FEEDBACK REQUIRED....

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
@lonerockz there are occasional chances to post a topical video on here from time to time that are exempt from the regular posting limits. I believe the latest was a Winter No Talk Video Challenge. I do not recall if there was a Spring one done but I am sure @HippoDrone would be open for allowing it.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I'm new here, but I will make the horrible assumption that every new member is like me, so my opinion must be valid.

I found and joined the forum because I have a dream of creating a channel that a few folks will find and enjoy. I searched for Moto vlog forum and found it. Looking around, I noticed that @Drakhen99 was a frequent poster, and I had previously watched his Davinci tutorials, so I knew there were some "quality" members I could learn from.

As a newbie, I don't honestly have much to teach people here. I planned to read around, ask a few questions, create my first video, and post it hoping to get feedback. But the site makes posting videos hard. I'm honestly not 100% sure what the restrictions are; several confusing threads exist. I think I'm just not at the minimum number of posts. I will post more, but if I still can't post a video for feedback, I'll give up and move on.

The site rules on posting videos are designed to reduce the number of people here. I think it even said we don't want people promoting their videos and disappearing. I can understand why you would want this. But you have to accept that it will reduce the number of people participating.

I have to ask: why restrict the posting of videos? Who cares? So someone comes here once a week and posts their latest video and disappears. And what? Make a section for just that, and then if you don't like it, don't visit that section. Perhaps one of these folks will someday have a question and come back and participate.
I think you can create a thread in the Member Vlogs section, but I forget if you need 10 posts or something like that first.

When I was new here [and thanks for the mention!] I got my hand smacked by @HippoDrone for breaking the rules... quite frequently.

The reason the rules are set up the way they are is precisely what @R-Rated was talking about - preventing this place from being a spam-and-run forum. This forum is more for the sharing of ideas and techniques, and less for the sharing of videos, IMO. Everyone who's reached the point of being able to post videos has some skin the game, so to speak. The more invested the members are, the better the forum will be, again IMO. We don't need 1,000 motovloggers dropping their vids every week and not participating in the ancillary discussions. 100 motovloggers who participate and then post the occasional video and ask advice or just want to share something helpful [like me and others who share their how-to videos] is far more beneficial to the crowd.

Heck, I've made valued friendships off this forum, so for that I am grateful!

I hope you give it some more time - the rewards are worth it!

-John

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I think you can create a thread in the Member Vlogs section, but I forget if you need 10 posts or something like that first.

When I was new here [and thanks for the mention!] I got my hand smacked by @HippoDrone for breaking the rules... quite frequently.

The reason the rules are set up the way they are is precisely what @R-Rated was talking about - preventing this place from being a spam-and-run forum. This forum is more for the sharing of ideas and techniques, and less for the sharing of videos, IMO. Everyone who's reached the point of being able to post videos has some skin the game, so to speak. The more invested the members are, the better the forum will be, again IMO. We don't need 1,000 motovloggers dropping their vids every week and not participating in the ancillary discussions. 100 motovloggers who participate and then post the occasional video and ask advice or just want to share something helpful [like me and others who share their how-to videos] is far more beneficial to the crowd.

Heck, I've made valued friendships off this forum, so for that I am grateful!

I hope you give it some more time - the rewards are worth it!

-John
Speaking of connections online - you are in DC area right? I ask because I will be heading up to New Hampshire in June to hunt something with a couple of members on here. So I was thinking a quick meetup maybe something to coordinate as time gets closer and weather gets more predictable.

PM me for more info John.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Speaking of connections online - you are in DC area right? I ask because I will be heading up to New Hampshire in June to hunt something with a couple of members on here. So I was thinking a quick meetup maybe something to coordinate as time gets closer and weather gets more predictable.

PM me for more info John.
Yeah, I'm in the DC Area - and we for sure should meet up!

I'll message you.

-John

• Love
Reactions: R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I'm new here, but I will make the horrible assumption that every new member is like me, so my opinion must be valid.

I found and joined the forum because I have a dream of creating a channel that a few folks will find and enjoy. I searched for Moto vlog forum and found it. Looking around, I noticed that @Drakhen99 was a frequent poster, and I had previously watched his Davinci tutorials, so I knew there were some "quality" members I could learn from.

As a newbie, I don't honestly have much to teach people here. I planned to read around, ask a few questions, create my first video, and post it hoping to get feedback. But the site makes posting videos hard. I'm honestly not 100% sure what the restrictions are; several confusing threads exist. I think I'm just not at the minimum number of posts. I will post more, but if I still can't post a video for feedback, I'll give up and move on.

The site rules on posting videos are designed to reduce the number of people here. I think it even said we don't want people promoting their videos and disappearing. I can understand why you would want this. But you have to accept that it will reduce the number of people participating.

I have to ask: why restrict the posting of videos? Who cares? So someone comes here once a week and posts their latest video and disappears. And what? Make a section for just that, and then if you don't like it, don't visit that section. Perhaps one of these folks will someday have a question and come back and participate.
I'll take a look at your profile to see why you are unable to post your videos. When you are able, they go in the Members Vlogs section.

Reactions: Drakhen99

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sport Glide
I understand forums are great for organisational purposes. However, there is a reason why facebook groups are so popular, because people are already spending a lot of time on social media - and if something is relevant, facebook will promote various group posts into people's personal feeds, therefore resulting in more activity.

So I suggest creating a facebook group, not to replace this, but to complement this existing forum and potentially even attract new members.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I understand forums are great for organisational purposes. However, there is a reason why facebook groups are so popular, because people are already spending a lot of time on social media - and if something is relevant, facebook will promote various group posts into people's personal feeds, therefore resulting in more activity.

So I suggest creating a facebook group, not to replace this, but to complement this existing forum and potentially even attract new members.
Generally all the motovlogging groups on Facebook are spam-fests with people never interacting with others in any meaningful way and just posting their own videos constantly. I left almost every motovlogging group I joined very quickly as there was no community, just spam. The only one I have stuck with is MotoSocial UK as I am friends with a lot of the members on there and we actually meet up etc

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Generally all the motovlogging groups on Facebook are spam-fests with people never interacting with others in any meaningful way and just posting their own videos constantly. I left almost every motovlogging group I joined very quickly as there was no community, just spam. The only one I have stuck with is MotoSocial UK as I am friends with a lot of the members on there and we actually meet up etc
This is quite true. I don't post my stuff in those groups very often unless a video is already doing poorly... because, and this may be mean, but, the people who think watching 5 seconds of a video actually HELPS it, they just tank my AVD.

For me, the better solution has been to create my own Facebook page for my channel, and share my videos there. People can still find the videos and easily share them.

On the flip side, I DO know a bunch of motovloggers who regularly share their content across 6 or 10 FB groups, and they're all growing faster than me, so what do I know? :D

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
This is quite true. I don't post my stuff in those groups very often unless a video is already doing poorly... because, and this may be mean, but, the people who think watching 5 seconds of a video actually HELPS it, they just tank my AVD.

For me, the better solution has been to create my own Facebook page for my channel, and share my videos there. People can still find the videos and easily share them.

On the flip side, I DO know a bunch of motovloggers who regularly share their content across 6 or 10 FB groups, and they're all growing faster than me, so what do I know? :D

-John
I share my relevant vids in groups, just not motovlogging groups, and it works as long as I don't post too many. I hate public groups though because then when I share videos to those groups it shows up in everyone who just follows my page still, so they see each share... which is really spammy of me, so am trying to thin out the groups I am a member of to counter that.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I share my relevant vids in groups, just not motovlogging groups, and it works as long as I don't post too many. I hate public groups though because then when I share videos to those groups it shows up in everyone who just follows my page still, so they see each share... which is really spammy of me, so am trying to thin out the groups I am a member of to counter that.
Good call!

I forgot about that thing where friends see where you're sharing stuff... nobody's mentioned it to me.

-John

Kofla

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14
Aug 3, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
koflaolivieri.blogspot.com
I ride a
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14
I admit being guilty of joining the site back in 2014, and completely forgetting about the forum. Can't remember how I found the site again after all these years. It is possible that is because I created a new channel earlier this year, and after watching lots of motovlogs on Youtube decided to google for a motovlog forum.

One thing I know for sure is that I never received a reminder email from the site. When I tried to join the site the other day, the site kept telling me that the user name I was trying to register, which is my first name, was already being used. That is when I realized I had joined years ago. I requested my password to be updated, and voila, here I am again.

Maybe sending inactive members a reminder email could help bringing people back into the forum again.

Off topic question, how do I add my channel to my signature?

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts