1st time Motovlogging

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Agreed and helping each other out is key.
Yep. I'm now realizing there is a fairly large motovlogging community out there, something I've been mostly oblivious too until recently. I've watched motovlogs for a long time, I just never thought much about the community aspect of it all.

Staring my own channel has been a positive experience so far simply from the viewpoint of becoming a part of that community.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
The community is the thing folk must embrace as it is a fantastic way to get a foothold as you can all help each other out with dual-vlogs, rideouts and just plain old shoutouts! :)

Reactions: WildOn2s

Drakhen99

L Plate Member
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I know this is an older thread, but I've learned A LOT in the last few months while starting my channel, vlogging, doing review videos, playing around in the editor (Davinci Resolve 16 and now 17), and getting better at talking while riding.

1. Edit backwards to forwards. Usually your last take is your best (usually, but NOT always, as I've found out!) but using the aforementioned "editing pause" is key in this, and you can tell yourself before or after the pause "hey the last take was rubbish, dump it!" and you'll hear this while editing and know which take(s) to cut - I'm still working on remembering to do this while recording.

2. Practice makes perfect. Workflow efficiencies, recording efficiencies, speaking naturally and less "wooden" on camera, all comes with practice. I'm still horrible at it, but I'm also still trying. You'll find what works for you.

3. Good is good enough. At some point you gotta just stop and not make more edits and just post the dang video. It'll be what it is, and it'll get the views it gets. You can't fret over the tiniest imperfection. The artist alone can see these, most people won't. If you're a small channel, the odds are that nobody will ever notice a tiny imperfection or missed overlay or whatever.

4. Take breaks. Don't get burned-out by spending 40+ hours a week editing when it's supposed to be a fun hobby. I am 100% guilty of this, but on the weekends I'm either riding & recording or hanging out with my family. Evenings during the week, after everyone goes to bed, THAT'S when I get my editing done. It sort of limits me, otherwise I'd spend 50+ hours a week editing footage during riding season, and that's bound to lead to burn out. I'm in the middle of a 4-day blackout on editing. Watching TV/YouTube, hanging with the fam, spending time on motovlog.com is about all I'm doing over this Christmas weekend.

-John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A General Discussion 6