Wife approved a 2nd bike! Chase my unicorn or get a brand new one?

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
So, here's my situation. My wife knows I can never have just one. We had 13 total when I got off a few years ago. The FJ got me back in, and I adore it! It's sticking around.

When I went shopping, I was looking for another 6th gen VFR. I've owned a ton of the VFR's, including several 6th gens. Easily one of my favorite bikes ever. But they are a serious unicorn, especially if you're looking for certain ones. An Asphalt black 04, or the Anniversary 07.

I've found a couple in red fairly local, but 1 is questionable and the other is WAY overpriced at a dealer.

She also knows I've got my eyes on a new ADV bike, or the new Hayabusa. Fwiw, the Hayabusa is another I've had several of, and another of my favorites for sport touring.

If I get the VFR, it's a cash buy. The FJ is almost paid off, and will be before Christmas. If I get the VFR first, I can get the new new bike when the FJ is paid for. Or, I can take part of the VFR money and pay off the FJ now, and get one of the new ones.

Honestly, the VFR is a love purchase. I'll likely hardly ride it, except when I want to really crank on twisties or hear that engine. But I WILL be getting another. Do I risk missing the one I want and lock in an end of the year deal on a Hayabusa or Pan America?

Ugh, why did she have to say yes!!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
No point asking others, it is you that will be riding them, and your priorities that need addressing... we will all look at the dilemma from our own perspective.... Mine being why get a bike you'll hardly ever use, to me it makes more sense to get a bike you will ride as often as possible. Sure get the VFR later, but why grab it now, especially when both options for it are not the exact deal or bike you are after... wait for the right one, but in the mean time, grab the Busa or whatever ADV bike it is that tickles you.

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
No point asking others, it is you that will be riding them, and your priorities that need addressing... we will all look at the dilemma from our own perspective.... Mine being why get a bike you'll hardly ever use, to me it makes more sense to get a bike you will ride as often as possible. Sure get the VFR later, but why grab it now, especially when both options for it are not the exact deal or bike you are after... wait for the right one, but in the mean time, grab the Busa or whatever ADV bike it is that tickles you.
Well, after much deliberation I took the Busa off the table. It's too much like my current Tracer in the way I'll ride it, and the ADV bike gives me something different. The VFR is fairly cheap, and after looking at the budget and where I spend play money, I can do the ADV bike and still have the cash for the VFR. I'm not crazy about 100% financing on a bike, but the payment is less than I expected so I can double it up easily.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Awesome stuff, congrats to double new bike day when it happens!

Reactions: nophix

thelensman

Vlogger in spirit
Oct 3, 2021
www.thelensmanin.me
I ride a
Royal Enfield Himalayan
Hmmm there's always a new bike in the horizon as well as a new trending classic bike.

You can enjoy them one at a time so the excitement and anticipation goes on for longer. My two cents.

Reactions: nophix

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
So a bit more updates here. I think I'm settled on the Pan America. But, due to some circumstances changing, we're also looking at purchasing a new house. So I probably won't pull the trigger until Spring. There is a huge lead time on them now anyhow, and we're coming up to winter storage here in Wisconsin, so no reason to rush. The house thing may or may not push off the VFR, we'll see.

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Well, as luck would have it, we were out yesterday getting new scoot boots put on the FJ. While over there, we went down the street from the Yamaha dealer to the BMW/RE/Ducati/Indian dealer so my wife could shop for her new ride. Side note, she's not getting the Enfield after all. She fell in love with a BMW 310R.

They took a Pan Am special in trade on a new Indian a couple days ago. Not the color I want, it's the orange/white. BUT, they ALSO have the new GS, so I got to ride them back to back. Wasn't planning on doing any demo rides myself, so I didn't bring the cam with. I had my gear in case I needed to test ride a used bike for Tif to verify mechanicals. I thought for SURE I would flip back to the BMW, and I didn't. If the PanAm didn't exist, I would be all over the GS, and probably would have bought the triple black GSA on the spot yesterday.

So, I'll be talking to a couple local HD dealers to see who can get me the best deal. Also need to decide on color. I really dig the Deadwood Green. My wife thinks I should get black. Hmmm..... What to do.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts