Does anyone here Motovlog on YouTube for a living?

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
was Walteriffic, who was one of the originals that really made motovlogging a thing.

I won't call him one of the originals. But he is one of the bigger ones that keeps on going, that is forsure.

Walter is certainly one of the most successful motovloggers financially but there are a few others who also make living wage levels from motovlogging. Itchy Boots for sure, Royal Jordanian too, Missenden Flyer, Blockhead as well, even Her Two Wheels is getting very close after only one year.
Smaller channels like Spicy make it work.
Bigger channels like Chase work on Youtube and does more next to it.
TeapotOne as well.

And "many" more as well.
Some have Youtube as only income source, most have Youtube as main income source, and do stuff next to it
(patreon, merch, reviews etc).

And i know a few good people who went from working 40hours to working 24 hours with the help of youtube aswell.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
It takes a ton of work to actually make a living doing this as your primary source of income. Then most of them have to branch out into instagram, facebook, twitter, and a bunch of other ones that I don't even know. They all take work and constant maintenance to keep them up and keep you in the public eye. Perhaps if you got big enough, like 1 million subs or so, you would consider hiring someone to do all that.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
It takes a ton of work to actually make a living doing this as your primary source of income. Then most of them have to branch out into instagram, facebook, twitter, and a bunch of other ones that I don't even know. They all take work and constant maintenance to keep them up and keep you in the public eye. Perhaps if you got big enough, like 1 million subs or so, you would consider hiring someone to do all that.

If my head count is correct, Yammie Noob has at least 4 people working for him, and has had them on the payroll for a while. Spite, Heather?, Some editor dude, and I'm pretty sure I saw a 4th assistant in one of his vids. I bet all that Manscape money keeps them well fed - and groomed!

But yeah, once you're up there in subs [I'd guess 500k plus], you really need or want at least 1 assistant to take some of the workload off of you.

As for the "ton of work" ... no KIDDING! I keep track of my hours spent editing [not filming, since I love to ride and film anyway], and that ALONE works out to about 2 hours a day... for 2 vids a week [sometimes 3], and the associated social media posts... with all that, it's probably 4 hours a day, in between family life, a day job, and other hobbies - the latter of which have fallen by the wayside to make room for this YT thing.

-John

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
Nope. In order to do this for a living you have to do that "influencer" lifestyle and always trying to stay in trend. Good for those that thrive on being social and popular.

I think I've mentioned it before, but I don't believe in the saying of making your hobby as your job. If you make riding and making videos your job and not a hobby, no matter what you say now, eventually it will become a job. You will start thinking and worrying about how to continue making content and making sure the money streams in, bills get paid, etc.

That's my opinion anyway.
SO TRUE. I have a history on two wheels of the pedal sort also, this reminds me of my experiences as a keen mountainbiker many years ago when I took up racing and the enjoyment of just riding for fun left me and I ended up quitting as I just missed riding with mates, later I started a mobile bicycle mechanic business, never had time to ride myself. Quit because the hobbies became business and i missed the fun side of it. Now I ride my mountainbike for fun and even pay to have it serviced!

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
As for the "ton of work" ... no KIDDING! I keep track of my hours spent editing [not filming, since I love to ride and film anyway], and that ALONE works out to about 2 hours a day... for 2 vids a week [sometimes 3], and the associated social media posts... with all that, it's probably 4 hours a day, in between family life, a day job, and other hobbies - the latter of which have fallen by the wayside to make room for this YT thing.

-John
This is just a small time hobby for me and it's already cut into my video game time. Now I just edit all night..

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
This is just a small time hobby for me and it's already cut into my video game time. Now I just edit all night..

Right? My Switch sits unplayed, my DVR keeps yelling at me that it's nearly full, the dishes are piling up, the kids are unwashed & feral now, and I sit here going clicky-clicky spin the dial clicky-clicky edit.

-John

• Haha
Reactions: Baldbiker

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
If my head count is correct, Yammie Noob has at least 4 people working for him, and has had them on the payroll for a while. Spite, Heather?, Some editor dude, and I'm pretty sure I saw a 4th assistant in one of his vids. I bet all that Manscape money keeps them well fed - and groomed!

But yeah, once you're up there in subs [I'd guess 500k plus], you really need or want at least 1 assistant to take some of the workload off of you.

I wonder if it's even possible to get over 100K subs with just one person motovlogging and doing all the work themselves on a very casual one video per week basis? At a hobby level of effort rather than a career full time 60+ hour per week with staff members level?

Even Jess from Her Two Wheels had to really push and put tons of effort into her channel to get it over 100K subs.

Maybe I'll make that my motovlogging goal: to see how large I can grow my channel while keeping it as a hobby with minimal effort! :D

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I wonder if it's even possible to get over 100K subs with just one person motovlogging and doing all the work themselves on a very casual one video per week basis? At a hobby level of effort rather than a career full time 60+ hour per week with staff members level?

Even Jess from Her Two Wheels had to really push and put tons of effort into her channel to get it over 100K subs.

Maybe I'll make that my motovlogging goal: to see how large I can grow my channel while keeping it as a hobby with minimal effort! :D

I bet it's possible, but you really have to be on top of the trends and only make videos that are virtually guaranteed views and subs.

Given your reluctance to do that, and your need/want to keep at 1vid/week, we're all watching to see how big you get :D

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Spicy110 does all his own work and is close on 100,000 subs now. TheMissendenFlyer has over 200,000 subs and I think he does all his own work too :)
Although Spicy is full time, TMF still has a day job.

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
100k+ subs driving other streams of income from the brand outside of YouTube is what I'd expect it to take to go full time; YouTube being more of a vehicle to revenue instead of the revenue itself.

I do think having 10k+ subs and a regular audience can open a ton of doors, though, that could lead to new and interesting career/financial paths.

For me the first goal would be to make enough from this hobby to pay for the hobby.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
If I don't buy a new camera for around 10 years, I'll possibly break even at my current level! :D

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
For me the first goal would be to make enough from this hobby to pay for the hobby.

Hey Humes long time no see! I watched an older video of yours the other week and was wondering what happened to you! :cool:

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
Hey Humes long time no see! I watched an older video of yours the other week and was wondering what happened to you! :cool:

Hey Mengy ... extended disappearance for sure. Wild fires last year, electrical issues with my brakes, minor rear end incident and dealing with insurance claim, winter woes knocked me off kilter. Coming out of hibernation now tho.

• Wow

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
I have this conversation with my buds all the time. The reason is we all bust our ass at our day jobs we all hate. My work stress is on another level, not sure how much longer I can keep at it. For us all, I'm sure it would be a dream come true to make a living doing what we love.

There are a few guys in my area that are doing YouTube full time now. You need some sort of vid to blow up, I'm not about to crash my bike for views. I'm not comfortable with getting a bunch of young girls to wash bikes in bikinis as the divorce will be financially crippling.

5 years ago before the YouTube changes I was making $30 a month with 200 subs, I'm at 1100 subs now and still making $30 a month. It's a hobby, I really need to make a point to do it but it's even hard to find time to ride.

The other part, I don't think the motorcycle CPM is very good. Need to mix it up.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
5 years ago before the YouTube changes I was making $30 a month with 200 subs, I'm at 1100 subs now and still making $30 a month. It's a hobby, I really need to make a point to do it but it's even hard to find time to ride.

The other part, I don't think the motorcycle CPM is very good. Need to mix it up.

Yeah, motovlogging doesn't pay good CPM on YouTube.

I have a friend who has an investment / finance channel on YT and he keeps telling me to start a channel in finance in order to make the most YT money for time invested. Problem is I have zero interest in doing that, so no I don't think I will.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Yeah, motovlogging doesn't pay good CPM on YouTube.

I have a friend who has an investment / finance channel on YT and he keeps telling me to start a channel in finance in order to make the most YT money for time invested. Problem is I have zero interest in doing that, so no I don't think I will.

And if my experience and research is any indicator, doing videos you don't have a passion for... well, they come out flat and don't garner the views and subs you're looking for.

For me, I'm gonna keep doing what I want to do, and to hell with the rest. New toy I want to buy, test out, and review on my channel? DONE. New bike I want to talk about? There's another video? Rode to 7-11 to get a f**king Slurpee 'cause it was 100F out? S**t, I gotta edit that one still.

I'm in it to have fun and make a little money on the side, so if it interests me, I'm gonna record the f**king thing. And yes, I've had a few, it's my 10th anniversary with my wife tomorrow so I did a 4-hour ride on my Harley [with her on her Harley] today, so I'm dehydrated and drank some bourbon tonight around the fire pit with friends [and the wife] and that's what you get... rambling John who's drank a bit much for one evening.

That reminds me, my cup is almost empty, time for a refill :D Cheers!

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts