me wrong I like the Vlogging community, I just see more people that aren't vloggers using GoPros and people that are vloggers with the Contour and Drift. Theres a bigger market to be chased other than Vloggers as more people, sky dive, rally car, underwater spear fishing & many more "extreme sports" that don't require you to talk to/ narrate and the GoPro has all of that, GoPro shouldn't try the Vlogging scene they will never be able to compete with Drift or Contour.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
Some people are saying that having to use a non-waterproof case in order to use the external mic port is a bad thing.

Don't forget, there are other cameras that aren't waterproof/can't be put in waterproof casing with external mic ports as well.
People are just nit picking here.
There are also a lot of cameras that don't have external mic ports, and even some that as well as not having a port aren't waterproof.

The GoPro isn't meant for vlogging. As someone has said, it is meant for extreme sports. Its fantastic attached to the bike, gets some really great angles and has excellent quality - far beyond anything I've ever seen before.
With the new addition of an external mic port it can now be used for vlogging as well as all these other things. This is great, regardless of the downsides.

Since I bought my GoPro 960 a few months ago, I've gotten used to using it on the side of the helmet and I've been experimenting with shots from positions on the bike (new video coming in next few days that features this). The reason I got it was because of the quality, and the only downside I've had with it is the syncing with audio when vlogging. It puts a lot more effort into vlogging and getting everything right - its rubbish.

I'll be picking one of these up as soon as I have the money. Thats certain.

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
AZZ3R said:

They see the bigger picture as a helmet cam, to me they are still leading in helmet cams I'd rather a GoPro on my helmet than a Drift or a Contour

-Drift seems too big

But were speaking/ I'm reading your comments on regards to it being a vlogging camera, to vlog the best camera has to be the drift and new drift HD, but for quality, build design and build quality I'd choose the GoPro. There video on this advertisment is absoutly amazing, it's all shot with a camera the size of your fist and yet it looks as if it was shot with a big movie camera.

Just my thoughts on this topic.
the drift is not small. THe new drift HD ( not the HD170)
is smaller then the go pro.

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
ariderslife said:
the drift is not small. THe new drift HD ( not the HD170)
is smaller then the go pro.

Hense the fact I said.

AZZ3R said:
the best camera to vlog has to be the drift and New drift HD,
AZZ3R said:
-Drift seems too big

The new drift HD is actually pretty small compared to the orignal, 808 did a video a while back comapring the two

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
I just noticed with the go pro.

Id buy another waterproof case.

Drill a hole big enough to fit the Jack input. And then add a pastic ( mabye 1cm) tube of the end of the hole.

to stop water coming in. I think this would work ok in most weather, but not heavyyy rain or swimming ovbiously.

that i can see as a decent fix.

TO be honest id probly buy 1 of each

1 new drift HD and Gopro hero 2 - then after testing i would decide what i prefer

gpzDave

Wannabie Member
Sep 25, 2011
Fife, Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Speed Four & Honda FES125
ariderslife said:
I just noticed with the go pro.

Id buy another waterproof case.

Drill a hole big enough to fit the Jack input. And then add a pastic ( mabye 1cm) tube of the end of the hole.

to stop water coming in. I think this would work ok in most weather, but not heavyyy rain or swimming ovbiously.

that i can see as a decent fix.

That's a good idea, who knows why GoPro couldn't have designed it in this way. If the hole/jack gap was sealed with a rubber grommet it still couldn't be submerged, but they could certainly class it as 'rain-proof'. Then it would be suitable for vlogging. But that would be cool if you managed to fix a standard case up like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts