Gitup G3 Duo FOV 170° action camera - not exactly a review...

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
This isn't a review per se but rather a thread where I'll record my impressions of this camera in an ongoing way.

First Impressions

This is the camera concerned and I bought only the master camera (not interested in the secondary duo camera at this time.) as well as a charger and few spare batteries, an external mic, and the skeleton housing.

So far I've opened the package, set the batteries to charge and had just a brief play with it.

It'll take a while to get used to the camera settings (as to where they are in the menus etc) but that'd be the case with any camera.

Didn't have any real trouble hooking up the app, which will be handy for the live view function when I set the camera up on the helmet to be confident it's pointing in the right direction when worn.
Also allows some (but I don't think all) settings to be changed a bit easier than via camera menus.

There's a significant lag (around 1 second) between things actually occurring and them showing on the 'live view' in the app but that's not a problem at all - it's not really intended to be used as a live monitor, but primarily as set-up aid.

Changing settings on the screen isn't hard, but it did take me awhile to figure out that when the setting is orange that's the 'on' and white is 'off' . Given the white is brighter than the orange that seems counter-intuitive but now I know it it's not a problem. Just something to be aware of.

Resolution

If you were to run this system with a slave camera - then both cameras record at 1080p / 30fps.
When running the main camera only (as likely most owners would be doing) there are more resolution options available.

When making the purchase decision I THOUGHT this was 4K, and at least one review I read said so - however I hsoudl have read the site very carefully - max resolution is actually 2160p -> 2880*2160P ; 24 fps.
Other resolutions available are: 1440P HD video:2560*1440P ; 30 fps ; 1080P HD video: 1920*1080P 60/30 fps ; Dual FUll HD video : 1920*1080 ; 30 fps (with Slave camera) ; 720P HD video : 1280*720; 120/60 fps

So as far as I can see - for YouTube - there is no benefit to me in recording at higher than 1080p (but lower than 4K)

Therefore it makes sense for me to record in
1920*1080P @ 60 fps (rather than 30)

So I'm a bit peeved about that but the camera is significantly cheaper than a gopro 7 or 8 so I can't complain too much I don't reckon. Plus 1080p ought to be perfectly adequate for the time being.

The fact this camera features image stabilisation (as well as many other features) makes it a HUGE step up from my GoProHero2 !

Concerns
I purchased the external microphone (so I can fit it inside my helmet)
Looking at the instruction book there is one thing which concerns me.

When you enable and connect an external microphone, the camera
records audio from both the external microphone and the built-in
microphone.

Now this isn't an issue if it were to record to separate audio tracks but I rather fear it might mix them together - which would partly defeat the point of having a microphone screened from the breeze.

We'll see I guess.

Last edited:

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
You can always block the built in mics with tape or a bit of fur

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
I'd have thought that there should be a way with a firmware update for Gitup to provide the functionality to disable the internal mic(but not the external one if plugged in)

EDcase it's funny you should say that about cutting the wire...

I contacted gitup via their website and asked the following:
Q re the use of external microphone. I bought the G3Duo camera.

In the manual it states "when you enable and connect an external microphone, the camera records audio from both the external microphone and built-in microphone"

Does it do this on separate audio tracks, for editing purposes, or does it mix both mics down to a single audio track? If it puts both together on a single track that rather defeats the purpose of avoiding wind noise by having an external microphone?

There is a setting in the camera menus for 'microphone sensitivity' - does that apply to a plugged in external mic as well or only to the internal microphone?

Thanks for your help.

The answer I received answered only one of the questions I asked.

Hi Landyvlad,

Some users remove internal MIC to avoid this wind noise problem, if possible please have a try?
Attachment red circel is G3 MIC part, any other question please come back, thanks.

Best Regards,
Support Team

GitUp LTD
Phone: +86 755 8527 8089
Email: support@gitup.com
Website: www.gitup.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/gitup.ltd
Address: 201, Building 1, Guanghui Science and Technology Park, Minqing Road, Longhua, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China

The document they attached was a photo of the camera circuit board highlighting the internal microphone.
They are implying that I should disassemble the camera and cut the microphone off.
Internal Mic G3.jpg
I'm not keen to do this for a number of reasons - the potential for damage being one reason, and as per my subsequent response to Gitup:

I don't wish to disassemble the camera as I may wish to use the internal mic for other situations.
Surely you ought to be able to roll out a firmware update with an option to turn the internal microphone on and off ?
Thanks and kind regards,

I'll let you all know what response I receive to that.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I recently purchased this camera. The image is fair, at 1080p 30fps, but I'll try it at 60 fps on my next shoot.
If available on Amazon it was only $24.00

- Wolf

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
The trouble is, companies like GoPro do all the research, make amazing cameras... then the clones make copies with no research, just robbing intellectual property and changing it enough to not get prosecuted for it.
I have repeatedly found it better to deal with an international company like GoPro than the Chinese based companies who will happily see you with a broken camera and no warranty after you cut wires etc on their advice.
Even Insta360 are a nightmare to deal with, although I think they are realising this and trying to improve.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I had a terrible experience with them on my first One X which bricked itself on an update they did, cost me a wedge of money too even though they fixed it under warranty. As for the cameras, if you want an honest review of the One R take a look at Spicy110 on YouTube, he have done a harsh but very fair review of it and I pretty much agree with his thoughts

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
The cheap one I picked up was just as a back up camera. In my last video I mounted it on the lower left side of my bike to provided a nice cut away from my main cameras. It was really a steal at $24 bucks, especially since I'm not expecting high quality imagery. Still, it has some good extra features - some level of stability, timelapse, and still pics. I plan to shoot some test at 1080p 60fps, try out the remote watch, and see how it responds to color correction.

- Wolf

Reactions: HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts