Capturing Audio when already using Comms (Cardo)

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
Hello everyone. I thought I would start to vlog my rides as they are so excellent, everyone needs to see them.

Also wanted to get a comms device so OBVIOUSLY thought I could get a one size option. Clearly I was wrong. . . . .

The cleanest way that I have found so far is to buy Sena Comms, Go Pro 3/4 and a Sena backpack for Go Pro. I don't see Cardo having a backpack for Go Pro and every other direction is the dual mic scenario or a splitter on the mic output that goes into the GOPRO (not Sena) Backpack.

Im starting to go blind after looking at the options and watching too many US based set up vlogs so I just need some sort of assurance that this is what y'all know too....

I've got 2 mic's in my main helmet, one for the cam and one for comms (Interphone). Although my next set up uses 2 Interphone mics - one for the headset and an advanced boom mic for the camera. Testing it tomorrow. They aren't intrusive, so I don't see the issue with having 2 mics.

I've tried the purple panda and a cheap gaming boom mic - both actually perform fine, I'm just being fussy.

Audio is fun to get right for sure. It's as much about your helmet as it is the mic from what I can tell so far.

Jimarillo

Wannabie Member
Aug 13, 2020
I ride a
S1000RR
I've got 2 mic's in my main helmet, one for the cam and one for comms (Interphone). Although my next set up uses 2 Interphone mics - one for the headset and an advanced boom mic for the camera. Testing it tomorrow. They aren't intrusive, so I don't see the issue with having 2 mics.

I've tried the purple panda and a cheap gaming boom mic - both actually perform fine, I'm just being fussy.

Audio is fun to get right for sure. It's as much about your helmet as it is the mic from what I can tell so far.
Cool. So you run a Purple panda direct into a go pro or via a mic adaptor ?

I am thinking about running a second mic but placing up in the ear setting so that it picks up the incredible chat.

Teh Purp

Friendly Neighbourhood Idiot
Aug 9, 2020
SCOTLAND!
I ride a
SFV650, NC700x, anything im given
the purple pands seems to be the go to for motovlogging cos it does such an amazing job of killing that wind noise, i mean even the prod have dificulty with edditing out wind noise alot of the time. and the quality is great, just pitty the avalability is about on par with the gopro addapter.....

my personal set up i currently have 3 mics, not for any real reason other than iv got a headset (chinisium special) eith a mic, and iv got an old sena mic iv addapted to work with a notmal mic jack, and am testing a random lav mic atm, with this set up if i decide to keep it i can run some sort of redundancy on the mics if i can be bothered to deal with the inherant pain in the ass that it creates.

anyway, back to the topic, you can get apps that record the bluetooth headset for android (id assume its the same with ios) but not suire how that plays ball with the actual coms part of the headsets, i personally cant test that sadly. but if you want best of both worlds im sure there are cardos with headphone jacks, that will allow you to split the audio to an external recorder or the camera, an external audio will mean synching up, but will allow you to adjust levels n such in post.

hope that jumbled mess is somewhat helpfull...... if even on topic....

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
Cool. So you run a Purple panda direct into a go pro or via a mic adaptor ?

I am thinking about running a second mic but placing up in the ear setting so that it picks up the incredible chat.

You need the mic adaptor.

I'm sure your bants are amazing ;)

the purple pands seems to be the go to for motovlogging cos it does such an amazing job of killing that wind noise, i mean even the prod have dificulty with edditing out wind noise alot of the time. and the quality is great, just pitty the avalability is about on par with the gopro addapter.....

my personal set up i currently have 3 mics, not for any real reason other than iv got a headset (chinisium special) eith a mic, and iv got an old sena mic iv addapted to work with a notmal mic jack, and am testing a random lav mic atm, with this set up if i decide to keep it i can run some sort of redundancy on the mics if i can be bothered to deal with the inherant pain in the ass that it creates.

anyway, back to the topic, you can get apps that record the bluetooth headset for android (id assume its the same with ios) but not suire how that plays ball with the actual coms part of the headsets, i personally cant test that sadly. but if you want best of both worlds im sure there are cardos with headphone jacks, that will allow you to split the audio to an external recorder or the camera, an external audio will mean synching up, but will allow you to adjust levels n such in post.

hope that jumbled mess is somewhat helpfull...... if even on topic....

The Purple Panda can be bought directly from them in the UK and is shipped by Amazon. Mine arrived next day buying direct: https://www.purplepandastore.com/products/purple-panda-lavalier-microphone-kit

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Hi. Audio issues are the hardest to overcome but your solution should work fine, if you are happy with older tech cameras (nothing wrong with the GoPro Hero 4 btw)
My main helmet has a Sena mic and a camera mic in the chin
You're right HippoDrone, audio issues are why I have hours video but nothing really to show for it. I have tried so many different mics, and also external separate recorders, and then after all that trying to sync up my GoPro Hero footage with the external mic Audio is hard, it has all been pretty bad sounding, until I made the jump and bought a GoPro Hero4 and a Purple Panda Lav Mic kit. I listened to some raw audio+video footage I recorded on my CBR a couple days ago and it's not bad. Hoping to make it even better in post then up load it sometime next week.

Reactions: HippoDrone

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Shoot can't go back and edit after two minutes sorry for the double looking post but the two mics that just totally failed me was a PowerDewise Lav and a PopVoice Lav, they are just to sensitive for some reason and create a lot of crackling sound on them.

Reactions: HippoDrone

AndrewF

The Broke Petrol Head
Jul 10, 2020
Cork, Ireland
I ride a
2007 Suzuki V-Strom dl650
I have been trying a cheap work around for this audio issue, not ideal or as clean as i would like but seems to be working ok for now.. with all the bits I am trying to gather up cost is an issue ( also have a project car and bike eating into the monthly salary ).. As well as having the Bluetooth comms installed in my helmet i now have a second cheap mic behind the cheek pad on the other side and run the cable down into the breast pocket of my jacket and connected to an old iphone 5 i had lying around ( using a second phone like this means im not attached to the bike and can get off and walk around without having to de-mount phone every time) This seems to be working well and means im not having to run another app on my main phone which is quadlocked on the bike and sometimes used for gps or helmet shots while riding. Only down side is the extra element that you have to include in editing.

I have also been testing other helmets, the flip front AGV ive been using till now is quite noisy, this never bothered me when i was just riding ( i like a bit of wind noise and buffing lets me know im out in the air and not wrapped up in a car). A cheap fixed face helmet was an improvement over the flip front and am waiting for some time to try in a borrowed adv style as well before deciding what to buy

Reactions: YBGuy
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SweetTripl Camera Setups 27