Wannabie Member
Feb 19, 2021
Vietnam
I ride a
CB650R
Hi,
I just got my Zoom H1n with this setup:
+ Put in a backpack (pic below)
+ Wrapped in 2 layer of towel: 1 big one filling the backpack (stop things moving around) and 1 to wrap the h1n
+ I tried both mic facing up and down
+ Input gain 4-5 (i got clipping at 6)
+ low pass off, limiter off, auto gain off
+ 24 bit 48khz

My problems:
+ I still have low frequency wind noise (which is very easy to remove in post, low pass ~200khz) -> so not a problem
+ high frequency wind noise, like the one where you are trying to blow directly into the mic, only happened at thigh speed -> I have 0 idea how to remove even with parametric EQ, and it's too tedious to go in and auto heal each second of the footage.
+ My audio result have very high dynamic range (which can be solve by compressing), but is there any other way to get optimum "gain" level with the h1n?

My questions:
+ What cause the "mid to high" frequency wind noise? As I put my recorder INSIDE towel, in a backpack? And how do I solve it?
+ Any tips for better setup?

1616122092990.png

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Have you tried a different backpack? If you are getting wind noise on your back it is probably bag induced, are you not able to hide the recorder under the pillion seat?

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I use Resolve for my editing, and it's got a built-in Noise Reduction effect for audio that may work on your footage, but Hippo is probably right.

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sport Glide
Hi,
I just got my Zoom H1n with this setup:
+ Put in a backpack (pic below)
+ Wrapped in 2 layer of towel: 1 big one filling the backpack (stop things moving around) and 1 to wrap the h1n
+ I tried both mic facing up and down
+ Input gain 4-5 (i got clipping at 6)
+ low pass off, limiter off, auto gain off
+ 24 bit 48khz

My problems:
+ I still have low frequency wind noise (which is very easy to remove in post, low pass ~200khz) -> so not a problem
+ high frequency wind noise, like the one where you are trying to blow directly into the mic, only happened at thigh speed -> I have 0 idea how to remove even with parametric EQ, and it's too tedious to go in and auto heal each second of the footage.
+ My audio result have very high dynamic range (which can be solve by compressing), but is there any other way to get optimum "gain" level with the h1n?

My questions:
+ What cause the "mid to high" frequency wind noise? As I put my recorder INSIDE towel, in a backpack? And how do I solve it?
+ Any tips for better setup?

View attachment 5620

have you found a solution to this? I'm also having a similar issue.

Zoom H1n + deadcat, inside a backpack - sound is a tiny bit muffled, but more bassy which I like.. however, after a certain speed, I'm getting some sort of wind buffeting noises.

I've also tried putting the zoom h1n + deadcat under the seat - Funny enough, I don't get any wind buffeting noises there, the sound is less muffled, however, because is in such an open environment, it picks up all sort of mechanical noises from the bike, changing gears, and stuff like that.. plus a very annoying high pitched sound most likely from the exhaust.

I'm still yet to find a good solution. It seems that even the mighty Schaaf is struggling with this. If you watch this for example, plenty of wind noise there, especially around 2:01:

Last edited:

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S
I'm looking for a bum bag (fanny pack) that is the perfect size for the zoom and am planning on using it for recording sound on track days. Before I used to stick it in the side pocket of my rucksack and had the gain at level 25 with a big dead cat on it. Audio is the bane of my life

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I'm looking for a bum bag (fanny pack) that is the perfect size for the zoom and am planning on using it for recording sound on track days. Before I used to stick it in the side pocket of my rucksack and had the gain at level 25 with a big dead cat on it. Audio is the bane of my life

Amen to that!

-John

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
I just bought the kriega pocket bag and it fits the zoom h1n recorder perfectly.

My last video is recorded using this setup. I seem to get less buffeting wind noise compared to when I was using my backpack.

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S
Are you using an external mic with the Zoom? Surely connecting an external mic, disable the mics on the body of the recorder? I hope so because I bought the same Zoom....

Cant answer for him, but yes if you plug in a mic into the zoom it disables the built in mics.

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Are you using an external mic with the Zoom? Surely connecting an external mic, disable the mics on the body of the recorder? I hope so because I bought the same Zoom....
why would I be using an external mic? The zoom itself already has a mic, so I don't need one. At least not for recording the sound of the bike.

If I am to record some moto vlogs, where I need to talk, then yes, I either plug the external mic into the GoPro or the zoom h1n.

Reactions: LandyVlad

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S
Re: audio being the bane of my existence...

For the past month I've been using an iPhone headset microphone to great results...just a heads up. Might do a video on this tomorrow...

Motogato

Wannabie Member
Jan 21, 2022
I ride a
CBR600RR 07
Hey Loki2W,
Hope all is good your way!

I have the zoomh1n and had similar problems. As Hippodrone said, It most likely is the back pack. The wind is hitting the backpack, creating noise and the zoom is picking it up.

I switched to a fanny pack. I started putting it on my right side, but I still had a lot of wind, I ride with it behind my back now and I get relatively little wind noise. I actually have to add it back in by mixing it with the gopros mic, it's a bit too windless.

But as you have said it does pick up frequencies in the low and high just by natural means of movement and wind. You have to do post production on the microphones. You have to go in to the EQ and lower the low frequencies and the high frequencies. I will include a picture of what mine looks like. Its basically a bell curve.
Mics are just tools, they pick everything up, you have to go in later and tell it what you want and don't. It's the same for any professional productions, music or video. Don't feel bad because you have to edit the audio, in the professional world everyone does.

As for the dynamic range, there are a few ways to fix that. The first is as you said compression. The other is to use the limiter on the zoom. Just set it to whatever you want your quietest sound to be however loud. The mic wont let it clip if you have the limiter. The problem is that the dynamic range of motorcycles is too great. You'll either have to set your loudest noise to an acceptable range but lose out on the quieter noises, or you set the quieter noises at the expense of really loud. It would be perfect if we could adjust the volume input on the fly, but because it's in a backpack, we don't have that luxury. The limiter on the zoom basically acts like a compressor and keeps all of the sounds below 0db. It sacrifices dynamic range, but it prevents clipping. The idle on my bike in my videos is almost just as loud as my bikes screams. But they don't clip. On a motorcycle it's going to be challenging getting best of both worlds.

zoom eq.png

Hope that helps,
Cheers and safe riding!

Apr 6, 2018
Gain, low pass, limiter, bits, khz, frequency, parametric eq, dynamic range, MORE GAIN?!

I felt like a mental midget among giants, and then I saw a channel with over 100,000 subscribers that just records motorcycle rides and doesn't even say anything.

I need to have a seat. Hippo I think I need some water, I don't feel so good, please send help lol

TwistyM

Wannabie Member
Dec 15, 2021
I ride a
Z1000sx, Transalp700 and anything you give me the keys to!
Took me a while to find the sweet spot and settings on my two bikes. Got there venetually... don't give up keep playing.
I also speak the plcement/mounting location and settings into the mic first so when I get that sweet recording I know exactly how to reproduce it!

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
Well, what you really need is the louder exhaust ;) and don't try to stick h1 into your bum, even in the bag :D

But jokes aside - at higher speeds it's almost impossible to remove the wind noise and to do that you would need to ask a proper film crew, not a bunch of crazy youtubers ;) Dead cat is the key but also is the location of the mic. Might even be that h1 with a proper deadcat laying on the seat would have less noise that one in the backpack. And the loud exhaust helps a lot...

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO