Whats the camera you recommend for motovlogging?

MachKneel

Insta : @flex_and_freedom
Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Harley Davidson Softail 2021, Yamaha R6 2005
I watched one review of the One R S, I think it was by MotoFeelz, the audio still stinks.
Funny I just watched this today, and I also watched a good comparison video by Chaos Causes. Think I will hold off another while yet for a 360 camera. Just can't justify it currently.

Apr 6, 2018
Both those channels are simultaneously among my favorites and drive me nuts.
Their presentations are fantastic, but fairly often the steak is all gristle and no meat.

But a podcast made a good point (paraphrasing):
"You're going to struggle if you make a youtube channel for the Spocks of the world, the people on the pursuit of knowledge and learning, because they aren't a lot of them. The reality is most people aren't Mr. Spock, they're Homer Simpson. That's why the channels made for Homer Simpsons tend to grow."

I'm not suggesting either of those two are dumb, they're obviously smarter than I am since they're doing a lot better than I am, so maybe by comparison, I'm the Homer... but... I watch their stuff and visually it's beautiful, but more often than not I wish their content itself was richer and more filling.

Wow that was really off-topic mini-rant, sorry gents...

MachKneel

Insta : @flex_and_freedom
Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Harley Davidson Softail 2021, Yamaha R6 2005
Both those channels are simultaneously among my favorites and drive me nuts.
Their presentations are fantastic, but fairly often the steak is all gristle and no meat.

But a podcast made a good point (paraphrasing):
"You're going to struggle if you make a youtube channel for the Spocks of the world, the people on the pursuit of knowledge and learning, because they aren't a lot of them. The reality is most people aren't Mr. Spock, they're Homer Simpson. That's why the channels made for Homer Simpsons tend to grow."

I'm not suggesting either of those two are dumb, they're obviously smarter than I am since they're doing a lot better than I am, so maybe by comparison, I'm the Homer... but... I watch their stuff and visually it's beautiful, but more often than not I wish their content itself was richer and more filling.

Wow that was really off-topic mini-rant, sorry gents...
CC scripts and does voice overs for every video, which cleans his content up, he recently done an uncut version in one take, mega difference, as expected.

Reactions: Drakhen99

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Tried to find the photo he shared, but it might have been a instagram story, so lost...
Looks nice, really curious about its quality and performance.
Looks like it's officially announced. https://us.driftinnovation.com/products/ghost-xl-pro

Looks like they got rid of the dumb micro USB to mic adapter thing in favor of a direct 3.5mm, but they also lost the swappable battery in favor of more water resistance. Hopefully they sorted the issues with firmware and the remote. If so, I'm all in! I much prefer my Drift for it's form factor and flexibility, and even with the wonky firmware it's been more stable than my Hero 9.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Looks like it's officially announced. https://us.driftinnovation.com/products/ghost-xl-pro

Looks like they got rid of the dumb micro USB to mic adapter thing in favor of a direct 3.5mm, but they also lost the swappable battery in favor of more water resistance. Hopefully they sorted the issues with firmware and the remote. If so, I'm all in! I much prefer my Drift for it's form factor and flexibility, and even with the wonky firmware it's been more stable than my Hero 9.

Yupe.
Waiting for the first test to come out.
Unclear if recording and charging at the same time is possible, but the battery should last 4h, so might not be needed.

I do like the "no helmet visible" angle from my GoPro more now, but you can play with that as well.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I have one on order, should arrive in a couple of days

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Got mine yesterday too.... I like the form factor.
So far I've learned that I suck at lining up cameras when sticking on the mounts to the helmet and also that L3 mic sensitivity is way too high, next test will be at L2 mic sensitivity, and I have repositioned the mount so it hopefully points closer to where I am looking! :D

Last edited:

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Had a further play just now after watching Craig's video where he said it can do stabilisation at 2.7k 30fps, couldn't replicate it, but did get it to hold the stabilisation settings at 2.7k 50fps and 2.7k 25fps. Have sent Craig a tweet asking if I am doing it wrong. How are you getting on with the settings on yours @L. Bilious ?

L. Bilious

Huge member
Aug 2, 2019
North Cheshire/South Manchester
I ride a
CBR1100, GSXR750, XR250
Had a further play just now after watching Craig's video where he said it can do stabilisation at 2.7k 30fps, couldn't replicate it, but did get it to hold the stabilisation settings at 2.7k 50fps and 2.7k 25fps. Have sent Craig a tweet asking if I am doing it wrong. How are you getting on with the settings on yours @L. Bilious ?
Errrrrrr............

I've flicked through the settings. That's about it.:D
Not run any test footage at all yet.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
For anyone that is interested, I have posted my review of the Drift Ghost XL Pro here:

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
On top of everything else you said I'm just testing dji action 2 - and it's really good camera with some pros and cons. Cons being overheating in 4k60 + and all the stabilization and defishing the lens turned on. But on a bike in Britain it's not a problem :D
It can work with cheap mic adapters so, I'm just going to test it all soon. There are some other big cons for certain but I still need to get use to it's workflow.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I look forward to your review of it mate! :)

bernhtp

Wannabie Member
May 22, 2018
I ride a
2020 BMW S 1000 RR (K67) M Sport
On top of everything else you said I'm just testing dji action 2 - and it's really good camera with some pros and cons. Cons being overheating in 4k60 + and all the stabilization and defishing the lens turned on. But on a bike in Britain it's not a problem :D
It can work with cheap mic adapters so, I'm just going to test it all soon. There are some other big cons for certain but I still need to get use to it's workflow.
Please give samples of in-helmet audio through its audio input. Also, munt stability and battery life with the Power module.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts