Bluring your speedo in vids

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Nope, double whites are there for a reason, slow it down, wait for them to return to hazard lines or normal road markings then make progress.

Again yes we have all nipped on that part I agree on.

Depends on the sit, long straight empty road i also tend to say f* it xD
Corners, any type of other traffic or unclear vision, slow it down and wait.

Safety above all.

Reactions: LandyVlad and YBGuy

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
I've been a cop in the UK & am in the job here in South Australia, check out my videos, always at or more often than not 'slightly' above the speed limit, the difference being I'm making progress and using my speed/power to put myself in a safer position but not riding like I'm at the IOM. I'm unlikely to catch the attention of any patrols as there are often easier targets attracting attention. I am very aware though that every other car has a dashcam so I don't antagonise other road users who'll take great pleasure in dobbing people in. It's a long drawn out job using YT footage to do someone for speeding, as stated above time and dates are generally required. i did a Tenere test ride recently and cut a solid line at one point - debated editing it out but didn't in the end, safe manoeuvre and it added to my fun. Not all cops are Traffic Nazis either. Most can be negotiated with if you're mature enough and not disrespectful. Most are also too busy these days to be investigating YT clips.

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
I've been a cop in the UK & am in the job here in South Australia, check out my videos, always at or more often than not 'slightly' above the speed limit, the difference being I'm making progress and using my speed/power to put myself in a safer position but not riding like I'm at the IOM. I'm unlikely to catch the attention of any patrols as there are often easier targets attracting attention. I am very aware though that every other car has a dashcam so I don't antagonise other road users who'll take great pleasure in dobbing people in. It's a long drawn out job using YT footage to do someone for speeding, as stated above time and dates are generally required. i did a Tenere test ride recently and cut a solid line at one point - debated editing it out but didn't in the end, safe manoeuvre and it added to my fun. Not all cops are Traffic Nazis either. Most can be negotiated with if you're mature enough and not disrespectful. Most are also too busy these days to be investigating YT clips.
Well put Neil, your comment is right on point!

Reactions: Riderguide and HRMV

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Yip... The key take away from your message and hopefully mine is be sensible and respectful, don't ride like an idiot and you will likely have a safe but progressive biking journey.

Reactions: Riderguide

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
Time * distance is useless because the cops have no way of knowing what the recorded vs. playback frame rate is.

Reactions: HRMV

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Think if a police officer came to my house and said they had seen me speeding on YouTube, I'd thank them for watching and give the some stickers and any other merch I had floating around.

Then I'd ask them if they could really be bothered taking it to court?

Reactions: HRMV and Riderguide

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Time * distance is useless because the cops have no way of knowing what the recorded vs. playback frame rate is.

I had an almost crash that DanTheFiremen reviewed and allot of the comments on his video "calculated" i was going 100km/h, while the dash is visible showing 82-85km/h
So yeah, calculating is off quite easily xD

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Your right in as much as accurate calculations of speed could be off but this doesn't stop it being used to support a charge of Careless Driving. Not saying that all spirited rides are careless mind you.

Also ain't saying I'm a Saint that never nudges the needle but if folks are planning what would be classed as excessive and are so concerned by it that they are blurring speedos maybe don't record that camera angle that shows the speedo.

Reactions: YBGuy

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Your right in as much as accurate calculations of speed could be off but this doesn't stop it being used to support a charge of Careless Driving. Not saying that all spirited rides are careless mind you.

Also ain't saying I'm a Saint that never nudges the needle but if folks are planning what would be classed as excessive and are so concerned by it that they are blurring speedos maybe don't record that camera angle that shows the speedo.
True, another angle could just be tilting your camera on the helmet higher up so the Speedo is out of view.

Reactions: HRMV

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
True, another angle could just be tilting your camera on the helmet higher up so the Speedo is out of view.
Yip exactly. Less obvious than blurring anything.

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sport Glide
I just watched this video. Very interesting. So in that case, from a moto vlogging perspective, there isn't really any point in hiding your speedo, unless you are stupidly over the limit, correct?

I tend to see myself as more or less a calm rider, I don't ride very aggressive, but of course, now and again, I might be doing an 80mph on a 60 road, or a tiny bit more for a short period as you overtake. And the moment I pass that 10% rule, I feel like I need to hide the speedo.

However, based on what I'm seeing here, I shouldn't really worry about it too much?

Do you guys hide your speedo for going a little bit over the speed limit? Especially for those in the UK, as I know the laws might be a bit different in every country.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I find a strategically placed phone/phone mount a good plan, but I don't bother doing so. I don't tend to ride silly fast anyway.

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
I had an almost crash that DanTheFiremen reviewed

Link to DTF vid?

I've been a cop in the UK & am in the job here in South Australia
Not all cops are Traffic Nazis either. Most can be negotiated with if you're mature enough and not disrespectful.

I know its all the way up in Qld ,but have you heard of : Loud Pipes Wilkins" up here?
Even has a FB group 'dedicated' to him. Now there is an example of a police traffic Nazi!

• Haha
Reactions: Riderguide

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
Link to DTF vid?

I know its all the way up in Qld ,but have you heard of : Loud Pipes Wilkins" up here?
Even has a FB group 'dedicated' to him. Now there is an example of a police traffic Nazi!

That's hilarious ... no not heard of him, there are a few we call 'job pissed' ... he might be one of them LOL

Reactions: YBGuy and LandyVlad

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I blur my speedometer whenever my speed accidentally breaks the "10 over" point, just in case. Between the GoPro fisheye lens and alternate camera views, I don't worry much.

At this point, it only takes a little bit of time to do the blur, so I blur it out. If anyone's using Davinci Resolve and wants a tutorial on it, I did a blur & track video on my channel recently.

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts