General Why you should NOT buy a Harley Davidson!

scottrod

Wannabie Member
May 15, 2018
I ride a
Harley Davidson V Rod

This is my first time posting a vlog on his site!

I havent had my channel up and running long. Had audio issues at first too so probably around 2 months. I Have a bunch of videos up now and love doing them!

Thanks for the opportunity! Enjoy :D

@thescottrod :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dandoolittle

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Can you cite the source of the info regarding 50% of all motorcycles on the road currently are Harley Davidsons?

That would be an interesting stat if true. The only way I can think of getting that data would be to look at active registrations.

While digging to see if that stat is listed somewhere on the web, I did find this about the motorcycle market in the US from a few years ago...

I was surprised by some of the article's stats.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/03/05/7-motorcycle-statistics-thatll-floor-you.aspx

scottrod

Wannabie Member
May 15, 2018
I ride a
Harley Davidson V Rod
Hey guys,

I got that data from another video from SRK cycles whos info is usually spot on.

I did a quick google before hand and seen the percentages so thought it true.

Upon reading today it was relating to market stats on "big cc bikes" and as R Rated stated new registrations.

Ill go back and amend the info in a future video :)

Reactions: R-Rated

scottrod

Wannabie Member
May 15, 2018
I ride a
Harley Davidson V Rod
Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Interesting video indeed. You have a great bike in the V-Rod but ...

The V-Rod was TOO good for the brand. Too smooth, too powerful, etc. Why do I say "too" because the Evos, TC, and likely even the M8 are limited in the dynamics of engineering. Stroked motors are not friendly with high RPMs. That is why the V-Rod is too powerful.

The V-Rod purrs. I love the sound. The German engineering was near perfect but that smooth purr made some old grey beards turn up their noses and make comments like it sounded like a CB750.

So the older riders never really got to appreciate the V-Rod fully. Then the company seems to cater to the older riders and so we see the V-Rod fade away. No final year special edition, no fanfare, nothing.

The "same as everyone else" point is a bit odd indeed. Here in the states if a person rides a Sportster or Street, they are often ribbed by the bigger bike riders. So, apparently there is a H-D pecking order.

Now, you wondered why so many other types of bikes, like sportbikes. Well, if it is like here with the economy, it is economics. Not many young folks can afford the big Harley bikes. Dollar for dollar, a metric is much more power and reliability right out of the box. It is a shame though.

If only the iconic motorcycle brand of America would only think of the children...

Reactions: MurrayMoto

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Hey guys,

I got that data from another video from SRK cycles whos info is usually spot on.

I did a quick google before hand and seen the percentages so thought it true.

Upon reading today it was relating to market stats on "big cc bikes" and as R Rated stated new registrations.

Ill go back and amend the info in a future video :)

Awesome! I would love to get my hands on actual registration data and compare to sales. I suspect the two are somewhat exclusive data sets.

For example, if I buy something and it lasts and lasts then I really have no motivation to replace it. Therefore, the maker does not sell me as many as they would if they make something that lasts just long enough that I believe I got my monies worth and then buy another.

Reminds me of a GM for a H-D dealership in the area. He kept pestering me to trade my '14 Limited in on a new one. He would say how it was easier to resell a dresser with under 70k miles. Finally one day I asked him if at 75k miles would my bike turn into a pumpkin?

So far it has not done that. :p

Back to registration vs. sales. I venture to say if we can find a bike that has equally high sales AND registrations of older ones still on the road then we might find the elusive perfect motorcycle that I am always on the hunt for.

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
Statistics are made to lie, always be critical.

You should really fix that dead left channel though, render the video i mono or something. That should do the trick.

scottrod

Wannabie Member
May 15, 2018
I ride a
Harley Davidson V Rod
Statistics are made to lie, always be critical.

You should really fix that dead left channel though, render the video i mono or something. That should do the trick.

Done, its sorted in my newest vlogs mate.

Made a thread about it on here and someone pointed me in the right direction and its fixed!

Aftermarket mic adapter messing with my stereo mic grr!

scottrod

Wannabie Member
May 15, 2018
I ride a
Harley Davidson V Rod
Interesting video indeed. You have a great bike in the V-Rod but ...

The V-Rod was TOO good for the brand. Too smooth, too powerful, etc. Why do I say "too" because the Evos, TC, and likely even the M8 are limited in the dynamics of engineering. Stroked motors are not friendly with high RPMs. That is why the V-Rod is too powerful.

The V-Rod purrs. I love the sound. The German engineering was near perfect but that smooth purr made some old grey beards turn up their noses and make comments like it sounded like a CB750.

So the older riders never really got to appreciate the V-Rod fully. Then the company seems to cater to the older riders and so we see the V-Rod fade away. No final year special edition, no fanfare, nothing.

The "same as everyone else" point is a bit odd indeed. Here in the states if a person rides a Sportster or Street, they are often ribbed by the bigger bike riders. So, apparently there is a H-D pecking order.

Now, you wondered why so many other types of bikes, like sportbikes. Well, if it is like here with the economy, it is economics. Not many young folks can afford the big Harley bikes. Dollar for dollar, a metric is much more power and reliability right out of the box. It is a shame though.

If only the iconic motorcycle brand of America would only think of the children...

Agree about the V Rod.. however I believe that is exactly what Harley needs! Imagine that motor in a dyna or sportster?!

HD want to appeal to the younger rider? Thats there opportunity.

As for sports bikes I think the culture in my area has something to do with it too.

Dont get me wrong people have Harleys however 90% of the people I know ride Jap sports maybe more!

I love HD! Always have. I have best of both worlds IMO power, looks and reliability :D

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
It looks like Honda are the market leaders selling over 15,000,000 motorbikes annually. Harley Davidson sold just shy of 150,000 motorbikes in 2017 worldwide, so not even 1% of total motorbikes sold worldwide last year.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Agree about the V Rod.. however I believe that is exactly what Harley needs! Imagine that motor in a dyna or sportster?!

HD want to appeal to the younger rider? Thats there opportunity.

As for sports bikes I think the culture in my area has something to do with it too.

Dont get me wrong people have Harleys however 90% of the people I know ride Jap sports maybe more!

I love HD! Always have. I have best of both worlds IMO power, looks and reliability :D

I am envious of the V-Rod. Reminds me of myself 20 years ago, good looking AND powerful. :cool: Now I have to alternate days on which one.

That power plant could be used in sportbikes like Buell did with the Sportster powertrain.

Plus there were touring kits developed aftermarket for those of us that have to get groceries and do long distance rides on the bikes.

RoadRod-250x250.jpg

I WOULD SOOOO ROCK THIS!

Reactions: scottrod

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
It looks like Honda are the market leaders selling over 15,000,000 motorbikes annually. Harley Davidson sold just shy of 150,000 motorbikes in 2017 worldwide, so not even 1% of total motorbikes sold worldwide last year.

And we know why
wu5nu0owjhtxmumkqjv9.jpg

scottrod

Wannabie Member
May 15, 2018
I ride a
Harley Davidson V Rod
I am envious of the V-Rod. Reminds me of myself 20 years ago, good looking AND powerful. :cool: Now I have to alternate days on which one.

That power plant could be used in sportbikes like Buell did with the Sportster powertrain.

Plus there were touring kits developed aftermarket for those of us that have to get groceries and do long distance rides on the bikes.

RoadRod-250x250.jpg

I WOULD SOOOO ROCK THIS!

Hahaha! Damn right!

Absolutely! They pulled it from a sportbike to begin with the VR1000 so no reason why not!

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Can you cite the source of the info regarding 50% of all motorcycles on the road currently are Harley Davidsons?

I think he miss quoted the stat.

I think it’s 50% of Harley Davidsons are on the road. The other 50% are broken down, leaking oil or just garage queens. Lol

I would have thought it would vary on the county you live in. I couldn’t see Harley’s being popular in Asian countries.

Over here they are the highest seller of road bikes but fall to 5th in overall sales.

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
Disclaimer

I hadn't watched this until now.

Basically, some funny guy has managed to get his Harley working for 12 minutes, for a change so he's really excited about riding it.

He's also stating that Harley is a household brand so you should buy one. I would agree but so is Dyson so its a hard choice between owning a brand that actually has power or one that makes funny sounds when it wants to work ;)

scottrod

Wannabie Member
May 15, 2018
I ride a
Harley Davidson V Rod
Disclaimer

I hadn't watched this until now.

Basically, some funny guy has managed to get his Harley working for 12 minutes, for a change so he's really excited about riding it.

He's also stating that Harley is a household brand so you should buy one. I would agree but so is Dyson so its a hard choice between owning a brand that actually has power or one that makes funny sounds when it wants to work ;)

Hahahaha! Oi! Take that back! Shes been running for 15!! :'(

Reactions: dandoolittle

Mr. G

Essential G
Nov 19, 2017
I ride a
V-Star 1300
That's
A u.s.a. stat. Outside of u.s.a. it would not even be 5.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts