Do you nod to other bikers?

• Total voters

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
In South Africa, we nod. Some will put their hand up, but not wave. Rarely a salute.

At traffic lights bikers generally greet. Some will have whole conversations with you :D

2WDutch

Wannabie Member
Jul 28, 2017
Netherlands
I ride a
Kawasaki Z1000
When it is safe to do, I always stick out my hand to other bikers, weird enough chopper / Harley riders never wave back, a special kind here in the Netherlands i guess.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
since fitting a chrome headlight on my V7 I've notice a lot less folk return my nods

Panotaker

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Austin, Texas
I ride a
2008 Yamaha FJR-1300
Here in the states, we mostly wave. We nod if for some reason you can't take your hands off the handle bars, like at a stop light, where you have the clutch pulled in. I find that about 80% of riders wave. I don't know why some riders don't wave, maybe they didn't see me, maybe they are beginners, maybe they are on the phone, or maybe they are just snobs. When I first started riding back in the 70's, we waved by raising a closed fist, which stood for motorcycle power, which I thought was a super cool wave. But people don't wave like that any more, probably because it is also the sign of the Black Panthers, so people quit giving the motorcycle power wave. I still use it, since I think it's cool.

RealSteveB

Wannabie Member
Aug 4, 2017
Cape cod, USA
I ride a
Yamaha R6, Ninja 650, CB 350
Wave to most depending on road conditions and the such. Waved to a bike cop heading the other direction once and he waved back even though i was way over the speed limit-about 60 in a 35. I didn't realize he was a cop until he went by and my sphincter instantly clenched. He never turned around or anything.

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Most of the time i will nod. But having said that, i wont if i'm busy concentrating.. i.e.. coming to stop or a roundabout etc... but 9/10 i will nod. The only other time i refuse to nod is if it's
1) a cruiser.
2) a scooter/moped.
3) a bmw rider (most noticeably GS1200 riders...) or any other touring styled bike..

This is because most of the time i just get showed up anyway.

Matt Leech

What chicken strips?
Jul 17, 2017
Sheffield
I ride a
BMW F800 GT
Is it ok for me to wave to oncoming and overtaking bikes when I'm in my old mx-5 with the roof down?

I guess that any biker other than the one in the car would be left wondering what's wrong, so ok I've answered my own question :p

It's very tempting to do though. Maybe a thumbs up?

Reactions: HippoDrone

RealSteveB

Wannabie Member
Aug 4, 2017
Cape cod, USA
I ride a
Yamaha R6, Ninja 650, CB 350
Is it ok for me to wave to oncoming and overtaking bikes when I'm in my old mx-5 with the roof down?

I guess that any biker other than the one in the car would be left wondering what's wrong, so ok I've answered my own question :p

It's very tempting to do though. Maybe a thumbs up?
Do all cars wave to each other now? My fiance does it in her Wrangler, and I guess It's a Mini Cooper thing too- I got one 2 months ago.

Panotaker

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Austin, Texas
I ride a
2008 Yamaha FJR-1300
So let me get this straight, in the UK you guys don't wave, you nod instead? In the USA, we mostly wave. What do other countries do. I'm curious.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
.... sometimes we tip our cap or raise a toast by lifting our cup of tea in a very reserved manner whilst mumbling under our breath what what! lol :D

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
So let me get this straight, in the UK you guys don't wave, you nod instead? In the USA, we mostly wave. What do other countries do. I'm curious.

We ride/drive on the left. It will be a bit dangerous to take our throttle hand away lol, i dont fancy getting rear ended. And to use the other hand is just awkward imo

Matt Leech

What chicken strips?
Jul 17, 2017
Sheffield
I ride a
BMW F800 GT
I didn't even think of the throttle hand thing

My lesson instructor told me that I should raise/lower visor with left hand only, for same reason.

However, relative to the vehicle behind me, I'm never going slow enough for a dip of the clutch to put me in danger of a rear-end, so when I deem it safe to do so I pull the clutch, point, wave, smile...well I know I'm smiling even if they don't.

I waved to a car this morning too, one that pulled out on me and didn't apologise.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts