Channel Art Best Practices?

SalvageSV

Hopes he doesn't crash this month
Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
Does anyone have any best practices to share for producing channel art? I'm not having much initial luck making something I'm happy with for all devices. See my current art here:

channel art.png

I'm just not happy with it.

I found the page on YouTube that gives suggestions and supplies device templates, so I'm going to spend a little more time on it. https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2972003?p=picker_channel_art&hl=en&rd=1

But, I'm interested to see if you all might have some insight on things that have worked for you.

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
I mainly aim for art that fits the browser size the best. Check your "devices" tab on the analyctics page in creator studio and see what your sources are. Catering to your main source makes sense to me.
Personally I have just a plain photo of my bike as the banner. And most popular channels I see have pretty "browser centric" banners rather than something made with the full screen in mind like on TV.

Beyond that, graphic design skills might help. I like to view the banner as something like how a window sets the mood of a room.
Also I'm not sure if the pic you have with the blurred bike in the BG is the best option, might be a source of unhappiness.

JonJeoprdy

Wanderer...
May 16, 2016
Colorado
I ride a
F800GS
Good topic! When I was originally setting up my banner it was just a ton of trial and error... mostly error. Thanks for the template link I will definitely be using that.

Going forward I plan on catering to the browser first then the mobile and TV will be what it is.

SalvageSV

Hopes he doesn't crash this month
Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
I mainly aim for art that fits the browser size the best. Check your "devices" tab on the analyctics page in creator studio and see what your sources are. Catering to your main source makes sense to me.
Personally I have just a plain photo of my bike as the banner. And most popular channels I see have pretty "browser centric" banners rather than something made with the full screen in mind like on TV.

Beyond that, graphic design skills might help. I like to view the banner as something like how a window sets the mood of a room.
Also I'm not sure if the pic you have with the blurred bike in the BG is the best option, might be a source of unhappiness.
Good feedback! Looks like I get desktop, then mobile, then TV traffic. I'll pull up the templates and knock something out based on that. I didn't consider the blurry bike being an issue, but I can see it now that you mention it. I'll adjust.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
I went to source for a template, just for the dimensions, and then found just a basic photo, resized the photo so that the main part on all platforms are shown properly. I was recently advised to add some text in the banner to explain what the channel was about. Went back to edit (again using a template for the dimensions). Simple & basic, cause I'm not a Photoshop Guru. :)

art_demo.jpg

MiGlyRides

Geordie-Aussie
Jan 5, 2016
Gold Coast, Queensland
I ride a
Honda CBR 500 RA & Honda MSX 125 (GROM)
Don't forget that it shows up differently on DESKTOP too depending on resolution, left screen is 1920x1080 & right one is 3200x1800

HZ4gGLa.png

Amalgam509

Wannabie Member
Jul 3, 2016
Eastern Washington State
I ride a
2015 Suzuki GSX-S 750
A template sounds awesome, I just rolled the dice and raged on my keyboard every time something didn't work. 6 years later something finally worked and I said meh and here we are.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts