Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
So my channel (just when I really want it to have a boost in views) is in a slump. It has happened each year so far, almost to the same level... Mostly my fault as I go to one video a week compared to 2 in the summer... I was really hoping to hit 500,000 views by my channiversary at Christmas, but I think that is now out of reach sadly. I'll be damned close, but no cigar! :D
Do you all have a similar slump, and those of you in the southern hemisphere see a drop seasonally too (not necessarily in your current season)?
It makes me wonder what the viewers do this time of year as they ride less, so surely should have more time to watch videos... in my head, views should increase, not decrease! :D
I am considering a change in tactics for 2020, and maybe recording just as much in the summer months, but only posting once a week, and then in winter actually posting 2 videos a week by using the extra summer footage. It does get difficult at times to keep a consistent timeline though, as often videos refer to things that were current at the time it was recorded, but are long since announced on the channel.
Do any of you have thoughts on this, what do you do to maintain a consistent amount of views? :)

Last edited:

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I wouldn't be too disheartened by not reaching the elusive 500k, you already have a successful channel you deserve to be proud of no matter how many views! :)

Personally I just do them for fun and don't really have any experiences to be able to debate this, but I think your 1 video per week idea is good!

Although I agree with the timeline issues as I too refer to current events when recording myself, maybe like observation-esk content which doesn't necessarily relate to a specific time frame and can be posted year round? Or track day content perhaps..

• Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Aye. I had intended on recording 3 videos a week over last summer and saving the most generic one for winter, but that was too ambitious for me and I was only just able to keep up with 2 a week.

Reactions: Pooley

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I think the algorithms of mystery and magic frown upon a channel that does not post at least 2x per week. I recall watching something along those line from YouTube as part of their creator videos.

From my experience, views and subs do not match up so even if one is high then the other may go the other direction.

Perhaps you could do some bike review videos and record those in the summer then release them in the winter? That is an idea I have toyed with but I manage to keep a two video per week schedule year round.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Perhaps you could do some bike review videos and record those in the summer then release them in the winter? That is an idea I have toyed with but I manage to keep a two video per week schedule year round.
I'm not very good at reviews... as folk will see tomorrow when my next vid goes live..... and apparently I am also not very good at editing, anyone watching, please put the volume down by around 50% before hitting play! #damnit
I would also assume that people watch more motorcycle type videos when they cant ride.
Aye me too, but apparently not #lifeisbackwards :D

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
My channel is literally tanking.... the views are dropping so fast. I am wondering if the 2 videos a week thing is an actual thing. If I can work out a way to do 2 a week I will... but don't want to just post crap.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
My channel is literally tanking.... the views are dropping so fast. I am wondering if the 2 videos a week thing is an actual thing. If I can work out a way to do 2 a week I will... but don't want to just post crap.

You may have to redefine "cr@p"... #motopumping challenge is still out there :D there are some others. Heck I even have a half video that I was working with someone on that I may end up using at some point. Hint, it involves boats.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Agree with not just posting crap, but you may need to adjust your videos to get 2 videos out a week?
Personally my channel is too small to notice a difference, but it really sucks dude

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
If Youtube isn't your main source of income don't stress about views, like I've said before I'm no where near as experienced but I think if it got to the point where it felt more like a job than a bit of fun I would question what's the point.

I think you have built a bit of a cult following Hippo and no matter what happens a lot of us are here for the long run with your channel, even if the views dont necessarily reflect that :)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Thanks chaps... I definitely don't find it a chore making the videos, but seem to have so much less time in winter to actually get out and ride... don't help that it is raining non-stop haha :D
I think my active subs watch a lot of my stuff, but am guessing I have not put out as much content that people search for so not getting the new traffic so much! :)

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Always have a down moment during the winter period.
Even if you upload the same amount of content, it always seems to go a bit slower.

My guess is that either fewer people are watching because they can't ride themselves.
Or because other vloggers are making less video's, so it is a smaller chance that someone sees your content in the recommended list.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Always have a down moment during the winter period.
Even if you upload the same amount of content, it always seems to go a bit slower.

My guess is that either fewer people are watching because they can't ride themselves.
Or because other vloggers are making less video's, so it is a smaller chance that someone sees your content in the recommended list.
Agree almost 100%
What I don't get is folk avoiding when their is great content to watch

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Agree almost 100%
What I don't get is folk avoiding when their is great content to watch

i do have to skip certain channels because otherwise, my need to ride gets to high, and then it is really frustrating when it is raining outside, freezing and dark.

So i watch them on sunny days or good weather periods xD

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I guess I am a freak... I am able to watch more this time of year as it is cold and dark so I stay in more, so can watch more! :D

MotoGinji

Wannabie Member
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Special Edition
So my channel (just when I really want it to have a boost in views) is in a slump. It has happened each year so far, almost to the same level... Mostly my fault as I go to one video a week compared to 2 in the summer... I was really hoping to hit 500,000 views by my channiversary at Christmas, but I think that is now out of reach sadly. I'll be damned close, but no cigar! :D
Do you all have a similar slump, and those of you in the southern hemisphere see a drop seasonally too (not necessarily in your current season)?
It makes me wonder what the viewers do this time of year as they ride less, so surely should have more time to watch videos... in my head, views should increase, not decrease! :D
I am considering a change in tactics for 2020, and maybe recording just as much in the summer months, but only posting once a week, and then in winter actually posting 2 videos a week by using the extra summer footage. It does get difficult at times to keep a consistent timeline though, as often videos refer to things that were current at the time it was recorded, but are long since announced on the channel.
Do any of you have thoughts on this, what do you do to maintain a consistent amount of views? :)

Not only do I get less views all of a sudden christmas is here. I found out that Youtube doesn't refresh my view coubter correctly.
On my page the Zh2 video said 81 views for the longest time. But in youtube studios inside that video it 349 views.

Now I wonder if youtube fucks up with showing my videos to my subscribers.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts