Whats the camera you recommend for motovlogging?

dboi796

Wannabie Member
Mar 12, 2022
I ride a
ducati monster and gsxr 1000
what is the best camera to use on motovlogs?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
When starting out, the one you have!
After that it all depends on budget... but the GoPro Hero 10 is the latest greatest, and is a mark above the others on video quality, it just depends on if you can stomach the price with the microphone adaptor / Media mod, and if you like the form factor.
You have an Insta360 One X2 already from what I have seen on your channel, what do you feel that is lacking? :)

GIZZ

Wannabie Member
Jul 25, 2017
Canada eh!
I ride a
K5 gsxr 1000
I never gave up on the DJI Osmo Action and the failure of it only having a single audio input. I use a Sena 50R for the mic, it's all hardwired to record everything I hear through Sena "sidetone". The 2 things that made it possible is me getting it into sidetone when I'm solo by pairing to my spare sena in my pocket, the other key is using an attenuator before the cam. I can plug this setup into any cam with a 3.5mm input, I just like the smallish size of the DJI.

If I had to buy a different cam I'd get a Hero 10 and deal with the bulk of it.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Moose M

Wannabie Member
Nov 10, 2021
I ride a
Royal Enfield Himalayan
While I’m still new to this motovlog lark, I can’t really think of anything bad to say about the DJI Osmo Action. From the price to it‘s performance it competes well with GoPro…

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I would go with a used camera for beginners. Something a generation or two old so the outlay of capital is not that great. Plus some of us publishing 4k content are really shooting in 2.7k or even 1080. So having the latest edition camera is not really an issue to begin with.

Then if the new motovlogger decides to keep with it, upgrade later.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I see used gopro's on facebook market place ranging from 50 to 150 bucks depending on the model year. Older gopros still have a lot to offer as 1080p is still the standard with how Youtube compresses files. Gopros that need the Gopro dongle to use a mic are a bit of an extra investment of 50 bucks but worth it as I can use a flexible mic that costs about 8 bucks on amazon.

If you're lucky, you can find a gopro that comes with the dongle from someone who tried vlogging and lost interest and they are just trying to clean out a drawer quickly and cheaply.

I started with a Polaroid Cube and recorded my audio into an iphone with an app and it work well but I wanted to do more and use less gadgets so a gopro with the dongle and a felixible mic make for a clean setup that I can clamp onto the helmet and take off quickly when I just want to ride.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I'd say Hero 8. Great battery life, decent performance/image quality, and you can pick one up new or used for relatively cheap.

If you've got a few extra bucks, skip the 9 and get a 10 - I've found it to be more reliable and higher quality, but the battery life isn't as good unless you spring for the new Enduro batteries.

-John

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
GoPro seems to be the norm. I'm a sucker for form factor, so my main cam is still a Drift Ghost X. It's served me well, but i've heard the 4K has issues, and nobody really knows what is going on with Drift as a company right now.

Reactions: Drakhen99

MachKneel

Insta : @flex_and_freedom
Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Harley Davidson Softail 2021, Yamaha R6 2005
Myself and Aaron (who run our channel) use a GoPro Hero 7 Black each for Helmet cams and we recently got a used/second hand Go Pro Hero 4 for reallllly cheap which we might use for secondary angles (bar facing rider, rear bike mounted etc)

Reactions: Drakhen99

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
GoPro seems to be the norm. I'm a sucker for form factor, so my main cam is still a Drift Ghost X. It's served me well, but i've heard the 4K has issues, and nobody really knows what is going on with Drift as a company right now.
There is a new camera coming out.
Some people already received a demo-model presale.
So curious to see if they made any positive changes.

bernhtp

Wannabie Member
May 22, 2018
I ride a
2020 BMW S 1000 RR (K67) M Sport
I'm interested in the new Insta360 One RS. Besides the flexibility of both standard and 360 capability along with its improved video performance, I am especially intrigued by the improved audio quality per several reviews.

It has an optional small and inexpensive 3.5mm audio adapter for an in-helmet mic. It also has a gain level adjustment within the camera to tune it to your mic, helmet and other environmental factors. Per some of the audio I’ve heard, it has voice-sensitive AGC and smart filtering (e.g., turns down ambient engine sound while detecting voice). I will likely give it a try in a month or so when all the requisite parts are in stock. It has a form factor a hair smaller than the GoPro 9/10.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I'm interested in the new Insta360 One RS. Besides the flexibility of both standard and 360 capability along with its improved video performance, I am especially intrigued by the improved audio quality per several reviews.

It has an optional small and inexpensive 3.5mm audio adapter for an in-helmet mic. It also has a gain level adjustment within the camera to tune it to your mic, helmet and other environmental factors. Per some of the audio I’ve heard, it has voice-sensitive AGC and smart filtering (e.g., turns down ambient engine sound while detecting voice). I will likely give it a try in a month or so when all the requisite parts are in stock. It has a form factor a hair smaller than the GoPro 9/10.
I use my Insta360 One R quite a bit, but only as a 360 camera as I didn't really feel that the single lens module offered anything any better than GoPro action cameras, the audio was terrible on it, so hopefully they have fixed that in the RS

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
There is a new camera coming out.
Some people already received a demo-model presale.
So curious to see if they made any positive changes.
Do WHAT????? Drift is back????? I mean, I've had great luck with my Ghost X, so if they give me something cooler than that, I'm in! 4K was a bit of a mess with firmware, and I'm finding so is the Hero 9.

bernhtp

Wannabie Member
May 22, 2018
I ride a
2020 BMW S 1000 RR (K67) M Sport
I use my Insta360 One R quite a bit, but only as a 360 camera as I didn't really feel that the single lens module offered anything any better than GoPro action cameras, the audio was terrible on it, so hopefully they have fixed that in the RS
The original One R was an interesting idea, but fell short. The new RS appears to address its shortcomings, match GoPro 10 for video quality, has better/easier audio (especially for us), and of course the versatility of both single lens and 360.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Do WHAT????? Drift is back????? I mean, I've had great luck with my Ghost X, so if they give me something cooler than that, I'm in! 4K was a bit of a mess with firmware, and I'm finding so is the Hero 9.

Tried to find the photo he shared, but it might have been a instagram story, so lost...
Looks nice, really curious about its quality and performance.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I'd say Hero 8. Great battery life, decent performance/image quality, and you can pick one up new or used for relatively cheap.

I'd second a used Hero 8. I love mine to death and have had no issues at all with it, other than user error now and then.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts