1st time Motovlogging

bogskiee

Wannabie Member
Feb 12, 2020
I ride a
Yamaha Aerox 155
Hi guys, just want to have some tips in motovlogging, it is my first time to make a motovlog. Can someone give me an advice or any tips? Thank you.!

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Short intro if you have one.
Do a practise vlog, just to get a feel off talking out loud. Use that practise vlog to recognize your stoppingwords (uhm, ok, yes) and when you do the real vlog try to pause after a stoppingword so if possible you can cut them out of the real vlog.
Don't do too many cuts, every couple of seconds is annoying, sometimes it is better to leave a stopword or a fault in.
When possible, switch to a secondary view (something i do not enough of either xD).
When talking about a big subject do some research and some rehearsals so you know upfront what to mention. Some use a cheating paper ;)
Or just wing it and talk about what feels at that moment.

Don't make it to long, although Youtube's algorithm nowadays prefers 10+ min of footage, try to keep it closer to 10 min then 20 min. People will skip very long video's, especially if they aren't familiar with a vlogger yet.

Don't be afraid to redo a sentence or 2 when needed. Sometimes gibberish can be fun, and sometimes it is good to redo a section ;)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Aye, keep the video below 10min and work on your in helmet audio, it is better to have great audio then 4k footage, so get your in helmet mic placement sorted to reduce wind noise and not muffle your voice too much. Avoid long straight roads if you can, try and do your talking on a nice twisty bit of road or one with great views and then edit out all the more boring roads.
A vlog is basically a story, even if not in the conventional sense, so give it a start, a middle, and an end. Introduce it, even if it is just to say hi and welcome. Talk about whatever you want to talk about, and then end it with a goodbye and a thank you for watching.
Learning to talk to yourself in helmet is something some find harder to do, so practice it before making the first video for your channel! :)

bogskiee

Wannabie Member
Feb 12, 2020
I ride a
Yamaha Aerox 155
Thank you for the replies. Can you give me some tip what are the best contents to do or to make? going to mountain? going to an event? going somewhere?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
That will all depend on your audience. Bike reviews are generally good for gaining views. Events are tough as they tend to be a niche of a niche and are also hard to vlog. I'd suggest just ride an interesting route mainly if it is a motovlog.

Reactions: bogskiee

bogskiee

Wannabie Member
Feb 12, 2020
I ride a
Yamaha Aerox 155
That will all depend on your audience. Bike reviews are generally good for gaining views. Events are tough as they tend to be a niche of a niche and are also hard to vlog. I'd suggest just ride an interesting route mainly if it is a motovlog.
Thank you.

Reactions: HRMV and HippoDrone

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Before you start.. Sort out your video and audio, PoV position, audio clarity, etc. Once you are happy with how everything is setup and the footage is good, then begin your motovlog journey. Probably start with simple/small topic, or you can practice by describing your surrounding, where you are heading to, etc. to get yourself accustomed with talking and riding.

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
All above info is great stuff mate and I ain't going to repeat any of it but would add do what you enjoy and don't force content or try to be someone your not.

End of the day your not making a living from it so in the early days its got to be something you want to do, in terms of the planning, recording and the subsequent editing.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
All above info is great stuff mate and I ain't going to repeat any of it but would add do what you enjoy and don't force content or try to be someone your not.

End of the day your not making a living from it so in the early days its got to be something you want to do, in terms of the planning, recording and the subsequent editing.

Amen to this :)

WildOn2s

WildOn2s Vlog
Feb 18, 2020
San Antonio,Tx
I ride a
Indian Chief dark horse
Short intro if you have one.
Do a practise vlog, just to get a feel off talking out loud. Use that practise vlog to recognize your stoppingwords (uhm, ok, yes) and when you do the real vlog try to pause after a stoppingword so if possible you can cut them out of the real vlog.
Don't do too many cuts, every couple of seconds is annoying, sometimes it is better to leave a stopword or a fault in.
When possible, switch to a secondary view (something i do not enough of either xD).
When talking about a big subject do some research and some rehearsals so you know upfront what to mention. Some use a cheating paper ;)
Or just wing it and talk about what feels at that moment.

Don't make it to long, although Youtube's algorithm nowadays prefers 10+ min of footage, try to keep it closer to 10 min then 20 min. People will skip very long video's, especially if they aren't familiar with a vlogger yet.

Don't be afraid to redo a sentence or 2 when needed. Sometimes gibberish can be fun, and sometimes it is good to redo a section ;)
I agree on the practice I used my first week recordings as practice. It made a huge difference. I started talking more naturally. It was harder than expected. Then I learned to pause after a screw up so editing will be easier lol

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
That editing pause is sooo important. I often kick myself for correcting myself too quickly and can't cut the error out

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Yeah, the editioral pauze is important.
Just remember from which point you can edit it, so not to miss part of a sentence xD

Reactions: WildOn2s

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
My only tip is to make them. you'll figure out what you like or don't like...

I mean personally I prefer short videos, max 5 minutes in length, but that's just me. If I try and do 10 minutes I just end up having 5 minutes of babble. I know the algorithm prefers 10 minute videos, but personally, making videos I want to make is more important to me - If I try and make things I don't want to make, I burn out and don't have the drive to make any videos. I figure a 5 minute video that 50 people watch is better than a 10 minute video that 100 people would have watched but was never made because I didn't have the desire to make it.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
People's attention span prefers shorter vids too. Mine are usually around 10-15min and like you, I make the videos I want to make, if YouTube or others don't like them I'll find out soon enough.

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
People's attention span prefers shorter vids too. Mine are usually around 10-15min and like you, I make the videos I want to make, if YouTube or others don't like them I'll find out soon enough.

Todays vid was tops by the way, nothing wrong with a longer video that captures the attention span of course!

• Love

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I just started my channel too, and here at the beginning my intention is to just have fun with it while I'm learning how to get better at it. Experience is the best teacher.

My advice would be to make videos you want to, not videos you feel you have to. Enjoy yourself while you are practicing video editing and filming and talking and so forth, once you get experience with it all THEN look to do targeted topics and such.

I'm treating my channel like a fun hobby for now, with the intention of growing it slowly and getting much better at it along the way.

WildOn2s

WildOn2s Vlog
Feb 18, 2020
San Antonio,Tx
I ride a
Indian Chief dark horse
I just started my channel too, and here at the beginning my intention is to just have fun with it while I'm learning how to get better at it. Experience is the best teacher.

My advice would be to make videos you want to, not videos you feel you have to. Enjoy yourself while you are practicing video editing and filming and talking and so forth, once you get experience with it all THEN look to do targeted topics and such.

I'm treating my channel like a fun hobby for now, with the intention of growing it slowly and getting much better at it along the way.
Agreed and helping each other out is key.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts