Davinci Editing Multi cams & Razor/Blade Tool

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sport Glide
When editing normal videos, I usually use CTRL + B , the blade/razor tool to cut across both video and audio in the same time. I make a cut and then I use Q & W to trim top & tail.

However, when using multicams, the audio automatically gets unlinked from the video, when you switch the camera, but you keep the same audio track, and in that case, if I need to cut something out, the blade/razor tool doesn't work anymore properly or as I want it to, it only cuts the video, and then I need to do an extra click to cut the audio as well.

Does anyone know of another command that will cut through both audio and video even if they are unlinked?

PS: On a similar note, what do you do first when you edit a multicam clip?
Do you do what I'm trying to do basically pretty much both cut/trim and switching the multicams in the same time.. OR do you trim/cut your videos first, and only after at the end you switch the multicams?

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
I cut the video down first before switching multicam views. I don't know a way to re-link them. I sometimes have the same frustration. The only other thing you could do, is use sync bins instead of multicam, and on the cut page, you would paint the alternate views on a separate track, that way the original track is not cut and it stays linked to the audio track.

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
It's glitchy as hell sometimes ... one day I'll get the blade working with CTRL-B ... the next day it doesn't. Can never work out what I'm doing differently. I'm still on 16. Have you upgraded to 17 yet?

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
What I do is to set up my multicam clips, drag them all into the timeline, and then do a rough cut where I'm slicing all the way [CTRL+B] to get rid of the footage that isn't needed/wanted to be in the final video.

Then I go through and do my final edits and fine-tuning, where I change camera angles.

This keeps the A/V linked. If they become unlinked, simply select both the Audio and Video clips [a mouse drag around them will highlight them in red] and then right-click on one and select "Link Clips" at the bottom.

If you're editing and get them unlinked because you did camera angle changes, just do the select/right-click/link steps outlined above, and they'll be synced. Then, any CTRL+B cuts you make will slice through both Audio and Video.

Alex, FWIW, I did post the Multicam tutorial video early - it went live today. [well, yesterday now as it's after midnight my time]

-John

Reactions: Riderguide

WaltInPA

Wannabie Member
Jun 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
www.waltinpa.com
I ride a
2018 Honda CB650F
PS: On a similar note, what do you do first when you edit a multicam clip?
Do you do what I'm trying to do basically pretty much both cut/trim and switching the multicams in the same time.. OR do you trim/cut your videos first, and only after at the end you switch the multicams?

I set the timeline to use my primary camera and audio, then go through and make all of my coarse edits. After that is finished, I'll go back through and make finer cuts. Lastly I go through and do my multi-cam switching

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sport Glide
yes, that seems to be the easiest way. It's just that sometimes do all the edit first, and the Multicam switching at the end.
Thank you, everyone.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I don't do any of that multicam editing combining stuff.

I simply put my Hero 8 footage into Track 1 (helmet cam) and my Hero 7 footage into Track 2 (handlebar cam), sync them up manually, then I run through and cut out the sections from Track 1 where I want to allow Track 2 to show instead.

I'll have to try this multicam combining stuff, but the way I do it has worked just great for me so far, maybe I don't know what I'm missing?

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I don't do any of that multicam editing combining stuff.

I simply put my Hero 8 footage into Track 1 (helmet cam) and my Hero 7 footage into Track 2 (handlebar cam), sync them up manually, then I run through and cut out the sections from Track 1 where I want to allow Track 2 to show instead.

I'll have to try this multicam combining stuff, but the way I do it has worked just great for me so far, maybe I don't know what I'm missing?

Check out my tutorial or @Dewey316 's vid on it ... it's easy to do and it really makes life easier since all you have to do after getting to the rough cut stage is play through and press 1 and 2 on your keyboard to switch camera angles. This speeds up my editing a bit, and if I accidentally delete some footage, it's easier to throw it back in.

-John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Drakhen99 Editing Talk 0

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO