Contour HD or Go-Pro??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Honda Hornet - With Beast Of A Micron Exhaust
I had planned on getting a sonybloggie as my next camera, however I now have a job and more money, so should I get the contour HD or the Go-Pro? What are the pro's and con's of each one.

pizzaonaninja

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Behind you
I ride a
Trek 8500
don't get any. get a drift hd 170.

on your note, the contour is smaller and the most recent version has external sound input., the GoPro comes with the water proof case, but has awful sound.

bakker46

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Veenendaal
fzr600rw.blogspot.com
I ride a
Kawasaki zr7-s suzuki ux150 Triumph 3TA
I'm with the pizza guy LOL

If you buy the Drift stealth old model you probably can get a good deal as it is soon to be replaced by the new smaller one. Great quality video , external mic with great sound. Really like the Drift , i think it's the best of the Contour and the Gopro combined. :D

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
bakker46 said:
Looks ok , but remember if you want to vlog you will need an audio recorder or something like it. This camera has no mic in and audio quality is quite bad for vlogging ;)

i have a something i can record sound with all ready, also the drifts I've just look at are around the 200 quid mark, from what i've seen (i might be wrong) contours or go-pro are easier to pick up for about 150

launch

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2011
Gnarth America
www.launchhelmetcams.ca
I ride a
Bunch of different two wheeled badboys.
The differences are most apparent in the shape of the design, and then some superfluous features in Contour's different models. There are pros and cons to every design, and it really just depends on which is best for your application (i.e. which drawbacks you are willing to suffer through). While GoPros are notoriously rugged with the housing they come in, contour has a bunch of features that set it apart (perhaps not so much with the lower end '1080')

Contour:
- Low profile shape and rotatable lens makes them great for head mounting. Likewise, the sliding recording switch takes the guesswork out of knowing if it is on or off (it can be tough with a gopro, since it is just a beep and an LED)
- Bluetooth viewfinder on the GPS and PLUS allows you to use smart phones (iphones + android) to check angles and adjust exposure settings.
- Replaceable lenses, and 37 mm adaptor option to use filters
- Waterproof cases rated up to 60 m deep (relatively flat lens enhances focus underwater also, probably not a big deal for motorvlogging)
- All standard HD Resolutions and Framerates (up to 60 fps @ 720)

There was recently a big price drop with the GPS and the 1080 as the 1080 is being discontinued and replaced at some point in the fall. There has been no info on what (if any) new product will be released, but it is definitely a good time to pick up a solid camera at a decent price point before they are all liquidated.

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
launch said:
The differences are most apparent in the shape of the design, and then some superfluous features in Contour's different models. There are pros and cons to every design, and it really just depends on which is best for your application (i.e. which drawbacks you are willing to suffer through). While GoPros are notoriously rugged with the housing they come in, contour has a bunch of features that set it apart (perhaps not so much with the lower end '1080')
whats the edit software like that comes with the contour??

launch

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2011
Gnarth America
www.launchhelmetcams.ca
I ride a
Bunch of different two wheeled badboys.
The editing software that contour comes with is 'storyteller' (http://contour.com/software/storyteller) software. You dont HAVE to use storyteller to edit your videos, but you do if you want to have the GPS data overlaid in the GPS and PLUS models. It also is nice for automatically updating firmware, and adjusting your camera settings.
Contour exports files in the .MOV extension, so it is easy to use storyteller and another editing software in conjunction with one another in a task dependent manner (for example I use storyteller for updates and adjusting settings and edit with imovie). Storyteller certainly isn't hard to use, it just may limit some serious videographer types, if they really want to play with footage in post production.

pizzaonaninja

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Behind you
I ride a
Trek 8500
launch said:
There was recently a big price drop with the GPS and the 1080 as the 1080 is being discontinued and replaced at some point in the fall. There has been no info on what (if any) new product will be released

what about the contour+?

Gogosor

Wannabie Member
Jul 24, 2011
France
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki Bandit 600S
I would hold off, save up and get the drift, with a mic in. The Contour 1080 is not well built. Examples:

- The rotating lens gets loose in the top (0 degree rotation) & the lens wobbles, so you end up with unusable video.
- The battery doesn't sit well in the camera, so it cuts out. (This can be fixed by wedging paper in it, as seen on the Contour forum http://support.contour.com/contour)
- You need to format the SD card every time you use it, or the camera crashes after recording the first 36min
- Almost unusable in summer, the magnetic slider on the camera gets weaker with heat/direct sunlight, so when you slide it into REC, nothing happens. (I carry a magnet to get the camera to start)

It's a shame as it looks great, with a small form factor; just getting it to behave is annoying...

Gogosor

Wannabie Member
Jul 24, 2011
France
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki Bandit 600S
CurlyBlakey said:
Just like to say that my contour is rok solid and I have never experienced any of the problems gogosor has listed

My one must be the runt of the litter, I'm not trying to discredit the Contour, guess I got unlucky.

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Gogosor said:
I would hold off, save up and get the drift, with a mic in. The Contour 1080 is not well built.

I have enough money to buy a Drift, but i dont want to spend that amount

pizzaonaninja

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Behind you
I ride a
Trek 8500
Chessecake94 said:
Gogosor said:
I would hold off, save up and get the drift, with a mic in. The Contour 1080 is not well built.

I have enough money to buy a Drift, but i dont want to spend that amount

DO IT! I COMMAND YOU TO!

besides, launch gave us a 10% disc with him, remember?

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
pizzaonaninja said:
$349 pretty much 349 english pounds, then import/shipping across the pond, at that cost 10% isnt much

pizzaonaninja

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Behind you
I ride a
Trek 8500
Chessecake94 said:
pizzaonaninja said:
$349 pretty much 349 english pounds, then import/shipping across the pond, at that cost 10% isnt much

woops. sorry, hadn't noticed your location (you should update that)

XXX526

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Missouri
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Don't forget to look at the Replay XD - IMO, the best one out there right now, with the new (smaller) Drift a very close runner-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CollingsB Camera Setups 32
G Camera Setups 11

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts