Yamaha no longer allowing recording during demo rides

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
So a couple of small motovloggers went to demo some Yamahas in Cherokee North Carolina today and found out recording is no longer allowed. Sure enough it seems Yamaha has throttled it

SmartSelect_20180907-112850_Chrome.jpg

I understand it is their equipment so their rules but really to forbid it seems a bit much.

A suggestion to anyone finding yourself censored like this would be to take some detailed video before the ride and then interview riders when they are done to get their impressions.

What a pity...

PS. I just checked and a demo ride in Georgia does not have the restriction so ???

Reactions: LoneWolfer

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
When I test rode the Royal Enfield Himalayan the dealer wouldn't let me record. But at all the Harley and Indian demos I've gone to they have been super cool with it. So I think it is just up to the place holding the demo or test ride. Its lame but I understand they don't want anyone who might be new to riding thinking they are the next big youtube star getting distracted and crashing the bike or someone seeing a camera and showing off for it.

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Its lame but I understand they don't want anyone who might be new to riding thinking they are the next big youtube star getting distracted and crashing the bike or someone seeing a camera and showing off for it.

But we are so sexy riding their bikes!

Seriously, I sort of get it but we also know some folks get squirrely even without cameras, just add motorcycles and machismo.

A counterpoint would be to have the camera folks sign an agreement they will share the unedited footage in the event of a mishap for preserving evidence. Then regardless of what happens, it is CYA for all involved except the squirrelly rider that messed up.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I imagine it is partly because a dude with a camera and mic in their helmet, is not always going to be a professional motorcycle journalist, which means they can say negative things about the bike that possibly don't exist, or are at least inaccurate and could be seen as negative to the brand. I think it is pretty foolish and shortsighted of the manufacturers to do this, but they may well have been burned in the past. Manufacturers are now approaching select motovloggers and loaning them bikes in the UK to review and keep for a week or two. This may mean that they have to be careful what they say in them so possibly a biased opinion, but that is no different to the actual bike press who review bikes better when they have huge advertising contracts with them.
I am not a fan of these demo rides where you go out in a group and play follow my leader at a sedate pace, you need to be able to go thrash them around your favorite roads to know if they are something you'd want to part cash with, and you can't do that on these demo days.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
@HippoDrone all valid points. Timing is perfect because I just finished watching two reviewers from a professional motorcycle.com website just give the most cringeworthy drivel review of the K1600 Grand America and Goldwing.

It is not the first time I have seen "professionals" behave like squids taking risks with bigger production budgets and leaving little to no value to the viewer. Basically 27 minutes just for them to say they don't know which bike was better. Hmmm, they would not want to upset the ad revenue?

Regardless of if the reviewer is pro or small creator, the end result is still just a person's opinion.

So I see an opportunity for us to turn it into a positive. We can still ride and form our opinion but now instead of wadding through our own ahs and ums, we ask the rider on the street their impression. Sure getting well informed participants on camera may be an issue but if we pull it off we tipped the scale back in our direction.

Plus, gives us a chance to hand out spammy things to folks and maybe pick up a few subs?

Reactions: HippoDrone

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
If I was on a test ride I'd sure as hell want my camera on. Not for the possible review/first impressions but just in case someone was to cause me to come off I would want to say it was them and not me. But again their bikes their rules. Some sort of compromise where the dealer looks at the footage before you go or you format the card before you leave.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Increased phone usage during demo ride equals no camera policy? Why not just say no phone policy, as in they hold onto your phone while you go on the test ride and return it after that?

If you wanted to thrash something do you really need to be using it to thrash it? For example if you hate the new Honda scooter you don't need to ride one to say all the bad stuff about it whether it is true or not. And if you are just talking thrash for the sake of thrashing the bike, there will be viewers that will call you out for it, no everyone will accept what you say about the bike right? I don't think worrying about if you talk thrash about their bike while test riding it.

But on the other hand as cameras become more accessible and more people start slapping on cameras on the helmets I can see how it can become a case of busy recording rather than really trying out the bike (not about you wanting to buy the bike, since it's expected that not everyone that test a bike will even buy it without cameras involved).

I guess the choice ultimately is in the dealer hands if they want to allow it or not.. Which if I were to attend such a event and told I cannot test it, I would of course follow the rules, but I will damn sure to record my opinion about that restriction they have made and that will be a included in my clip after the test.. They will get served either way.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
So are you not allowed to also take a picture of the bike you are about to demo with your phone? Because if there's no picture on the 'gram it didn't happen!

And if they mean that people are trying to use their phones while on the demo ride, how about you just pull those idiots off the ride and report them to the police. Maybe, just maybe, holding the offenders accountable rather than everyone these demo ride would be smoother and more fun.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
So are you not allowed to also take a picture of the bike you are about to demo with your phone? Because if there's no picture on the 'gram it didn't happen!

I am seeing an opportunity for police and courtroom sketch artists to get into motovlogging!

Seriously, so far pretty much all great points so far.

Which Bike

We Need Vloggers!
Aug 24, 2018
Surrey, UK
WhichBike.com
I ride a
All of them!
As you may or may not know, I have ridden a truck load of motorcycles from a truck load of different dealers. I have only come across a 'No Vlogger' policy a couple of times.

I always ask Why Not?

The answer is two-fold.
Firstly, they have a preconception that a person who is videoing the ride is doing so to ride the bike in a manner that is bad for the bike, such as utter thrashings, showing off, such as wheelies and general illegal activity. Unfortunately, the vlogging community has got this bad rep.
Secondly, yes, the chances of the vlogger buying the bike are VERY slim when compared to a 'normal' punter. They therefore lose mileage and demo times which is inarguably impacting their business as some dealers have issues with model availability.

These same dealers and manufacturers KNOW how good the publicity is from YouTube videos, they are not stupid but the above two factors are buggering it up.

I think the best policy is to be honest from the start. You soon know who is and who is not open to it.
If you cannot do this, or are getting no demo rides, then simply wear, and later take off, your camera and mount out of sight, perhaps around the corner.

One important thing - the way this going - ALWAYS check the small print when you sign the liability form that you are still covered if you are using recording equipment on the ride. That should be your biggest concern of all.

Last of all, if you demo a bike, mostly it is polite to shout out the dealer thanking them for their service, commending them on their customer interaction and perhaps include a website to the dealership. Just polite.

Reactions: SighBored

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
So far here they are still fine with it.
We shall see how it develops.

It would be their loss if vloggers aren't allowed to record reviews.
That means everyone is talking about all the other brands and not theirs.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
They should know that any publicity is good for them, regardless if it's someone (not a "paid" journalist) talking negative about the bike or otherwise. Some people appreciate a decent opinion from a regular biker, and sure the vlogger guy is most likely not buying the bike, but what that person shares, maybe it will get interest of others that will in turn get that bike, how can that possibly be bad for them, I don't know.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts