Editing through hours of footage

gravyboat

Wannabie Member
Jul 15, 2019
I ride a
2008 Honda CBR600RR
What's up guys?!

Quick question. As someone who is new to editing I'm still learning a lot. How do you guys go through your footage? I was out riding for quite a few hours yesterday, went to Premiere started setting my in and out points in my footage, dragging it over to the timeline but it seems to take forever. It's almost like I have to look at the footage for the same amount of time I'm riding. Is there a different way to do it or am I just stupid and need to be patient. Probably is the latter.

Thanks!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Often I'll remember parts of rides where I know nothing interesting happens so I can skip through them, but once on interesting roads I have to just rewatch it. I try to keep my commentary to the prettier roads so I'll normally know that any motorway or dual carriageways will not have anything worth using.

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
I usually turn the camera on and do my thing then turn it off and put it away. I still get a ton of footage though from focusing on road and loosing train of thought.

One tip I can give is do a hand signal in front of your camera before or after you have something that you want to edit( makes a reference when fast forward) you also can yell to give a spike on the sound so you can see it from the edit screen without having to watch all of it. See the spike and then sift through that area.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
All of the above are great tips. I have been sifting through some recently recorded footage where I was reviewing a bike as well as hitting the highlights of a tricky route folks like to frequent.

Using the scrub feature in Premiere is helpful as long as the footage plays normally. Sometimes I have render then scrub through to catch what I want. If I don't render when needed then it is too choppy and I might miss that magical moment I should publish.

Reactions: RideOnTwo

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
I just edit as I watch my videos. It helps to be organized. If I'm vlogging my day then I make sure to have the video in the correct timeline.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
Utilize the J K and L Shuttle keys in Premiere. First press of J reverses footage. Each tap of J after speeds up reverse. K stops footage. L starts footage forward and each tap after speeds it up. Couple this with visual queues (such as middle finger like I use, but you can be more civilized as I am an ass) and you can shuttle through hours of footage pretty quick.

B.Vation

@Bikervation
Feb 28, 2019
Wiltshire
I ride a
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200R Roadster
I can remotely turn my camera on from standby so just hit record when I talk or the roads a bit interesting. This means I only have what I consider meaningful footage to look through and it’s then a matter of trimming the in and out point. I probably end up looking through the edited version 2 or 3 times trimming to get about 30 ish minuets.

I use a TomTom Bandit camera and DaVinci Resolve 16 for editing.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Normally vlogs are filmed in about 30 to 45 min.
And edited in about 2 hours xD

Long rides, reviews etc, i speed the footage up while editing, so 1.5x the speed for example and do all the rough cuts.
Most times i will do the better after cuts and put everything in place after i normalized the speed of the video again. This for me works best to do on a secondary day. So the editing load is spread out and the more important part of editing isn't spoiled by tiredness or laziness.

Working on a review now that will probably take three sessions of editing ;)

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
Whilst I'm riding I try and remember things that I want to add into the video. Like yourself I will sit a drag through the video clips in VLC

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
I just click the clip and whatever windows uses to open it thats what I use. Not even sure what the program is. I do not cut anything in this program though as I use multiple camera angles and would be hard to sync after they are all cut up.

I use Davinci Resolve to edit. While looking through the footage I drop red and orange markers along the vid where I want to cut. Cut before red and after orange, then I can fine tune the footage once it is down to a manageable size.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I’m pretty old school, especially since I shoot with 2-3 cameras sometime. I log my main helmet cam since it’s wired with my mic, and clap slate the rest to it. I keep a written time log of everything that happens.

EX.

0:00 -2:14

Put on gloves, started up bike, eased down lane to main road. 0:34 - almost hit a squirrel while turning onto road.

Wolf: Damn, that was close. Stupid little bugger!

————-

In the margins I use a series of astrisks ( *) to designate if something interesting happens, or if I should cut to a different camera for better or coordinated coverage, use of transitions, cue points for music, etc. ...

When done I’ll use highlighters to mark the shots and moments I want to use. The log then becomes a script for how I’ll how edit and structure the motovlog. Once I’m in Premiere it’s faster and more efficient to assemble the footage based on my logging notes. After that it’s a matter of seeing if it all works, and then to trim, polish or re-edit specific moments and events.

The logging takes time but it’s a way to become ultimately familiar with the footage I shot, then have the best way to make decisions on how I want to use the material. It makes the editing easier because I don’t have to guess about what’s in the footage I shot.

- Wolf

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts