360 Editing Tips and Workflow

lonerockz

Wannabie Member
Mar 23, 2023
California
I ride a
BMW R1250 GSA, Triumph Tiger Explorer, Yamaha Nmax 125
Folks, I'm brand new to this, but I've watched a ton of how-to's and been doing some experimentation and I'm wanting some feedback and tips on how you edit 360 footage.

I have both a GoPro Max and an Insta 360 X3. The Max is for on-bike footage and is mounted on my windscreen. The X3 is for off-bike footage when I'm sightseeing. (I thought I had lost my Max and so I bought a new X3, and a week later found the Max, so that's why both).

My understanding is that I have to recode both the Max and X3 footage into new formats. For the Max, I'm using "CineForm 5.6K Film Scan 1" With WorldLock turned off and Horizon Level on. The resulting new files are massive. For the X3 I'm using ProRes 422 with a resolution of 3840x1920. I have FlowState Stabilization and Direction Lock on, with Dynamic Stitching. The resulting files are also massive.

I'm using Davinci with the KartaVR plugin. For my Davinci workflow with the Max, I import the recoded files and first sync them with my Hero Helmet Cam footage. I'm not good at this and don't remember to use my horn or any audio queue. I usually look for some scenery that is in both shots and try to get it as close as possible. Once I have the two cameras in sync I delete the Max audio. I then copy the Max footage 3 times into new tracks. Using KartaVR I then reframe the 4 tracks of Max footage, one for a view of me, one forward, and then one that is a stretched view from the right and the last from the left. I label each track and then turn all five camera tracks into a multicam clip. Next, I create a new timeline add the multicam clip, and switch between the 5 different views as I see fit. The only audio is from my Hero and helmet mic.

I'm new so I can't post clips or I'd show some of this that way.

Anyway, I'm looking for feedback on how to do this better, or things I should change.

Thanks,

Steve

Reactions: Drakhen99

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I ditched my Max, hated editing it.
On my Insta360 footage, I use the Insta360 Studio to edit it, then just drop it into my video editor with the GoPro helmetcam footage. I don't do fancy 360 editing, not a fan of tiny planet or having it all spinning around etc... although I know others use that feature well, it just isn't for me or my vids.
Normally adds around 10-20min to my editing flow per 360 edit.
I always do a sych up, if you forget to clap or beep the horn, you can also use your helmet visor like @TeapotOne does in his videos. I also then only use the in helmet audio.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I edit my GoPro Max footage in Davinci Resolve as well, but I use the ReFrame360 plugin. I have videos on my workflow on my channel [link in bio, click on the Davinci Resolve Tutorials playlist to find them].

My workflow is similar, except I sync up all my cameras including the Max, then do a multicam, drag it into a new timeline, and go to town. I use adjustment clips to house my favorite angles of the Max, and when I'm done editing, I go back and reframe the Max clips alone. Easy peasy. Doesn't add much time to my editing at this point.

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
... I use the Insta360 Studio to edit it, ...Normally adds around 10-20min to my editing flow per 360 edit....
That seems quite fast. I must admit, it takes a bit more time for me. Plus then the exporting. I usually do that on a separate day, from rest of the editing. Not that I'm always done with editing in one evening :p

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
On my Insta360 footage, I use the Insta360 Studio to edit it, then just drop it into my video editor with the GoPro helmetcam footage. I don't do fancy 360 editing, not a fan of tiny planet or having it all spinning around etc... although I know others use that feature well, it just isn't for me or my vids.
I always do a sych up, if you forget to clap or beep the horn, you can also use your helmet visor like @TeapotOne does in his videos. I also then only use the in helmet audio.
I edit my 360 One X2 footage exactly like Hippo does here. Takes me a bit less than half an hour too just like him.

I love the Insta360 software, it's so dang easy and powerful to use. If Insta360 made a cam with a much higher resolution I'd seriously get rid of all my GoPros and just use Insta360 cams instead.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
That seems quite fast. I must admit, it takes a bit more time for me. Plus then the exporting. I usually do that on a separate day, from rest of the editing. Not that I'm always done with editing in one evening :p
I generally set the start point just before my audio synch and lock direction, then keyframe to the view I want, and keyframe to the same viewpoint at the end of the clip and then click render. In some more recent videos I have added more keyframes as I have moved the selfie-stick in and out and stood up/sat down on the bike, so had to adjust for that, but still didn't add mega time, other than having to watch through the full video footage.
My render settings are 2720 x 1530 and I up the bitrate to 100,000 I also record at 4k 50 so the frame rate matches my GoPro footage. I've not noticed a huge drop in quality from the 5.7k 30 and I prefer the smoother 50fps to the 30

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I see. I watch through the footage and pick spots to export, and keyframe pans and such in quite a bit.
I also use tracking here and there, which takes time.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I have the (obsolete, but amazing) Rylo 360 camera, along with a cheap Insta360 (first model) and the 360Max. I've been using the Max in 180 mode as my dash cam because the quality is amazing, and my Rylo as my main 360 cam.

Setting up a synch slate is really important, but if you forget, it's possible to find a key moment that can be synched with your other camera. It's doesn't have to be perfect, and if the difference between your cameras is under 1 second it should be fine.

I tend to log may footage that has my voice narration and when doing so I note important moments I talk about or for what's visually happening. Once I have this info I edit my 360 footage in its own proprietary software to correspond with what I logged. With luck the footage pairs well with the other camera shots. I'm not sure if its the camera or the software I'm using but I've never had to stitch footage together, but then again I've never uploaded any raw/native 360° footage before.

- Wolf

Reactions: HippoDrone

lonerockz

Wannabie Member
Mar 23, 2023
California
I ride a
I edit my GoPro Max footage in Davinci Resolve as well, but I use the ReFrame360 plugin. I have videos on my workflow on my channel [link in bio, click on the Davinci Resolve Tutorials playlist to find them].
John, thanks for this! I had seen a few other videos using the ReFrame360 plugin and stopped looking at it because the developer has abandoned the project. KartaVR has no concept of camera views and so I was applying the plugin before creating a multicam clip and setting up multiple cameras in the multicam. This is nowhere near as efficient as your method! I'll also take a closer look at not using Cineform as my export from GoPro and Insta360. Having to leave a TB of free space all the time is making me pull my hair out.

-Steve

lonerockz

Wannabie Member
Mar 23, 2023
California
I ride a

I edit my 360 One X2 footage exactly like Hippo does here. Takes me a bit less than half an hour too just like him.

I love the Insta360 software, it's so dang easy and powerful to use. If Insta360 made a cam with a much higher resolution I'd seriously get rid of all my GoPros and just use Insta360 cams instead.
Thanks for the info folks! I've ruled out using the software that comes with the camera for editing because it ties me to that camera, and requires me to have 2 editing workflows. I can understand the ease of doing it this way though, just not for me.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
John, thanks for this! I had seen a few other videos using the ReFrame360 plugin and stopped looking at it because the developer has abandoned the project. KartaVR has no concept of camera views and so I was applying the plugin before creating a multicam clip and setting up multiple cameras in the multicam. This is nowhere near as efficient as your method! I'll also take a closer look at not using Cineform as my export from GoPro and Insta360. Having to leave a TB of free space all the time is making me pull my hair out.

-Steve
You're welcome! FWIW, GoPro recently updated the Player app [recent being the last 6 months or so], to where you can export HEVC at 5.6k, which preserves some of the image quality for use in another editing package, without requiring a ton of storage space.

You hit the nail on the head with why I don't use KartaVR - and AFAIK, they used the Reframe360 source code and brought it into Reactor... but lost my favorite functionality at the same time! I love having the camera angles.

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts