Creating Route/Map Animations

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
This includes using Earth Studio content without attribution.
What they mean with that, is the watermark needs to be visible. If you look at my last poker run video, you see how I used it in the beginning, and the watermark should not be covered up, if you were to follow the rules exactly.

TwistyM

Wannabie Member
Dec 15, 2021
I ride a
Z1000sx, Transalp700 and anything you give me the keys to!
Hi,

I used Garmin Basecamp, it allows you to literally 'play' the route on the map at any speed you like, eg x2 or x100 etc.
I then used Active Presenter to record the action.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Ooo, I didn't know you could do that, may have a play for some green lanes if I can get it to do them!

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Hi,

I used Garmin Basecamp, it allows you to literally 'play' the route on the map at any speed you like, eg x2 or x100 etc.
I then used Active Presenter to record the action.
This gave me an idea!

Harley riders have access to this ride creator online for free to them (and maybe others?). So I wondered what if I scrubbed the timeline what it would do. I did a screen record of the whole program if you are interested.

It also has an offroad mode. And you can import from GPX files -

TwistyM

Wannabie Member
Dec 15, 2021
I ride a
Z1000sx, Transalp700 and anything you give me the keys to!
This gave me an idea!

Harley riders have access to this ride creator online for free to them (and maybe others?). So I wondered what if I scrubbed the timeline what it would do. I did a screen record of the whole program if you are interested.

It also has an offroad mode. And you can import from GPX files -
I did something like this.... as part of an intro I'm working on but you get the idea.

Baldbiker

L Plate Member
Mar 7, 2021
I ride a
Africa Twin DCT
I found an app called "route map generator" some time ago. It uses a google map and draws a line along the waypoints that you set in it by saving like 100 pics with waypoints that you have set along the route, then combines it into a short avi video that you can play. The result is a map with the line being drawn along the roads, Im sure you've seen it done in shows before.

I decided not to bother, it was just too much work for the result, and found that simply saving a screenshot from maps with the route drawn on it seemed to suffice. Perhaps a bit of a cop out, so it comes down to how much work you want to put into it.

If you are a particularly savvy computer guru and like long learning curves, you could also use basecamp.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Or a retro cheesy style would be have a green screen with the map. Then you stand with a pointer stick ala 1980s weather person/military briefing style.
Hah I really like this idea, wish I had a greenscreen!

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Hah I really like this idea, wish I had a greenscreen!
I think some editing software will take a plain background and act like it is a green screen. My old Adobe Premiere used love to take a plain blue sky and asking me if I wanted treat it like a chromakey effect.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Blue and green colors just work best, unless you have similar tone clothing. But in theory any bright colored and well lit background could work

• Love

Titter

Wannabie Member
Aug 14, 2020
I ride a
Multistrada 1200 and Street Triple 675R
I'm looking for ideas on how best to present a route in a video. You know the deal, you're doing a vid about some ride or tour and what to set the stage with a quick clip or animation to show roughly the route you did. A start and end flag, some squiggly lines in-between with some key place names, but not too much detail or text.

What do you use? Any software recommendations?
Or do you just go old skool and record your grubby fingers or a pen on a real paper map?

I know iMovie comes with cheesy animations of planes jetting around the globe, but that's a bit too high level.
In the past I've done ken-burns scrolling across a static Google Maps screen grab, which is OK ish.
I've also done the pen on a paper map thing. Seen Itchy Boots do this with a highlighter, and yeah it does work well TBH.
I've noticed the fully paid up version of MyRoute-App can render an animation, potentially an option.

• Love

Motogato

Wannabie Member
Jan 21, 2022
I ride a
CBR600RR 07
I'm looking for ideas on how best to present a route in a video. You know the deal, you're doing a vid about some ride or tour and what to set the stage with a quick clip or animation to show roughly the route you did. A start and end flag, some squiggly lines in-between with some key place names, but not too much detail or text.

Or do you just go old skool and record your grubby fingers or a pen on a real paper map?

I know iMovie comes with cheesy animations of planes jetting around the globe, but that's a bit too high level.
In the past I've done ken-burns scrolling across a static Google Maps screen grab, which is OK ish.
I've also done the pen on a paper map thing. Seen Itchy Boots do this with a highlighter, and yeah it does work well TBH.
I've noticed the fully paid up version of MyRoute-App can render an animation, potentially an option.
Hey Arfa,
Hope all is good your way!

I know of an optional way of doing it, this is something I have been considering for some time. I don't know what camera you use. But if you use Gopro, all you need is already in there. If you turn on GPS on the gopro, it records metrics about the ride not only gps. You can later overlay those metrics on the video however you please.

Overlaying maps is an option, there are various ways that you can do it and present them.

I have been considering having a map in the corner of my videos that shows my progress, and what is left so they can anticipate the road ahead.

Great idea, let us know what comes of it.
Cheers and safe riding!

advrider

Wannabie Member
May 6, 2022
I ride a
BMW 1250 gsa

For a very basic and easy one you can use Route generator- it is open source and free- https://www.routegenerator.net/

I use geolayers 3 extension for After affects that costs upwards of $200 (you can google it)

advrider

Wannabie Member
May 6, 2022
I ride a
BMW 1250 gsa
I've been trying the geolayers 3 extension for after affects (watching some yt videos on using it for map animations) and this is what i came up with on my first try.

What do you guys think? (this one took like 1 hr)

Ride safe.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
I've been trying the geolayers 3 extension for after affects (watching some yt videos on using it for map animations) and this is what i came up with on my first try.

What do you guys think? (this one took like 1 hr)

Ride safe.

View attachment 6348
That is really impressive!

When the bike was not on a marked road, were you riding off road or on a trail?

Reactions: advrider

advrider

Wannabie Member
May 6, 2022
I ride a
BMW 1250 gsa
That is really impressive!

When the bike was not on a marked road, were you riding off road or on a trail?
Thanks @R-Rated

Roads shown on this animation (zoom level) are the major road networks, the route i got was smaller roads through villages not seen on this zoom level.
To create the animation, all i need is a gpx file for the route and the roads to be available (marked) on the map provider. (here i've used mapbox https://www.mapbox.com/ as my custom map, there's options for other maps aswell like bing, google etc.)
p.s - i still have to travel these route (just doing some animation for practice and learning something new)

advrider

Wannabie Member
May 6, 2022
I ride a
BMW 1250 gsa
And for route planning i use the web version (no restrictions- mobile version needs premium for some features) of calimoto (https://calimoto.com/), create waypoints for the exact roads i want to travel through and then export the route gpx file to create the animation and also use the gpx file on a offline navigation app like osmAnd (https://osmand.net/) -small annual fee for offline maps- 6 maps are free to download i think

I hope mods don't mind me sharing links. I researched a lot to find the best things to make my adventure rides fun and better. So, just sharing with the community the things that i use and find helpful.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
In my new video (it’ll be posted on Tuesday), I created a 2.5D animated map using Adobe After Effects, and a map from Google Maps (the footage is actually from a 2D source, and not fully 3D). Here’s the tutorial I followed.

Hope this helps,

- Wolf

• Love
Reactions: Theodor and R-Rated

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts