GoPro Audio or External Recorded

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sport Glide
Not sure if there is a poll function, but I was wondering how many are wiring their mics directly to their camera (GoPro), or use an external recorder, like Zoom H1n.

I use a GoPro 9 with media mod, the setup is very neat, however, no matter how, where I position the mic, behind the cheek pad, outside the cheeckpad, with deadcat, etc.. the audio is okish at normal speeds but is still fairly noisy after a certain speed when the wind gets stronger.

And one thing I realised is that, the problem is NOT the position of the mic, nor how many deadcats you have, but more or less the fact that GoPro doesn't allow us to adjust the mic gain, everything is on auto, so the mic automatically adjusts itself. That's also one of the reasons GoPro is notorious for picking up all the breathing sounds.

So now I'm considering purchasing an external recorder, as I know with those ones you can actually adjust the gain, so it picks up only what you want.

Anyone else been in this position?

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Teapot One recently did a video on this, you need to turn the wind noise suppression off and it records at a constant level. Your choice of mic will also be a contributing factor too, I've found the cheaper the mic the better for in helmet. I use these:

You may also find that your helmet is just noisy around the chin area.

I use a voice recorder for my in helmet audio on trackdays as we aren't allowed to attach cameras to our helmets for them, and it is nice being able to adjust the gain to get a nice voice level, but I find it can almost eliminate engine noise so have to grab engine audio from a second camera out of the wind if I've turned the gain too low.

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sport Glide
Teapot One recently did a video on this, you need to turn the wind noise suppression off and it records at a constant level. Your choice of mic will also be a contributing factor too, I've found the cheaper the mic the better for in helmet. I use these:

You may also find that your helmet is just noisy around the chin area.

I use a voice recorder for my in helmet audio on trackdays as we aren't allowed to attach cameras to our helmets for them, and it is nice being able to adjust the gain to get a nice voice level, but I find it can almost eliminate engine noise so have to grab engine audio from a second camera out of the wind if I've turned the gain too low.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
FWIW, I did a test today where I tried to turn off the Wind suppression in my Hero 9. The option was greyed out when I had my external lav mic plugged in, but when it was unplugged I had the option to turn it on and off.

I unplugged the external mic, turned it off, plugged the mic back in, and rode. Absolutely ZERO difference between on and off when the lav mic was plugged in.

-John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CollingsB Camera Setups 32
G Camera Setups 11
SweetTripl Camera Setups 27

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts