whingnut

Squidbilly
Jul 29, 2016
Virginia beach VA
I ride a
2008 KLR 650 modified for TAT
Distinguished Gentlemen's ride.
Ride update!

This year the ride is on 27 SEPT 2020 which is a sunday and the plan they have is for a Solo ride and send in video and photos. its a world wide event so you can check in your area for one.

if i'm inport then my wife and I are going to do it. It has been fun each time i've gone and we get to look dapper! (even though i look like a russain hitman in a suit and tye).

If a route isn't provided i'll plot my own and we are taking a picnic with us. of course we will be filming it and hopefully i can get Mrs. Whingnut to vlog too.

The ride is partnered with Movember Charity and Triumph Motorcycles. I will be supporting this whether i can ride or not simply because any money raised is going for cancer research while getting to enjoy your Hobby.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I've never done one, although I guess I have the perfect bike for it with my Moto Guzzi V7

Reactions: R-Rated

Fool Moon

Wannabie Member
Jun 25, 2020
Northridge, California
I ride a
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
I was/am interested in the DGR, but the Triumph Thunderbird isn't accepted by the organizers. I think my bike, esp now that it's discontinued, is more of a "modern classic" then a scrambler.

Reactions: HippoDrone

whingnut

Squidbilly
Jul 29, 2016
Virginia beach VA
I ride a
I've never done one, although I guess I have the perfect bike for it with my Moto Guzzi V7
any bike is perfect for it. i did the 2018 in Norfolk / Va Beach and we had everything out there. i will say the Indians, Urals and Moto Guzzis got the attention of most.

whingnut

Squidbilly
Jul 29, 2016
Virginia beach VA
I ride a
I was/am interested in the DGR, but the Triumph Thunderbird isn't accepted by the organizers. I think my bike, esp now that it's discontinued, is more of a "modern classic" then a scrambler.
WHAT? i'm on a 2011 Rocket 3 touring! our orgainizers never cared what you rode. they just wanted you to show up and enjoy yourself while supporting a charity. we had busas, dual sports and adventer bikes there too. maybe i need to reread the links i posted.

Last edited:

whingnut

Squidbilly
Jul 29, 2016
Virginia beach VA
I ride a
@Fool Moon i just read this :

Can I still ride if I don't have a Cafe Racer, Bobber, Classic, Tracker, Scrambler, Old School Chopper, Modern Classic, Sidecar, Classic Scooter, or Brat Styled motorcycle?

DGR is about the niches within the motorcycle community, consisting of motorcycles that you might not regularly see during your daily commute. If you can borrow or rent a suitable bike, and are dressed appropriately, we encourage you to register and join the ride. If not, and you’d still like to support the event, a donation is a wonderful way to do so, as well as reach out to your local organiser to help them behind the scenes as volunteers.

i say it may depend on the orgainizer but the Tbird is a Modern Classic in my book. just look dapper AF while bending those rules.

Fool Moon

Wannabie Member
Jun 25, 2020
Northridge, California
I ride a
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
@Fool Moon i just read this :

Can I still ride if I don't have a Cafe Racer, Bobber, Classic, Tracker, Scrambler, Old School Chopper, Modern Classic, Sidecar, Classic Scooter, or Brat Styled motorcycle?

DGR is about the niches within the motorcycle community, consisting of motorcycles that you might not regularly see during your daily commute. If you can borrow or rent a suitable bike, and are dressed appropriately, we encourage you to register and join the ride. If not, and you’d still like to support the event, a donation is a wonderful way to do so, as well as reach out to your local organiser to help them behind the scenes as volunteers.

i say it may depend on the orgainizer but the Tbird is a Modern Classic in my book. just look dapper AF while bending those rules.
I've inquired to the DGR site about letting the T-bird in, but no response. Not a let-down, not interested in joining something i have to ask 3 times to join.

whingnut

Squidbilly
Jul 29, 2016
Virginia beach VA
I ride a
I've inquired to the DGR site about letting the T-bird in, but no response. Not a let-down, not interested in joining something i have to ask 3 times to join.
Dude i just signed up and started going never even asked or look for motorcycle limitations. But i can definitley see the non response as a turn off on doing it.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
It is what has put me off taking part, the elitism and bike snobbery... My bike is exactly what they'd want in it... but although I applaud charity work... it seems a bit hipster boys club where they can pat each other on the back while really just self promoting their hipster venues and beard wax.

I try to keep charities separate from my hobbies as I can donate directly to any charity I want without putting a bow tie on, and generally, those charities get more by me doing so as they all have their "little" administration costs, not saying DGR is like that, but it is very much worth doing your research on charities before blindly donating, some only end up giving a few pence out of every pount to the actual cause, the rest gets sucked up in admin costs which in reality pay for their "fundraiser" events with the rich and famous so they can all pat themselves on the back to say how awesome they are doing all this work for the needy!

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I’ve often felt the same way. I’ve wanted to do the DGR for years, but they’d rather say no to a bike that doesn’t fit their look than someone willing to help their cause. They’ll take a chopper, but only Classic scooters. It has a boy’s club feel to it much like the strict rules of the scooter canon ball run.

- Wolf

whingnut

Squidbilly
Jul 29, 2016
Virginia beach VA
I ride a
It is what has put me off taking part, the elitism and bike snobbery... My bike is exactly what they'd want in it... but although I applaud charity work... it seems a bit hipster boys club where they can pat each other on the back while really just self promoting their hipster venues and beard wax.

I try to keep charities separate from my hobbies as I can donate directly to any charity I want without putting a bow tie on, and generally, those charities get more by me doing so as they all have their "little" administration costs, not saying DGR is like that, but it is very much worth doing your research on charities before blindly donating, some only end up giving a few pence out of every pount to the actual cause, the rest gets sucked up in admin costs which in reality pay for their "fundraiser" events with the rich and famous so they can all pat themselves on the back to say how awesome they are doing all this work for the needy!
I can also understand that too. i just never had any issue like that from the ride orgainizers in my area or the riders that go to it.

You make a very good point about just blindly giving money out. As for charities i like to check up on them too i like to use.
Charity Watch (Donation to access)
Charity Navigator (Donation)
Give.org

Distinguish Gentlemens rides doesnt show up but Movember does
Movember Rating
Movember on give.org

I'm glad i'm not the only person out in the world that is paraniod about some charities.

• Love

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I’ve often felt the same way. I’ve wanted to do the DGR for years, but they’d rather say no to a bike that doesn’t fit their look than someone willing to help their cause. They’ll take a chopper, but only Classic scooters. It has a boy’s club feel to it much like the strict rules of the scooter canon ball run.

- Wolf

I saw all types of bikes when I went the last two years in Nashville. As long as riders adhered to the dress code, everyone seemed to get along.

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
They had a car version planned for here but cancelled due to the virus...

I may do it this year. Probably will, my mates all do it and talk me into it heh.

Just sucks as I need to tax the Triumph to do it which is fine and all but y'know. Money.

whingnut

Squidbilly
Jul 29, 2016
Virginia beach VA
I ride a
well its happening for us My wife's gear came in and we have the picnic stuff ready to go! just going to do a few practice runs with her to help her get comfortable

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts