Copyright Music

CyberSpy

Wannabie Member
Dec 26, 2016
On your screen
I ride a
Piaggio MP3 250
I won't go into to the complexities of Intellectual Copyright (but as an artist, it ticks me off when my work is used without usage rights of any sort). Another option for royalty free music (but will cost you a couple of bucks) is AudioJungle. It's a tremendous resource that can come in handy.

Another option, is, find a smaller artist who did a cover of a song you like and message them asking them if you can use it (tell them what it's for and that you'll credit them obviously) or find a smaller artist you like and ask them to do a cover song for you. You COULD go bigger and ask larger artists or labels and possibly get lucky and receive usage rights for one video in a reply back from them but don't hold your breath on that.

Captain

Professional Amateur Vlogger
Aug 15, 2016
West Yorkshire. England
I ride a
2008 Yamaha R125
2001 Honda CBR929RR
I let lucky when I asked the record label of Coldplay, In particular for usage of an extended version of 'Sky Full of Stars' that I used as backing music when I published the Blackpool Illumination 2016 video. The only condition was that monetisation went to the record label and not myself. But seen as I make peanuts (broken one's at that) from the ad option on YouTube I wasn't all that bothered. I just linked a credit to the official song/video on their channel.

Not saying it would work everytime and I dare say that it would be frowned upon if I made a habit of it. But as a one-off it compliments the video really well.

TWAAP

TwoWheelsAndAPonytail
Oct 28, 2016
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Husqvarna Nuda 900 & Yamaha SZR 660
When you make a video, with on the background (not edited, but in real) a song (with copyright). Is that illegal? I don't know how to explain in English...
Understand what I mean? .....

Welll.....for example....
I make a movie in the kitchen from making a pizza.......with famous numbers from my radio on the background..... is that copyright? When I upload the video?

Captain

Professional Amateur Vlogger
Aug 15, 2016
West Yorkshire. England
I ride a
2008 Yamaha R125
2001 Honda CBR929RR
When you make a video, with on the background (not edited, but in real) a song (with copyright). Is that illegal? I don't know how to explain in English...
Understand what I mean? .....

Welll.....for example....
I make a movie in the kitchen from making a pizza.......with famous numbers from my radio on the background..... is that copyright? When I upload the video?
You could argue it's incidental background noise much the same as sitting at traffic lights next to a youth with a £100 car and a £1000 stereo with his window down.

voodoo

Youtube: Biker Voodoo
Mar 3, 2017
I ride a
Kawasaki Versys 650
I've been using NCS (NoCopyrightSounds) music on videos it seems to work well. Some good music which sounds pretty professional. Downside is you do come across a lot of music that has been used to death sadly

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
US copyright laws by way of the Library of Congress are very specific about what protections are offered to a copyright owner. Even though Youtube may not go after, or police music that is not a current hit, that doesn't mean the original copyright owner may not ask Youtube to ban the video, or the channel owner themselves.

Even if you are not profiting form the video, and/or the music, you are still in violation of a copyrighted item -- music, picture, video clip, etc. ... . by the illegal act of copying it without the owner's permission. This is all looked on as over-saturating a potential demographic, an area, region or market that could have an impact on the owner's ability to profit from their own work. In other words, if you own something, but people are putting it out there for free, it will be hard for you to profit from it later.

Because of this everything from record labels, to film studios will aggressively (like with an army of lawyers) go after copyright violators of their work. There are numerous stories of Disney suing daycare centers for having a mural of their characters to even individuals with tattoos of Disney copyrighted images.

Another reason for this is because of the legal nature of Copyright trials. If an owner allows one entity to use their work unchallenged -- say a T-Shirt vendor, but sues a Daycare center, a (Federal) judge will ask why did they allow one enterprise to use their work, but not another? This means if they do not aggressively protect their products all the time, future copyright cases are then weakened.

To legally obtain permission to a copyrighted sound track a vloger needs to acquire two Rights - Master Rights, generally obtained through the recored label, and the Synch Rights obtained by the musician/copyright holder. Both can range from free, to cheap to incredibly expensive.

In the past I obtained a the Festival (a combination of both) Rights to the song I, Lucifer by the band The Real Tuesday Weld at a cost of $1 USD for a single year. This was due to the owner's appreciation with how I politely asked them, but also their support of the short film I used it for. Currently, I'm seeking both the Master and Synch rights to a U2 song for another short film I've made.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Finding Royalty free music is another good option.

In the past I would go to Myspace to look for musicians. Many often describe themselves as not having been signed to a record label. If you like their music, contact them and ask for permission to use their track. Many are thrilled to do so because it gives them exposure. I produce a half-hour public access TV show in Philadelphia. For each episode I try to find music from independent musicians to play over the ending credits. The majority of them I've found on Myspace.

Wuf

Superballs

Superballs' Supervids
Jul 16, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I ride a
1999 VFR800Fi
I have a couple of videos that have copyrighted material.

To answer a couple of questions. I think incidental background noise would only apply if the music being played is specifically not your fault or doing. Someone elses car stereo being a good example. Your car stereo...it's your fault and you had control over it.

I have a video of my wife learning to drive stick, and Nickelback was playing on the radio. It's an unlisted video, and was never monetized by myself, and is only shared with friends and family. It still got dinged as containing copyrighted material (no strike, just flagged and monetized by the copyright owner). Had I gotten a copyright strike on this video, I would have probably heavily appealed as it is a personal video, not public and only for sharing with friends and family, and it's important for me to keep my copyright status clean.

I have another video that was public but never monetized (uploaded before youtube really got heavy in this copyright mess and before I could monetize anything), that was me recreating a VHS tape I had created in 1999, of the first two tracks of Pantera's Re-inventing the Steel (Hellbound/Goddamn Electric) synced to the intro CGI to Final Fantasy 8. It's also monetized by the copyright owners and didn't result in a strike against me. I'm glad though that it didn't get muted, and was more for my own nostalgia than anything, so I'm just really glad that it's up on Youtube.

My first video ever was flagged as well, and I've since removed it anyway, as it really wasn't all that great and it was something I thought was cool at the time but became "totally over it" later.

Using Copywritten material is a risk, and in the end, unless you will garner a lot of views without getting a strike on your account because of it, I would ask a friend to play some music or something, I mean, look at the Angry Video Game Nerd's intro, it was terrible at first, but still memorable, and that's more important that shiny production values. Even after it got polished up a bit, it was still pretty lo-fi in nature.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
A lot of copyright infringements and those who go after the violators isn't always about money, but controlling how exposed or oversaturated content is. If someone wants to make money off their own content, but it's been overexposed to a demographic
because of overexposure by copyright violators than the original owners attempt to profit form it is damage.

I have two videos with copyrighted material on them and have regretted it ever since. I haven't been flagged -- knock on wood.

- Wuf

Reactions: Superballs

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts