What do you think generates views? Interest (motovlogging related)

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
Reviews and 'how to' video's ... even a review on your own bike doing a specific test, such as I did test to see how my wife's XT250 went uphill on a freeway to see if it was safe to hold its own amongst traffic. A really steady growth. I hadn't really looked at the views then when I did it was over a thousand. Crazy.

Reactions: Baldbiker

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
I've just hit 26 whopping subscribers and I did a First Ride Review of my Hawk a few weeks back and it's about to go over 1000 views....maybe by end of week. My next closest video is around 250 and is twice as old.

So reviews are certain to garner views because it's searchable content. But I struggle with how to get people to view just motovlogging content. Even if I do something like riding to a destination and giving some info/history etc that might interest people, how do they find it? Some of this is rhetorical in nature because I know how they find it to some extent.

But for sure if you get people to your video and it has good engagement then I would think youtube would push your content more.

I'm still not awake yet, need more coffee....hopefully that made some semblance of sense
Good engagement and ten minute videos I heard. But I never plan my content to a time so not nailed that myself yet!

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
My thoughts on your list....

Things that (YBGuy) thinks generate the most views in a motovlog:

-Expressive energetic personality, good speaking voice (Yes)
-Humor (Yes)
-crashes (If you catch one, sadly Yes, you will get offers from compilation re-posters for these)
-Interaction with people (Yes)
-reviews (Definitely Yes)
-repairs/fixup/how-to (Maybe)
-Exotic locations (Maybe, with good keywords)
-Attractiveness on camera (Nah)
-Crazy driving/speeding (Sadly, yes, but I try not to post these)
-Stunts, high skill technical riding (Maybe, but risky)

Here are a couple more:
-Unboxings of popular items (Yes)
-Collaborations with other Vloggers and even non Vloggers

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Engagement generates more views. If people are engaged with your content, they comment and all that, which signals Youtube that your video is good, so that will bring more views. So plan your content in a way that you get the viewers involved, ask a question, ask for their opinion, etc...
Great write up/post Alex2wheel!

mymotorrad

Wannabie Member
Mar 26, 2021
Fountain Hills AZ
www.mymotorrad.com
I ride a
2009 R1200RT
IF we compile a list, of things that are motovlog related, that generate the most views, we can easily see why most of our videos are not getting any attention. With that said, sadly, most things I think of tends to be something I either don't want to do in my videos, 0r it's something I'd like to do but don't have much ability with. Such as attractiveness on camera. But ... it is what it is. I'm going to stick with what I like to do regardless. Feel free to add to this list!

Things that I think generate the most views in a motovlog:

-Expressive energetic personality, good speaking voice
-Humor
-crashes
-Interaction with people
-reviews
-repairs/fixup/how-to
-Exotic locations
-Attractiveness on camera
-Crazy driving/speeding
-Stunts, high skill technical riding

It depends on the demo. For instance, with bike stuff, riding a HD makes a difference. It's a different demo that's for sure and there are a lot more folks on HDs than any other brand in NA. Then there's the reality that's it's a demo and one could say that extends to motovlogging in general is that it's probably 90-95% male. Maybe more. And then there is the demographics of location in the country as well as other demographics that go along with that. There are a lot of common check boxes. Just look at the commercials at times. That will tell you something too. So if you know who your audience is and how to appeal to that demo, you can do well. Yes reviews seem to do better, but that becomes a job and some of what I see on YT is more fan boy reviews than anything professional or from a professional journalist. If I had an example, it would be the Indian junket in AZ a few months ago. You can watch the "influencers" and then watch Adam Waheed or a John Burns. Much different kind of content. The thing is that manufacturers love the YT stuff as it's advertising in a sense that will tend to be more positive overall. With traditional journalism, there is a wall between advertising and content. Writers want to be as objective as they can and actually will rebuff pressure from the money side if things don't go as the manufacturer would like. With YT there is no wall. The content creator is also the money side and wants views and a seat at the table and is more likely to be influenced by that than any ethical issues, IMO. Dan of G&G talks a little about it vis a vis some major YTer that had a F150 lightning for a couple hours and he disseminated info that was misleading. Dan was way to forgiving about it and really didn't go into the nuts and bolts reality, but again, he has his agenda too, which is a seat at the table. And so it goes. Like a lot of things in life that involve tribes/groups, you have to be willing to play by their rules to be accepted. It can be a difficult thing to do and also be authentic. I think a lot of people in all sorts of walks of media lose authenticity as they get more popular. Some aren't authentic from the start or not for long, but it seems to work for them. As someone that's more like an Evan Hansen without the hollywood/broadway ending, a lot of this stuff is apparent and yet I am still ineffectual in working it. Still, being on the outside looking in gives a rare perspective. All I can say is that on some level, humans are absurd.

Skyd

Wannabie Member
May 2, 2021
New Hampshire
I ride a
2020 RPS Hawk 250
@Alex2wheel have amended your post for you :)

@Skyd People don't tend to search for motovlogs, interaction with other people's content will likely get them to check out yours. Getting active with other motovloggers and doing collaborations can double your exposure, but getting views from reviews and installs etc will get you an audience, but they will not want to watch each review or install, but they might still want to know more about you, so treat reviews etc as a hook to catch new audiences, and then use your motovlogs to reel them in so they get to like your personality.

Ya my thoughts exactly, not very many people are searching for motovloggers. How to and Review videos are the best for me so far in my short running. Now I can sprinkle in a motovlog only video here and there and hopefully get some interest. I do engage with some other channels and comment and stuff, I dunno how much that's helping me so far but I'd be doing it anyway.

I'm friends with MotoCheez, he lives about 4 hours away from me and has around 40k subs. He invited me down for a ride this summer and will plug my channel. I'd go anyway, but that's just 1 more reason to make the drive. Now I just have to find the time.

Reactions: YBGuy and Drakhen99

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts