What do you do with footage after it's posted to YouTube?

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Being new to all this I have been pondering this very question. I think for now I am just keeping it all organized by project and then I will ultimately get externals or just delete. I feel like external drives are pretty cheap in the long run but I am not sure I will ever actually need any of that footage. I just hate the idea of parting with it all after spending so much time on it. It will likely be like my closet in the basement that has stuff that "shouldn't" be thrown out but sits untouched for years!;)

Honestly, i have delete 2 crashes/accidents years ago because i didn't felt like i wanted them online at that moment.
Nowadays i kinda regret that i deleted that footage. Could have been an interesting learning video, for myself as well.

Same as certain stuff you throw away when moving sometimes end up the stupid thing to do xD

WaltInPA

Wannabie Member
Jun 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
www.waltinpa.com
I ride a
2018 Honda CB650F
When I first stumbled onto this thread several weeks back, my reaction was "Ah, I don't need an external hard drive...."
At the time I was using an old camera shooting in 720p so the files weren't huge. Then I upgraded cameras and suddenly I was dealing with 40GB of unedited footage (I tend to just let me cameras run and edit out all the dead air afterward).

Now that I've added a second camera, things have gotten a little crazy. I just transferred roughly 80GB of unedited footage onto my hard drive and suddenly I see the appeal of an external drive. Just a few minutes ago I placed an order for a 2TB external drive.

Originally I was holding onto all of the footage just in case I might want some of it later. Going forward I think I'll keep a copy of the final video and dump the rest of the footage.

Reactions: HippoDrone

MickFist

Wannabie Member
Aug 20, 2018
Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer 600 '98 - The 'Mistress'
Going forward, I'll have to delete old footage to make room for new saves. Considering I've not needed anything I should just delete now, but I'm a bit of a horder, so can't quite bring myself to do it probably why I have my hard drive full.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
If you get to the point where you have new tech that is hugely better than older kit, I can't imagine I'd ever really use the older footage again as it'll possibly look worse

Reactions: MickFist

Ponkster

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2020
I ride a
VN 1500 rat sidecar rig and a Yamaha FZS/R1/R6/ other hybrid rat bike called "Rattus"
After it has uploaded ok I keep a copy of the final video and the thumbnail and delete all of the footage used . I store a copy of all my finished YouTube vids on a backup drive .

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I keep thinking about doing that... as I keep thinking about making a new trailer for my channel and can't as have deleted all my old vids

Teh Purp

Friendly Neighbourhood Idiot
Aug 9, 2020
SCOTLAND!
I ride a
SFV650, NC700x, anything im given
i used to keep EVERYTHING, even not usable footage, but with the newer camera this isnt gona be possable as it seems to produce significantly bigger files,

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts