Why is it becoming so hard to build a channel?

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
I don't think many do, but plenty upload lazy edits that are basically raw

Monkey butt has challenged me to that "10 minutes speaking no cuts" challenge, argh. Hypocritical of me or what

Reactions: City Bob

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
That is different, as you are not allowed to be silent for longer than 20 seconds or somit? :) and they are an intentional vlog still. I did the challenge last year, is quite hard.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Or you can go the other route, which is the hype/trend/viral/danger one, so crazy/silly/dangerous/annoying things to get people's attention.. I don't recommend it but the fact is that is what some people do and they have "great success", I say it with the "" because I don't see it as a success but yes they are getting the traffic/views/popular/etc.

Reactions: Papa Jefe

Ragamuffin

Wannabie Member
Mar 3, 2020
Rome, Italy
I ride a
MT-07 Yamaha
TheMagpie kind of nailed it. I work in Customer Experience and Marketing and can't stress the importance of:

1. Quality & Relevence of your content
2. Engagment with audience
3. Basic SEO & Marketing Tactics - Use of keywords, backlinks, tags etc

As with everything though, Youtube can become saturated with content just like a marketplace can be flooded with similar products. You need to try and differentiate yourself. Why would they watch you over someone else and who is your audience? Are you going to be the Youtube squid, a reviewer, Senior Safety (DanDanTheFireman, love his videos) or those who just flaps their lips about anything and everything, more like a Video Diary on a motorcycle.

Use some keyword research tools to try and see what people are searching about motorcycles and try to plan content based around that. Don't just copy others with "5 things I hate about my *Insert bike*" and open an online sticker store...well you can, but you're likely to get more results if you build on that content so it's more detailed or think of unique content.

You may not think of it in the same way. but you need to treat the channel like a business if you your plan is to gain followers, likes, engagements and eventually start earning a bit of side income from your hobby.

I actually found I have a Youtube Channel I forgot about from a few years back with two videos, 380 subs and 200,000 views. Couldn't believe it. I think that was because the videos were good, useful and at the time, it was unique content!

I'm wondering how I can use that channel as the starting point for my Mvlogging...

Desmo

Desmodromico
Dec 29, 2019
Belgium
www.youtube.com
I ride a
MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800 & Ducati 999
I'm really getting tired of al these click-bait CRASHES, ROAD RAGE, FUNNIES videos.
They are so cheap and regurgitate the same videos over and over. But the main public seems to eat these videos like candy.
These kinds of videos could help to boost the view count etc. and build the channel but at what cost? Pulp content?
Try to 'fix' your channel afterwards to bring the content you want to bring. Could be tempting but it could be a big curse too.

What are your opinions?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I'm really getting tired of al these click-bait CRASHES, ROAD RAGE, FUNNIES videos.
They are so cheap and regurgitate the same videos over and over. But the main public seems to eat these videos like candy.
These kinds of videos could help to boost the view count etc. and build the channel but at what cost? Pulp content?
Try to 'fix' your channel afterwards to bring the content you want to bring. Could be tempting but it could be a big curse too.

What are your opinions?
If your audience wants a certain type of vid and you provide another, they will stop watching your vids.

Reactions: Pooley

Skant153

Wannabie Member
Feb 22, 2020
Rochester, NY
www.sandycreekmanor.com
I ride a
97 CBR 900RR
98 VFR800
98 Valkyrie
07 VT1100
People want to watch a crash, or the cops pull someone over, or someone running from the cops. We take pleasure in the misfortune of others. It's disappointing but undeniable.
I haven't started a vlog yet but my first videos will be the cross country trip. Each day will be an episode of the journey. I'm hoping to do about 15-20 minutes of footage per day. If people like it, great. If not, well it's free to post so big deal.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R

What are your opinions?

Allot of these channels are eastern, and it is an easy, low-work but high-reward strategy.
Just use other peoples content and earn money.
Most of those don't have a love for riding bikes, they just have an understanding of the market.
Often multiple channels, easy but non-meaning names, and across the board subjects.

Ask permission and create compilations, maybe miss out on some of the bigger stuff when people say no.
Or just download content from smaller channels and reupload with your logo, higher risk, but less work.

P.Outback

Wannabie Member
Jun 19, 2019
I ride a
Suzuki V-Strom 650
It requires persistence, practice, luck and I think the ability to not take yourself too seriously. I'm just about to hit 1000 Subs. It's taken me over two years. In that time, I've gotten better, gotten lucky, taken the piss out of myself on camera more times than I can count and above all, kept at it.

That is all you can do really.

Also, try and get at least one video out per week and engage with the community as much as possible.

Above all, make the videos you want to make. Making videos because you think they'll be popular is great for numbers but it'll take from your enjoyment of it all. And that'sthe most important part of all this- enjoying it.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
This thread has some good information in it, I'm glad I read it.

Reactions: HippoDrone

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
Does anyone just watch raw video though? Seems laborious. Might as well just jump on your own bike for the same experience but in real terms
I sometimes enjoy a full ride especially when its no talking and scenic. I also like the ones where they race in the twisties and the exhaust is like music to my ears. It's like an ASMR video for me haha..

Reactions: Meifesto

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
I'm watching raw videos (only with captions) usually to find some interesting places to ride. But only when I can't find anything else ;)

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
Whilst I agree with the thread title, my advice would be to try and not fixate on channel growth too much, and try to have fun making videos. An audience will be earned over time :)

sfbayrider

Wannabie Member
Aug 20, 2020
I ride a
2017 Yamaha FZ-10
2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
So true..need to go back to having fun which I was until these crazy fires started up again...

I made my vid of a scenic sunrise ride in the Santa Cruz mountains JUST in time. like literally 2 days before it all caught fire..

maybe I'll do a "what it looks like now" vid when fires go away..

Reactions: YBGuy

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts