Channel Name Concern

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
So, a friend of mine pointed out that there's a show on ABC here in the US called Shark Tank. I don't watch TV unless it's sports so I had no idea. So it caused me to think of a couple things.

1. I wonder if people think I ripped off the name. I didn't and I don't know if I even care about that piece.
2. Then I thought "self, let's check registered business names in FL for 'SHARKTANK.' There are 2. The Shark Tank, LLC. and Shark Tank Media. I'm not sure what either of these registered businesses do, but should I be concerned with this at all? I mean my channel is such a small blip of a nothing channel, but maybe one day there will be even some marginal earnings from it.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
only concern would be if your content had a contradicting stance from one of the others, if they were there first and they object to your content then they may have an issue. If you have sub 500 views per video then they may not care but if you get a video to go viral they may not like it. Before you get too deep, is it worth considering a rebrand to something more unique to you?

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
So, a friend of mine pointed out that there's a show on ABC here in the US called Shark Tank. I don't watch TV unless it's sports so I had no idea. So it caused me to think of a couple things.

1. I wonder if people think I ripped off the name. I didn't and I don't know if I even care about that piece.
2. Then I thought "self, let's check registered business names in FL for 'SHARKTANK.' There are 2. The Shark Tank, LLC. and Shark Tank Media. I'm not sure what either of these registered businesses do, but should I be concerned with this at all? I mean my channel is such a small blip of a nothing channel, but maybe one day there will be even some marginal earnings from it.

If you really wanted to worry with it you could research the scope of their licensing but I believe the term c shark tank" has been around for a while. For example, when I started working where I am now we had a training class of 30+ people. Each table had to choose a name for their group and make a sign. We were the Sexy Six at first but HR class changed that and we went with The Shark Tank due to biting wit.

I thought you were playing on the premise that the Road Glide is known as a shark nosed bike as in #SharkNation.

Reactions: Sharktank

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
The shark nose is one of the major things that ties into my naming. There are a few others. Tampa Bay being chock full of various species of sharks is another. And since this is my stomping ground, makes sense. Lastly, I've been an avid mmo player for many years and I ALWAYS play what's known as "tank" characters in any game that has such a role.

I haven't found any other channels with that name. I intend to look into what those 2 active businesses actually do at some point today. I don't think I want to rebrand. If people think of the TV show, that's 100% coincidental since I didn't even know that existed until they pointed it out.

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
It appears both registered names are tied into the same business. It's a Florida specific political news website. Not sure why the need for 2 separate LLC's.

Here it is http://shark-tank.com/

Maybe rebranding early on is the answer. I kinda liked the name.

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
The only real danger you have is your content being lost in youtube because people will be searching for shark tank the show and not shark tank the motovlog.

Quick search on youtube for channels with sharktank has 14,000+ results, shark tank has 36,000+ results. Are you sure you want to compete against that?

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
The only real danger you have is your content being lost in youtube because people will be searching for shark tank the show and not shark tank the motovlog.

Quick search on youtube for channels with sharktank has 14,000+ results, shark tank has 36,000+ results. Are you sure you want to compete against that?

This is an excellent point. At minimum, I hadn't considered that, but it made me think about it and I appreciate that.

I do wonder if direct searches for "sharktank" or "shark tank" would be what leads people to videos. Or any youtuber's names for that matter. Looking at analytics on my fishing channel (95k views--small) or my old brewing channel (116k views-still small), nobody was searching my name there. They were either searching for keywords in the title, tag, or recommended videos on topic.

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
When you think about it the only time people might really search for your name is when you mention it somewhere (like a forum)

You could also play off the name and do a shark tank spoof.

You could also leverage off some of their keywords if you really want as well.

Reactions: Sharktank

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
Well, I ended up doing something most folks did not recommend and I consolidated my YouTube channels. I'm going to get my motovlogs over there soon, but that's a lot of data and I figure I'll wait until Sunday when I'm off. I will be focusing on doing things on my motorcycle, even though there's a lot more already on that channel. It's just my real name on it. That way, I have no danger of the naming thing, and I can build on my own brand versus behind a username.

I made a HUGE mistake which so far has cost me nearly 30 subscribers. I mass-uploaded a bunch of videos from another channel, but I did not deselect the "notify subscribers" option, so everyone got spammed 32 times... Ouch.

Anyway, new link in my signature. Or is it my old link?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
i've unsubbed your old channel and subbed to your new(original) one :)

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts