Camera Mount On Shoei Rf-1200?

DStudio

Wannabie Member
Sep 30, 2017
I ride a
2015 YZF-R1
Woah, no they are definitely not the same. I bought one of Disillusioned's mounts and it didn't fit right, and didn't come with a pad. Lead time was terrible and there was little communication. THEN I bought one from Rob over at HellMounts... Totally different product. Came with a pad, they said it's warrantied, and it fits way better on the helmet than the Shapeways mount did.

I'd buy another one from HellMounts in a minute if they made one for my RPHA 11 also

Raoul Duke
Hey, Disillusioned here, what part of the RF-1200 mount didn't fit right? I would like to know. What size helmet were you putting it on? Also, I reply to all of my direct messages on Shapeways so I am not sure why you said there is "little communication". You didn't message me. Are you saying Shapeways didn't communicate with you well? What happened?

I agree, Shapeways does have a long turn around time, but that is because they print each part fresh before sending them out to you. They don't hold any inventory. They also drop ship for me, which is why the mounts don't include 3M tape (and that is mentioned in the product description). Shapeways is not in the business of applying tape to the models they print. I am considering selling some mounts directly on Amazon, which means I will have inventory, 3M tape applied, and faster shipping.

With that said, I would not trust the mounts from HellMounts. They seem to be printing them on a desktop personal 3D printer which uses Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM). This form of 3D printing should not be used in production products, only for prototypes, which is why I don't sell the ones printed off of my personal printer. The ones I sell are printed using professional Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) printers.

FDM is like a hot glue gun filled with plastic, printing layer by layer, with an opportunity for air contaminants like dust to get in between each layer. It is placing a string of hot melted plastic on top of recently cooled solidified plastic, and this makes the bonds between each layer weak. It is also a very unreliable printing method. With SLS printing all these problems are solved by a very accurate laser sintering a plastic/nylon powder, not a string of plastic, directly on the previous layer. The bonds are incredibly strong.

With FDM you can visibly see the layers as lines in the part, and these lines / layers are weak points in the model. Think of them as pre-cracked areas, and if enough pressure is applied it will snap cleanly on those lines / layers. What is alarming about HellMounts is that they seem to print their mounts with the tape side down, which is the easiest way to print a GoPro mount, but it is the worst way because it means the thin plastic clip section shaped like an L that supports the weight of the camera can crack all the way across and break off very easily. I know this from my own experience, which is why I now print my prototypes with the bottom side down. However, with SLS printing used on the final product this is not an issue.

See this image below. On the left is a prototype mount printed on my personal FDM printer. You can see the lines / layers. The mount on the right is a final product printed on pro SLS printer. No lines / layers visible.

(sorry my account is new and I can't post working links / images yet)
disillusionedstudio(d0t)com/fdm_vs_sls.jpg

Also, HellMounts uses ABS plastic which is brittle, and not very flexible. My SLS printed mounts are printed with a nylon type of plastic which is very strong and slightly flexible which makes it more durable.

Anyways, I would love to just print my mounts from my 3D printer and sell them, because then I could sell them for $5. Which I did to all my riding buddies when I first started. However, they are ugly and their strength can't be trusted. Which is why I have them professionally printed now.

To each his own though.
Ride safe.

Reactions: 2WV

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Raoul Duke
Hey, Disillusioned here, what part of the RF-1200 mount didn't fit right? I would like to know. What size helmet were you putting it on? Also, I reply to all of my direct messages on Shapeways so I am not sure why you said there is "little communication". You didn't message me. Are you saying Shapeways didn't communicate with you well? What happened?

I agree, Shapeways does have a long turn around time, but that is because they print each part fresh before sending them out to you. They don't hold any inventory. They also drop ship for me, which is why the mounts don't include 3M tape (and that is mentioned in the product description). Shapeways is not in the business of applying tape to the models they print. I am considering selling some mounts directly on Amazon, which means I will have inventory, 3M tape applied, and faster shipping.

With that said, I would not trust the mounts from HellMounts. They seem to be printing them on a desktop personal 3D printer which uses Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM). This form of 3D printing should not be used in production products, only for prototypes, which is why I don't sell the ones printed off of my personal printer. The ones I sell are printed using professional Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) printers.

FDM is like a hot glue gun filled with plastic, printing layer by layer, with an opportunity for air contaminants like dust to get in between each layer. It is placing a string of hot melted plastic on top of recently cooled solidified plastic, and this makes the bonds between each layer weak. It is also a very unreliable printing method. With SLS printing all these problems are solved by a very accurate laser sintering a plastic/nylon powder, not a string of plastic, directly on the previous layer. The bonds are incredibly strong.

With FDM you can visibly see the layers as lines in the part, and these lines / layers are weak points in the model. Think of them as pre-cracked areas, and if enough pressure is applied it will snap cleanly on those lines / layers. What is alarming about HellMounts is that they seem to print their mounts with the tape side down, which is the easiest way to print a GoPro mount, but it is the worst way because it means the thin plastic clip section shaped like an L that supports the weight of the camera can crack all the way across and break off very easily. I know this from my own experience, which is why I now print my prototypes with the bottom side down. However, with SLS printing used on the final product this is not an issue.

See this image below. On the left is a prototype mount printed on my personal FDM printer. You can see the lines / layers. The mount on the right is a final product printed on pro SLS printer. No lines / layers visible.

(sorry my account is new and I can't post working links / images yet)
disillusionedstudio(d0t)com/fdm_vs_sls.jpg

Also, HellMounts uses ABS plastic which is brittle, and not very flexible. My SLS printed mounts are printed with a nylon type of plastic which is very strong and slightly flexible which makes it more durable.

Anyways, I would love to just print my mounts from my 3D printer and sell them, because then I could sell them for $5. Which I did to all my riding buddies when I first started. However, they are ugly and their strength can't be trusted. Which is why I have them professionally printed now.

To each his own though.
Ride safe.

I'll give it a like, just because that essay took some dedication to write. really informative.

Raoul Duke

Wannabie Member
Jul 28, 2017
I ride a
FZ-09
Raoul Duke

Thanks for responding :)

What happened was: I ordered a mount, got a confirmation from Shapeways, then silence, then got my order. Was pretty sure I sent a message through shapeways, and then never got a response. idk if I slipped through the cracks or what
The mount was too tall for the chin area on my helmet, size Medium. It is now in a landfill here in Southern California (my building doesn't recycle, not my fault!)

I e-mailed the HellMounts dude to let him know about this thread and he said he was aware of it an wanted to come and chime in, but it seems like a small operation as does yours. I know you harp on and on about quality differences but the HellMount is nice and has held up fine to most of the summer of riding. I don't see it coming off the helmet let alone breaking any time soon. Also it was nice to have someone contact me through the whole ordering process and after my order to make sure I liked the mount okay. Their customer service is a selling point, let alone the price difference.

DStudio

Wannabie Member
Sep 30, 2017
I ride a
2015 YZF-R1
Funny, my mounts fit perfect on medium helmets.

Do you recall what Shapeways user name you used to buy the mount? I would like to confirm you actually bought one. Also when did you buy it?

I will admit, Shapeways has excellent customer service. However, they don't hold peoples hands through the whole ordering processes like many other million dollar companies don't. I also have a full time job for a large software company and don't really have the time to hold hands either (I don't even get access to the contact info of most sales).

I am just a guy that's been riding motocross and all types of bikes for 25 years (started at age 8), and needed a mount for my helmet - and so I made one. Then I got requests from my buddies they wanted one too, and their buddies wanted one, so I provided a way to get them one with the least amount of work possible on my side (I don't want to run my 3D printer 24 hours a day). So now the parts are hosted on Shapeways, and I don't have to deal with printing, shipping, or holding hands.

They also manage returns, because its a 100% money back guarantee.

I'm sorry you threw your money away for no reason.

Regards.

DStudio

Wannabie Member
Sep 30, 2017
I ride a
2015 YZF-R1
Raoul Duke, can you send me your order ID number please? I can probably still get your money back. In fact, I will personally send you your money back if this all checks out.

ST12

Wannabie Member
May 17, 2018
Marseille
I ride a
1200 Tenere
Hi,

Okay I dig out this post, but as it helped me to find a GoPro shin mount for my Shoei NXR, so I think posting here a feedback is a kind of civility ;)

So, I've juste received the one from Desillusioned/Shapeways, and I'd like 2 share first impressions be4 mounting :

- Order placed from France May 11th 2018 and received (well boxed) today via UPS, so about less than a week.

- This mount seems strong n reliable enough to support a Hero6 with Re-Fuel battery.

- The maintenaing rails are really tough, not tried to put the mount into mechanic's vice, but forcing with fingers let them appear robust enough not to crack and flexible enough not to wear because of vibrations.

- The surface condition of the inlet slide is rough and a certain strengh is needed to engage the GoPro mount to the lock. Maybe after several uses the sliding will be better, but for now the tightening has no clearance.

- The back surface is 3D print evidence (concentric bumpy lines), and needs IMO to be a lil sanded before applicating 3M adhesive.

- It perfectly suits the chin of my Shoei NXR, and doesn't interfere with the lower air vent in full opened position.

More feedback when really mounted n used in real conditions.

Have a nice day all :cool:

20180517_122247.jpg
20180517_122231.jpg
20180517_122127.jpg

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Am contemplating getting this helmet, supposedly very quiet. Just need to find out if it fits my head shape?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I thought they were the same helmet? Just different names in different countries?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R-Rated Camera Setups 18

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts