California Lanesplitting/Filtering

kuhlka

Wannabie Member
Jul 7, 2014
SoCal OC
youtube.com
I ride a
2011 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red, 2007 Ducati 1098
I got stuck in around 20-25 miles of stop and go traffic yesterday. Glad I had the camera on me. Did a long talk about how to do it safely and what the rules are in California. A guy on a Hayabusa died a week or so ago splitting at 80 when the rest of the traffic was doing 40. Thought I'd do my part to educate.

MonsieurMarty

Black belt of lane splitting
Jul 5, 2014
France
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Aprilia Shiver 750
Not legal where I live but... allowed.

The rule of thumb here is that you can lane split with a slighty faster speed than the traffic (like 20 km/h - 15mph).
The second rule and maybe the most important : Think that you are invisible and be aware because anything can happen!
Keep 2 fingers and the brake lever, use your rear brake to keep balance and be safe!

Oh, and don't be a dick ;)

Reactions: EDcase and RoninK6

BoJoMoJo600

Wannabie Member
Aug 24, 2014
I ride a
2009 Honda CBR600rr
I wish I could split. Illinois doesn't allow that lol.

PistnRods

Wannabie Member
Aug 22, 2014
Chicago
I ride a
SV650
In Chicago and no such luck here either. Really need it with the horrible traffic around here. It's safer than weaving in and out that I see others doing around here.

BoJoMoJo600 where abouts in IL are you from?

GixxersShadow

Asylum Ryders
Sep 12, 2014
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
I ride a
K5 GSX-R600
Splitting lanes here in California is always a gamble, it's a risk, most drivers are aware, and move over, tho some will block you or swerve towards you, defense 24/7 is key, but sometimes that's not always enough...

Dylan

Captain
Sep 13, 2014
Tucson, AZ
youtube.com
I ride a
Depends on the day!
I really wish Arizona would allow lane splitting... Well, filtering rather. I just wish motorcycles would be allowed to lane split when there is enough room AND it's stop-and-go traffic. I don't feel the need to lane split in moving traffic because bikes are nimble enough to merge around safely. I REALLY just hate sitting behind cars that aren't moving in the hot desert sun..

I had a good laugh at @MonsieurMarty saying "don't be a dick" because ever so often people get angry that you're going to pass them while they get stuck in cars AND some motorcyclists filter and lane split when it's unneeded.

MotoJedeye

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2014
California
I ride a
Cruiser: Victory Vegas 8-ball, Ducati Scrambler
The Diavel.. My favorite. Very possibly my next bike. Good video. When I was in California, the fastest I would lane split was at 25-30 mph, anything faster and I knew I was taking a higher risk.

Reactions: kuhlka

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
I'm glad filtering is allowed in the UK:
@2 minutes

@52 seconds

Unfortunately it's not allowed in Switzerland :(, but you pretty much never need it there :).

MonsieurMarty

Black belt of lane splitting
Jul 5, 2014
France
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Aprilia Shiver 750
My last video have an example of "extreme" lane splitting here in France.
I don't put the link of the video here because I don't know if it's allowed ;).

superaar99

Wannabie Member
Oct 7, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I ride a
BMW F800R
Illegal in Texas, they once tried to allow it but it got shot down. I once asked a motorcycle cop about it and he didn't even know if it was legal or not, he just said "I don't know what it is but I'll find something to write you up for".

Lukasbasic

Wannabie Member
Jan 5, 2015
I ride a
r6
I agree, you need to do this on socal highways but I keep it to the rule don't lanesplit over 30mph, and never go too fast, keeping it in low gear is a good idea as well

I got stuck in around 20-25 miles of stop and go traffic yesterday. Glad I had the camera on me. Did a long talk about how to do it safely and what the rules are in California. A guy on a Hayabusa died a week or so ago splitting at 80 when the rest of the traffic was doing 40. Thought I'd do my part to educate.

Cloud9Moto

Wannabie Member
Feb 28, 2015
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2008 Suzuki GS500F
Man, wish it was legal where I'm at as well, split a lane and you're instantly a criminal maniac.

TheMotoPub

Wannabie Member
Oct 28, 2014
I ride a
2004 Yamaha YZF600R
I only filter when I absolutely have to. I've gotten some aggressive responses while splitting. It will take a while for these folks to get used to it.

StreetSurv

Wannabie Member
Feb 14, 2015
I ride a
2014 Triumph Street Triple R
i split all day everyday anytime anywhere lol except when the gap is a wee bit too tight but even sometimes then too

i started riding in ca so all i know is lane splitting only when traffic is around 60mph and slower if traffics doing 60ish i can do 60ish unless i'm super weary of the car in front of me then i'm gonna split at any speed just to put some distance between us

monckee

Wannabie Member
Mar 18, 2015
San Diego, CA
I ride a
dl1000
i split all day everyday anytime anywhere lol except when the gap is a wee bit too tight but even sometimes then too

i started riding in ca so all i know is lane splitting only when traffic is around 60mph and slower if traffics doing 60ish i can do 60ish unless i'm super weary of the car in front of me then i'm gonna split at any speed just to put some distance between us
I'm the same way. Even if traffic is doing 60 I stay right on the line in case they emergency brake, I can go around.

MattFazakarley

Aprilia RS 125
Dec 8, 2012
Cheshire
I ride a
Aprilia RS 125
Im so glad its allowed here, Nothing worse than having to sit behind a car in the heat/rain/cold...

I agree though you have to stay safe and nothing over 25mph as thats not really traffic... thats just overtaking

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts