AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
CurlyBlakey said:
AZZ3R said:
Reasons why NCB was brought into the topic is the fact that might encourage newer riders to think in the long term, and accepct the fact the test will benefit them, if you think it doesn't/won't thats your opinion (which your entitled to have) & I stand by my opinion about the NCB.

by the time someone is able to sit on your bike they have 5years NCB so it will be alot cheaper, when you compare it to getting on a 600 at 17.

No, it wasnt. Quite simply no.

It was bought in to reward careful drivers/riders and encourage everyone to drive safely.

I brought it into the topic, I know what you get in the end of the policy year but i'm saying it as if a newer rider would see it. Not what it actually means.

CurlyBlakey

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
South Suffolk, UK
I ride a
2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
AZZ3R said:
CurlyBlakey said:
AZZ3R said:
Reasons why NCB was brought into the topic is the fact that might encourage newer riders to think in the long term, and accepct the fact the test will benefit them, if you think it doesn't/won't thats your opinion (which your entitled to have) & I stand by my opinion about the NCB.

by the time someone is able to sit on your bike they have 5years NCB so it will be alot cheaper, when you compare it to getting on a 600 at 17.

No, it wasnt. Quite simply no.

It was bought in to reward careful drivers/riders and encourage everyone to drive safely.

I brought it into the topic, I know what you get in the end of the policy year but i'm saying it as if a newer rider would see it. Not what it actually means.

My mistake :) i thought you were being very silly!

CurlyBlakey

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
South Suffolk, UK
I ride a
2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
This has gotten silly, so i'm leaving it with my opinion, brilliantly worded by Friz :)

Friz said:
I'm getting really frustrated reading this thread.

The no claims argument is silly and insurance should have nothing to do with your licence. I doubt the govement even thought of this.

A lot of people don't have the money to keep buying a bike after 2 years, especially along with the extra money on more tests. Do we even know what you do for these tests? It'll probably just be a mod 2 every 2 years. Absolutely pointless.

This test change will kill young rider motorcycling in Britain. End of discussion. There's nothing that you can say to argue that without looking like an idiot. I'm sorry, but thats true.

125s are already very popular due to CBT. People who are looking at starting riding will see that they can do a cbt for 100 quid and ride a 125, or go for the full test for 500 quid and days of training to ride... a 125. Who is honestly going to do that?

If you get told you're going to have to pay a lot on your insurance for a 600 and you dont want to pay it then its simple. Dont get a 600. Or get a less sporty 600. It shouldnt be any reason to change the test completely, and its not for the goverment.

I'm trying not to pick on names here, but the reasons bought in to argue for this change are stupid and you really need to look at what you're writing cause its gibberish.

Bring someone who is an instructer into this thread. They're either going to be happy because theyre getting more money or upset cause no ones going to be taking any tests anymore.

Bikermole

Wannabie Member
Jan 24, 2012
Colchester, Essex
www.youtube.com
I ride a
CBR250R-ABS
AZZ3R said:
Bikermole said:
There will be many new riders like myself who have a job, but can't wait/afford to save to buy privately, and cannot get a bank loan, so they go to dealers to get finance so they then have to pay a bit more, and anyway, most do come with a 3 month warranty, which is worth a lot in peace of mind to a money conscious teenager!

You can't base the fact it will hurt the motorcycle industry because people can't afford to buy it outright.

Sorry but if you can afford to pay £5k on a bike over 3years then you can afford £5k straight away, Just save.

The majority of people on this forum & around the world will buy a bike privately.

God forbid, what if you lost your job tomorrow? who will be paying for your bike? But if you save for the bike & buy it outright the bike owes you money rather than the otherway around.

If you where to crash your financed bike & couldn't afford fully comp your paying for a bike & not even riding it + having to buy parts to fix it back to normal.

Financing a bike is only good when you know you either have a job for life (which there isn't many now'a days) or you have enough money saved for a good 6months so in the mean time you can look for a job. I've got my phone on a 24month contract @£40 a month I've got enough saved so if I'm to lose my job I don't have to worry it's just going to come out each month in the mean time I have 2years to look for a new job.

Financing a bike, you would have to think long & hard before signing that dotted line.

I bought my first bike on finance because I needed a bike ASAP to get to work 8 miles away and didn't have 1350 to buy and insure it, yes I paid stupid interest, and yes I hated it, but it got me to work. I saved hard over the next 9 months, paid off the finance and decided to buy out the finance, but it still took me 9 months to save nearly £1200! At the end of the day, have you ever tried telling a 17 year old to save every penny he/she earns. The vast majority won't, some will granted.

As for "if you can afford 5k over 3 years, you can afford 5k now" that's cobblers, I'm sorry, if I have £300 disposal income a month it will take 18 months of saving every penny just for a bike. To 99% of people, it is not possible to save every penny they earn. Birthdays, Christmas, holidays all cost money, and do you expect to stay inside and not go out for 2 years just to get a bike? Finance means instead of £300 saving money, you may have £150, but you have a bike so that money is yours to spend!

Sorry if I drone on a bit!

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
How the hell did this get into a discussion regarding financing a bike? Some people dont want to save, some people want a new bike so they finance. End of that discussion! Opinions on that topic should not he in this thread.

As I said before, NCB should not have been brought in either. Its irrelevant. If you can't afford insurance on a bike, don't buy the bike.

You cant use it to defend the new test as the two aren't even linked.
At the moment you can choose to build up your NCB on a lower capacity machine if you want, or just pay out if you can afford it.

And to Bloke, I'm not stating my opinions as facts. Do not confuse what I'm writing.

Chuckles85

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
I ride a
FZ6N
If the arguement is young riders no longer wanting to ride and killing the industry I can say I am not worried! Every weekend, no matter what bikers cafe I go to the amount of young (17-19yr old) riders I see is almost 0, if any 1 or 2. The hobby/sport/industry whatever you wish to call it is predominantly an old mans game. People who have road experience (namely a car) who can predict what other road users are going to do, who can afford the proper gear, not jeans and trainers and who don't really care about the cc of their bike but the experience.

If young riders only care how fast they can get from A-B and the cc of their bike (which it seems like reading this thread) then obviously the restrictions are going to help hinder reckless riding.

Bloke

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6-S Diversion
I suggest you read your post again. ;)

This test change will kill young rider motorcycling in Britain. End of discussion. There's nothing that you can say to argue that without looking like an idiot. I'm sorry, but thats true.

Neither of those statements are fact.

1. Kill young rider motorcycling...
2. Nothing you can say...

Yet you use the words "that's true".

I'll say what is true:

Noone can know for definite what will happen if this comes in, I believe it'll encourage folk to get into motorcycling at a younger age rather than just waiting for 21 and DAS as it is now.

I believe a rejuvination in the market for lower capacity machines will be good.

I believe a structured program of access for any road vehicle is better than a jump on and see due to some arbitrary time limit.

A person right now can pass a test aged 17 do nothing for 5 years and hop straight on a zx14.

At least with a mandatory test to increase capacity that person is assessed to be able to ride the machine at some point in their lives.

If they then do a test at 17, don't ride for 5 years... They can't just hop on a superbike at a whim.

I think anyone against these changes are only looking as far as the end of their nose and are clearly not seeing the bigger picture.

That said, I dont think they look like idiots when debating against it. I'm actually enjoying reading the posts about it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
There are a lot of young riders out there, you only need to look at the vlogging community to see it.
And a lot of them ride very safely. Its not about having the biggest cc or going the fastest to us, its the feeling of being restricted from our choices.
It's also about having to do more than nessacary tests and its about the massive extra costs.

Not to mention turning potential new riders away. I know that even when they brought in the 33bhp rule just before i did my test i was put off, if it had been this New test then I wouldn't be on a bike today. I bet most current 17/18/19 yo riders aee the same.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
Bloke said:
I suggest you read your post again. ;)

I think anyone against these changes are only looking as far as the end of their nose and are clearly not seeing the bigger picture.

That said, I dont think they look like idiots when debating against it. I'm actually enjoying reading the posts about it.

I know its difficult to communicate because we're doing this over text, but I'm not stating anything as fact that isnt one. There's opinions in there but opinions backed up with clear observations and understanding.

Please explain what you mean by this bigger picture.

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
At the end of the day. IF you want a bike & be on the road you won't complain you will just take the test. Just be greatfull you've done your test before the new laws come in.

You can always help newer riders, first up their going to have to pass the Theory wich is going to get ALOT harder so when they have passed that stage then it's the same priciple, learn to ride & be paitent.

I also agree with have Chuckles is saying when I was at school all my mates that rode pedal bikes where just going on about how they are going to get a sports bike and be "rapid" on them, yet when they get to the age where they understand it all, it's a different ball game. Chuckles is right, people at 17/18/19 are getting with regards to costs due to the 'associated nature' of that age group.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
I want to point out that so far my main arguement has been towards people bringing in stuff about no claims and other irrelevant factors to try and defend the new test.

Just incase anyone got what I was saying the wrong way!

I don't find writing the easiest thing in the first place, let alone on a tiny phone keybored to the extent we're goong to here.

Bloke

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6-S Diversion
I edited my post above, rather hard to keep pace using just my phone! :)

Can't repost either, tapatalk is saying I can't read this forum?

Chuckles85

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
I ride a
FZ6N
To be honest if someone is put of riding till a date that they are no longer affected by the restrictions then that to me is great, let them get the road experience in a car, when thinking about the logistics or a bike and the safety factor, you can't factor for other road users, then riding a bike is just insane. This is why I did it the way I did, I didn't do it when I was 16, I got in a cage and I learnt to drive, at 26 I felt like I could afford decent gear, runnning costs (a bike is not cheap), insurance (fully comp, why go TPFT??) and most importantly know when to have fun on a bike and when to hang back. Yes young people can do it, but when your 26 come back to me and share your insights as to what you feel is safer for everyone, not what is hindering the individual.

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
Chuckles85 said:
but when your 26 come back to me and share your insights as to what you feel is safer for everyone

By the time I reach 26 you'll have a bad back & vlogging on a Harley :lol: *sorry off topic*

But it's true, the older you are the wiser you are so being older on a bigger bike isn't that bad.

Chuckles85

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
I ride a
FZ6N
AZZ3R said:
Chuckles85 said:
but when your 26 come back to me and share your insights as to what you feel is safer for everyone

By the time I reach 26 you'll have a bad back & vlogging on a Harley :lol: *sorry off topic*

But it's true, the older you are the wiser you are so being older on a bigger bike isn't that bad.

Excuse me! I expect flying motorcycles to be around and hopefully due to my ancient age (the age of around Thatmanfromyorkshire's) I won't have to resit any test to ride it :p

Mikesmotorbike

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Guildford
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2001 Aprilia Classic 50cc (2009 - 2012)
2009 Rieju RS2 Matrix pro black edition (Dec 2011 - July 2012)
2001 Yamaha FZS600 (July2012 - January2013)
2005 CCM 404E (April 2013 - present)
AZZ3R said:
Chuckles85 said:

not allwways the case. A friend's step dad allways says "I've had my license for 20 years so I'm wiser/better at driving than you are" then we had some awefull fog. His reaction to this i "f**k this is scary lets floor it so I'll be home quick" and well he landed in a field. My friend (only had a license for less than a year) takes it nice and easy. Hardly saying I'm a perfect rider/driver but I'm quite alot better at it than some people here in France. Age doesn't determine the skill of a driver, his state of mind / ablity to think does.

Chuckles85

Wannabie Member
Nov 9, 2011
I ride a
FZ6N
I can agree, but as statistics state, young drivers/riders particularly men, are more likely to be involved in an accident.

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
Chuckles85 said:
(the age of around Thatmanfromyorkshire's) :p

:eek: Ouch! :lol:.

Mike I agree to a point, but my dad drives fast & my mum has the same car (pointless I know but) she drives like a nun, both no claims & I'd much rather be sat in my dads car due to his driving ability. Again that's how it's supposed to be older the wiser (not always the case) but thats the saying.

Mikesmotorbike

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Guildford
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2001 Aprilia Classic 50cc (2009 - 2012)
2009 Rieju RS2 Matrix pro black edition (Dec 2011 - July 2012)
2001 Yamaha FZS600 (July2012 - January2013)
2005 CCM 404E (April 2013 - present)
Chuckles85 said:
I can agree, but as statistics state, young drivers/riders particularly men, are more likely to be involved in an accident.

yeah it's often the case mainly because it's the "stupid age" where people like to impress mates/girls by driving fast. the only reason you don't hear about the sensible one's is that noone really cares it's allways "10 people killed in a crash" rather than "xmillion people made it home without a scratch" I can see pros and cons to this licence tbh. but it should be for the rider/ examinor to decide if he or she is ready for a big bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts