2nd Camera?

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sport Glide
It's not bad once you get used to it.

I am up to 3 cameras, and one is a GoPro Max - which can be a headache sometimes.

-John

I gave up on the 360 as you probably already know from my other posts. On the bright side, that saves me learning and hassling around with the insta360 studio and editing the 360 footage and bringing that into my davinci workflow.

This way, much easier, two normal cameras, videos from both can be edited directly in davinci..

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I gave up on the 360 as you probably already know from my other posts. On the bright side, that saves me learning and hassling around with the insta360 studio and editing the 360 footage and bringing that into my davinci workflow.

This way, much easier, two normal cameras, videos from both can be edited directly in davinci..

I do all my editing in Davinci ;) I dislike strongly [hate is too strong of a word] the GoPro Player App. It's not fully-fleshed out, tested, or stable. Minor gripe: I doubt the "Hardware Acceleration" feature on the GPPA is actually coded, since it never uses my GPU to do exports.

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

I'm curious @Alex2wheel , what did you hate about the Insta360 Studio?

I'm thinking about buying an Insta360 One X2 and from all of my research the software looks fairly easy to use, better than the GoPro Max software at least.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR

I'm thinking about buying an Insta360 One X2 and from all of my research the software looks fairly easy to use, better than the GoPro Max software at least.

Take my word for it: If you have a 360 camera, get the lens protectors for it!!! Maybe buy 2 packages of them. You'll thank me later.

-John

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sport Glide

it wasn't the insta360 studio that I hated, but the camera itself. Well its not so much about hating it, but I missunderstood the specs, and I was disappointed.

It is advertised as a 5k camera, which I thought that's the quality of video it will produce, like a gopro, so I decided I'll get that instead of getting 2nd gopro. However, I've learned that 5k it's all around for the whole 360, which means, when you look at one specific angle, the resolution is a lot smaller, maybe around 1080p. + it was creating some weird artifacts because of the whole fisheye lens, which made it look like the quality its even smaller than 1080p.

I wasn't very happy with the quality, so I've returned it.

I guess it depends what you are looking for. I initially just wanted a 2nd angle, showing myself, the rider in my motovlogs. And then I thought, maybe I should go for the insta 360 as that will give me more angles.. considering it's the same as the GoPro, 5K, right? But as I explained above, that wasn't the case.

So for me the quality was more important. But if you're buying specifically because of the 360, then yes, it's a cool camera to have.

Last edited:

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
So for me the quality was more important. But if you're buying specifically because of the 360, then yes, it's a cool camera to have.

Ah the quality is important to me too. I have no interest in the "small world" stuff, I just want a normal field of view at angles I can pick on demand. Sounds like I'll get low res footage like that?

I wonder if the GoPro Max gets better resolutions? I need to do more research.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
If you export from GoPro's app, it's pretty good, but you might still want to use Davinci Resolve's Super Scale and other scaling features.

I find that the footage is OK, but definitely has non-clear portions, depending on the FOV and distance to subject. Lots of examples of tiny planet [which you don't want] and regular angles in my more recent videos that I used it in.

The GoPro Max has a 5.6k resolution, whereas the Insta360 cameras are 5.7k.

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
If you export from GoPro's app, it's pretty good, but you might still want to use Davinci Resolve's Super Scale and other scaling features.

Superscale is only in the paid version though, I use the free Davinci Resolve. :(

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Superscale is only in the paid version though, I use the free Davinci Resolve. :(

Oh yeah... then you can edit in 4k, the 360 video looks a little sharper in that resolution. Or at least, you can set your timeline to 4k when you do your render, and edit in 1080.

I did some testing and I didn't find an appreciable difference in image quality from 1080 to 4k for my 360 footage, so I just edit and render in 1080. Yeah, it's a tad blurry, but it doesn't seem to be hurting AVD or anything.

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
From tomorrow until the 11th, Insta360 are having another "sale" where I think there is now going to be a discount on the One X2 as well as the One R. There is another thread about it, I'll update that one tomorrow, and I'll also have a promo code to get some free goodies with it too.

Reactions: MachKneel

MachKneel

Insta : @flex_and_freedom
Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Harley Davidson Softail 2021, Yamaha R6 2005
From tomorrow until the 11th, Insta360 are having another "sale" where I think there is now going to be a discount on the One X2 as well as the One R. There is another thread about it, I'll update that one tomorrow, and I'll also have a promo code to get some free goodies with it too.

FOLLOWING! :)

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
This is the thread I will be updating:

I am not fully sure on what the discount will be yet, but with the free bundle using my promo code, it makes the purchase a little less hard on the wallet! :)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
This is the thread I will be updating:

I am not fully sure on what the discount will be yet, but with the free bundle using my promo code, it makes the purchase a little less hard on the wallet! :)
See the other thread for update on the new deal

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I wish all these new cameras supported more direct mic inputs like the GoPro Hero4.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the Media Mod that GoPro sells for the Hero 8 and 9... I mean, they're another $80 or whatever, but the interface is nice, and on the 9 you get an audio meter on-screen, which is nice. I use it to make sure the mic is plugged in right and picking up sound. The mics are better than in-camera too, IMO, for off-bike recording, and the 9's MM has a foam wind blocker that came with it. The external USB-C port is cool too.

-John

Reactions: YBGuy

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Overall, I'm quite happy with the Media Mod that GoPro sells for the Hero 8 and 9... I mean, they're another $80 or whatever, but the interface is nice, and on the 9 you get an audio meter on-screen, which is nice. I use it to make sure the mic is plugged in right and picking up sound. The mics are better than in-camera too, IMO, for off-bike recording, and the 9's MM has a foam wind blocker that came with it. The external USB-C port is cool too.

-John
Oh does the GoPro 9 come native with the external USB-C now? Can you plug a mic directly into that? Also how much does the media mod weigh? I just feel kind of bummed because its another thing I have to stick on the side of the helmet. Thanks again for the info John!

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Oh does the GoPro 9 come native with the external USB-C now? Can you plug a mic directly into that? Also how much does the media mod weigh? I just feel kind of bummed because its another thing I have to stick on the side of the helmet. Thanks again for the info John!

Yeah man, no worries! The MM is pretty light ... I mean, I don't really feel it. It adds size though, so you gotta be careful there. Mostly for width, in my case, since I'm mounting it on the side of my half helmet.

The camera itself has USB-C, like the 8, built-in behind the battery door, but you remove that to install the Media Mod, and the MM has the USB-C port on it [and on the 9's MM, it's got a rubber flap to seal it up when not in use]. Same thing with the external mic port. I think the 3rd port is a micro USB, but I'm not sure - I've never opened that flap.

-John

Reactions: YBGuy

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Yeah man, no worries! The MM is pretty light ... I mean, I don't really feel it. It adds size though, so you gotta be careful there. Mostly for width, in my case, since I'm mounting it on the side of my half helmet.

The camera itself has USB-C, like the 8, built-in behind the battery door, but you remove that to install the Media Mod, and the MM has the USB-C port on it [and on the 9's MM, it's got a rubber flap to seal it up when not in use]. Same thing with the external mic port. I think the 3rd port is a micro USB, but I'm not sure - I've never opened that flap.

-John
Interesting, so the USB-C is used to connect to the media mod, then from the media mod, it's the same deal where you get a couple different media ports like the microphone port available for input?

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts