Drift Ghost X Manual and DIY Anti-Fogging Solution for Waterproof Case

Pewit35

Wannabie Member
Feb 22, 2020
I ride a
500w eBike
Firstly I must confess that I don't have a motorbike - I have a 500w eBike and I don't use it for Moto Vlogging:)
But I sail a Fun. Fast. Easy (and wet) Weta Trimaran and use two Drift Ghost cameras (one on the stern and one on the bowsprit) to record my sailing activities and those of my sailing mates.

The reason for using the Drift Ghost X is the 5hr battery life (it's too difficult to change a battery on the water) and the tubular format and small size. However I have been having difficulty trying to find a manual (there's only a quick guide from Drift) to resolve some issues and also a way to prevent the waterproof case from fogging up as soon as it gets splashed with water which is cooler than the air temperature.

DIY Anti Fogging
I've also struggled with keeping the lens cover of the waterproof case from fogging up in warm weather when the sea temperature is much cooler and as soon as it gets splashed, it starts fogging up. The trick is to remove the foam padding from inside the case and replace it with a strip of folded paper towel - cheap and easy to replace unlike the GoPro anti-fog strips. Works for Ghost X and 4K waterproof case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pewit35

Wannabie Member
Feb 22, 2020
I ride a
500w eBike
DIY Anti Fogging
I've also struggled with keeping the lens cover of the waterproof case from fogging up in warm weather when the sea temperature is much cooler and as soon as it gets splashed, it starts fogging up. The trick is to remove the foam padding from inside the case and replace it with a strip of folded paper towel - cheap and easy to replace unlike the GoPro anti-fog strips. Works for Ghost X and 4K waterproof case.

87053619_1300819800118344_1447463915020615680_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HippoDrone

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I've heard of this solution for helmet visors, but I'm not sure if it will work for the lens cover. Some riders will apply dishwashing liquid over there visor and then just let it dry/harden. Next, they dry rub it off. It then remains as an anti-fogging solution for their visor.

Here' another solution,

- Wolf

Pewit35

Wannabie Member
Feb 22, 2020
I ride a
500w eBike
I’ve tested it by putting the camera in the case in the fridge for 5 minutes - no fogging.

I got the idea from this video

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
You can also try to create a mini vacuum, or as close as possible too...
Should prevent fogging as well.

Pewit35

Wannabie Member
Feb 22, 2020
I ride a
500w eBike
You can also try to create a mini vacuum, or as close as possible too...
Should prevent fogging as well.
I’m sure it would work but it would be difficult to make a vacuum device that allowed you to open and close the latch.
Paper towel is easier, I’d suggest!

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
Sony sells these... sachets you put in the housing, kind of like those anti-moisture sachets you get with a pair of new shoes

So I threw one of those shoe sachets in and... works great. heh.

Pewit35

Wannabie Member
Feb 22, 2020
I ride a
500w eBike
Sony sells these... sachets you put in the housing, kind of like those anti-moisture sachets you get with a pair of new shoes

So I threw one of those shoe sachets in and... works great. heh.
The problem with the Drift X is there's not much room around the camera for one of those sachets without affecting the latch.
But you can roll up a piece of paper towel and wedge it in small spaces.

inimasais

Wannabie Member
Apr 9, 2020
I ride a
Honda Crf250X
hahahah mine too!, i use liquid dish soap inside the lens sit in, then wipe it off with cloth, the fog is runaway now :p
cheers!

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts