Brake Pads For Yamaha R1?

RiderInRed

The guy who rides in red
Jun 2, 2016
Armenia
www.vms-studio.com
I ride a
MV Agusta F3, Yamaha R1
Please? I need front brakes removed and will be servicing it myself. I don't have any knowledge with brake pad brands/models for motorcycles. Budget would be around 30-50 dollars.

Reactions: R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
just take a look on ebay if you want cheap. (Although the brakes on a bike capable of nearly 200mph should possibly not be something you go with a cheap option on). Best bet for recommendations would be sign up to an R1 owners page on facebook and ask what others use.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Please? I need front brakes removed and will be servicing it myself. I don't have any knowledge with brake pad brands/models for motorcycles. Budget would be around 30-50 dollars.

Brake work normally is not too complicated on a motorcycle. You will save money vs. going to the shop.

Perhaps Brembo has some for your bike? http://moto.brembo.com/en

That page should have a red dot with sliders. If you click on it, you should be able to put in what you are looking for. Then once you have the part number, the you can comparison shop for the best price.

Reactions: RiderInRed

RiderInRed

The guy who rides in red
Jun 2, 2016
Armenia
www.vms-studio.com
I ride a
MV Agusta F3, Yamaha R1
Brake work normally is not too complicated on a motorcycle. You will save money vs. going to the shop.

Perhaps Brembo has some for your bike? http://moto.brembo.com/en

That page should have a red dot with sliders. If you click on it, you should be able to put in what you are looking for. Then once you have the part number, the you can comparison shop for the best price.
Eh they seem to be a little on the expensive side. $50 per set per caliper. That'll be $150 for three calipers (two front one rear)

Thing is I doubt I'll be doing anywhere even near 80mph in my city/country. Speed cameras and cops and legal max is 100kmph (60mph) so yeah.

Just get something thats stinted and check the warm up time.

Thanks, for the response. I think you meant sintered?

Anyways to ask everyone, should I get sintered? Not ceramic or organic yeah?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Eh they seem to be a little on the expensive side. $50 per set per caliper. That'll be $150 for three calipers (two front one rear)

Thing is I doubt I'll be doing anywhere even near 80mph in my city/country. Speed cameras and cops and legal max is 100kmph (60mph) so yeah.

Thanks, for the response. I think you meant sintered?

Anyways to ask everyone, should I get sintered? Not ceramic or organic yeah?
Like I said before, you would be much better off asking on a Yamaha R1 facebook page or forum as they will have experience with your specific bike. What works well on one bike, may not be so great on another.
I think you have just found out the perils of superbike ownership.... everything is expensive, and there is more of it too. I really hope you love the R1, but from my shoes, I don't understand the choice of a superbike in a city or in an environment where you are not going to ride over 80mph, but each to their own :)

Reactions: R-Rated

RiderInRed

The guy who rides in red
Jun 2, 2016
Armenia
www.vms-studio.com
I ride a
MV Agusta F3, Yamaha R1
Like I said before, you would be much better off asking on a Yamaha R1 facebook page or forum as they will have experience with your specific bike. What works well on one bike, may not be so great on another.
I think you have just found out the perils of superbike ownership.... everything is expensive, and there is more of it too. I really hope you love the R1, but from my shoes, I don't understand the choice of a superbike in a city or in an environment where you are not going to ride over 80mph, but each to their own :)
Aye, no worries mate. I rode it only once cause the season just closed a few days before I bought it. So far I love everything about it! I don't mind paying the extra since it's a supersport but I might not need the brakes hat are designed for really fast stuff if I don't plan to go that fast anytime soon. I know I am a little unconventional but I always value personal style/mojo/spirit over comfort/practicality. I'm a professional musician and nothing about being a musician is comfortable or practical lol

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited

Like folks buying Corvettes here in the States or building out Harley V-twin engines to be more powerful when the BCM still limits their speed and the physics of mechanical engineering is pushed to near impractical levels...

08d9397ad5b5a447e390cb78c0777b69--harley-motorcycles-indian-motorcycles.jpg

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Aye, no worries mate. I rode it only once cause the season just closed a few days before I bought it. So far I love everything about it! I don't mind paying the extra since it's a supersport but I might not need the brakes hat are designed for really fast stuff if I don't plan to go that fast anytime soon. I know I am a little unconventional but I always value personal style/mojo/spirit over comfort/practicality. I'm a professional musician and nothing about being a musician is comfortable or practical lol

I think I have gotten old by accident lol..... I didn't mean to :D

Have a look at EBC sintered pads, or maybe even OEM pads from Yamaha (although they may be more expensive), you are right not to get the top spec Brembo pads, they iirc are purely for track use and will not get enough heat in them on the road.

RiderInRed

The guy who rides in red
Jun 2, 2016
Armenia
www.vms-studio.com
I ride a
MV Agusta F3, Yamaha R1
I think I have gotten old by accident lol..... I didn't mean to :D

Have a look at EBC sintered pads, or maybe even OEM pads from Yamaha (although they may be more expensive), you are right not to get the top spec Brembo pads, they iirc are purely for track use and will not get enough heat in them on the road.
I can't find a single link to OEM pads from Yamaha, which is weird! Could you by any chance help me?

I think for now I'm 90% sold on the EBC HH sintered pads. I also got a few suggestions of putting organic pads in the rear to smooth the rear brake out a little, which I think I might.

Have you posted a pic of your new bike yet @RiderInRed ?
Good call! I haven't had a chance to work on the stickers, etc. but I'll post a thread right now with what I got!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I don't know what bike year you have. Probs best contact a Yamaha dealership regarding the OEM pads for it.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
am glad you have had some decent advice and got a way ahead mate! :)

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts