What Is The Value Of 4k?

TheDutchTexan

Wannabie Member
Jul 2, 2013
I ride a
bicycle...
I have used 60fps from the get go. And let me tell you, when an accident happens in front of you it helps a lot having those extra frames. Half time slomo silky smooth @ 30fps. pretty awesome.

Reactions: chaosnaut

VlotoMog

VlotoMog.com - troller is watching you -_-
Jun 30, 2014
The Netherlands
vlotomog.com
I ride a
Honda CBR600F3
4k on a phone display is the funniest thing happening in quite some time now. Yes, let's make the GPU work 4x as hard calculating 4x as much pixels while seeing absolutely no difference in the distance you are holding a 5.5+ inch phone. Useless, not even a gimmick just foolish imho.

4k on a TV, yes please. 4K vlogs, nah...I want to watch Sci-fi in 4k, and very awesome cool movies. But your run of the mill action movie or thriller, Full HD will do just fine for the coming years....some are still using HD (720p) and it's pretty old by now...years at least. Not to mention the space it will consume on all your devices, the battery drainage will go up siginificantly...etc etc. I just don't think it's worth it *yet*.

chaosnaut

one who travels through utter confusion
Mar 26, 2015
India
I ride a
Yamaha Crux 2012
I have used 60fps from the get go. And let me tell you, when an accident happens in front of you it helps a lot having those extra frames. Half time slomo silky smooth @ 30fps. pretty awesome.
Hmm..

I may make the switch to 720p 60fps too.

chaosnaut

Mar 26, 2015
India
I ride a
Yamaha Crux 2012
I just checked my camera and it reportedly does 720p/120fps but no 60fps. It can also do 1080p/60fps.

Suggestions?

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Use one of those settings... They will each use a similar amount of card space.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
1080p60 is a way better option than 720p120

You can still slow down 1080p60 to 30fps if you need to and it will look fine, and you will have a far sharper image than 720p.

No one is watching any videos at 120fps and YouTube doesn't support it.

kuhlka

Wannabie Member
Jul 7, 2014
SoCal OC
youtube.com
I ride a
2011 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red, 2007 Ducati 1098
For YouTube uploading in 4k? Absolutely nothing. But, go into your local electronics store and look at two identical size TV's, one running 1080p and the other running 4k and you won't believe your eyes. The amount of information coming at you is astonishing! And the picture clarity? It's like you are there. I truly think there won't be much of a difference between 4k and say 8k. Your eyes are quickly becoming the limiting factor.

BUT, here is the kicker. 4k gives you 4x digital zoom without (hypothetically) loss of quality. And down convert 4k video to 1080p and you will notice that the down converted video is way more crisp than the 1080p video coming out of your camera right now. (it has to do with compression, every camera usually has 1 key pixel that 4 pixels are getting their information from. down convert and you will have 1 key pixel per pixel = super nice 1080p)

Exactly, and if you do zooms in your vlogs to show stuff you see on the road, accidents you spotted, and other random stuff it lets you work in 4k and export in crisp 720 or 1080. Otherwise, zooms get blurred and pixelated to hell if you record and edit in 1080 or 720.

chaosnaut

Mar 26, 2015
India
I ride a
Yamaha Crux 2012
Well, it looks like my software needs an update to work with my 1080p 60fps files. They are in a format called XAVC and my video editor needs to be upgraded to work with those.

Looks like I'll be sticking with 720p for a while.

Marbro_za

Dan's princess
Mar 13, 2014
I ride a
Yamaha fz6
I have gone back to 30fps...
with 60 it looked like i had parkinsons or something, Got seasick just watching my vids. 30fps seems to tame that a bit.

TheDutchTexan

Wannabie Member
Jul 2, 2013
I ride a
bicycle...
60fps only works when you record smooth stationary video. I could technically use it in my CarVlogs since my camera's are stationary but I won't due to liking the slow-motion function AND I don't need 60fps! My C&C videos are another story though. 60fps is awesome in there imho.

Man, I am thinking about that 4K action cam for my dash right now... But, I took the liberty to download a RAW 4K clip, and while sony vegas 10 still edits it, it will take a long time. The poor program is about half a decade out of date!

kuhlka

Wannabie Member
Jul 7, 2014
SoCal OC
youtube.com
I ride a
60fps only works when you record smooth stationary video. I could technically use it in my CarVlogs since my camera's are stationary but I won't due to liking the slow-motion function AND I don't need 60fps! My C&C videos are another story though. 60fps is awesome in there imho.

Man, I am thinking about that 4K action cam for my dash right now... But, I took the liberty to download a RAW 4K clip, and while sony vegas 10 still edits it, it will take a long time. The poor program is about half a decade out of date!

I've been using the latest Sony software with my AS100V and it works pretty well.
Sony Movie Studio 13 Suite

kuhlka

Wannabie Member
Jul 7, 2014
SoCal OC
youtube.com
I ride a
I need to have something substantial to edit my stuff. Simple cut and paste... won't cut it... LOL!

Define substantial. I've worked in AfterEffects and Premiere before. Most moto vloggers don't use 99% of what those programs offer. You might want to try the 30-day for Sony because it's not just cut'n'paste.

TheDutchTexan

Wannabie Member
Jul 2, 2013
I ride a
bicycle...
I often need to digitally zoom, color grade and ad text events. I like the vegas workflow, I just know I'll need to upgrade down the line!

kuhlka

Wannabie Member
Jul 7, 2014
SoCal OC
youtube.com
I ride a
I often need to digitally zoom, color grade and ad text events. I like the vegas workflow, I just know I'll need to upgrade down the line!

Movie Studio has basically everything Vegas does except you have fewer export options, no surround sound control (who uses 4+ mics for vlogs?), and a few other features you'd only need if you're trying to do motion picture work or REALLY fancy effects stuff. Otherwise, it has tons of plug-ins and lets me do color adjustment and most of the image adjustments you'd find in most common image editors, except you edit along a timeline just like Vegas. IMO, it's the best bang for the buck for general web video. I was using Corel before Sony and their software was very basic by comparison. It also hung at 99% much of the time.

You can get pretty artsy fartsy with Movie Studio Suite. I did my undergrad BA in Digital Studio Art before going into the video game industry. I wouldn't bother with Premiere or After Effects unless I wanted to do really high end film industry stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Movie Studio even has ways to filter for green screen work. Modern basic video editors are more powerful than the versions of Premiere and After Effects I was using back in the 2000s.

It's nice that you can try Adobe stuff for like $30/mo and just drop your subscription if you don't need 90% of what it does. Ditto for trying out the latest Photoshop vs Gimp (free). I use the old Photoshop CS2 I got for free when they switched to the subscription-based service. I'll probably eventually do fancier stuff with my vlogs as I improve my workflow. I don't use most of what Movie Studio offers, and if you look at my most recent videos like Angeles Crest Chasing Sportbikes You'll see I do a lot more editing than most.

BurgrNoChz

Wannabie Member
Apr 9, 2015
Ohio
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2002 Volusia Intruder 800
Seen some videos recorded in 4k...honestly saw no difference from 60fps. I know 4k is trendy right now like anything else I like to wait til all the kinks are worked out before buying.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts