What do you do with footage after it's posted to YouTube?

chrisw959

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
www.chriswallace959.weebly.com
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I just delete the footage. If need be I’d just rip it from YouTube. With some rides I’ve done I’ve rendered all the clips together, uploaded that to YouTube as private and then deleted the version from my PC/iPad depending what I’ve used to edit

Reactions: HippoDrone

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I keep the rendered videos in a folder on the PC, all footage is sorted on the drive as well. Each set of recordings for a video go in a folder and named so I can easily identify it. I have been going back and forth on keeping the footage captured or deleting it, can't make up my mind. I may just end up getting an external drive and dating it as someone mentioned. Unless it is a bad recording image wise and not usable I tend to save it. I have had ideas and used footage that I originally thought unusable but it fits the bill for b-roll. It is something I have thought about but have not run out of room yet. :rolleyes:
Yeah I'm the same.

Papa Jefe

Excuse me? It's "Harley Bro," not "Harley Guy."
Feb 7, 2020
Alabama, US
I ride a
2019 Harley-Davidson Softail FXBB Street Bob
Once the render is complete, I delete everything - the raw footage, the finished product, all of it. If there are any funny or mildly embarrassing clips I store them separately in a folder reserved for my end-of-year blooper reel.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
I use FCPX and the main culprit in eating storage is not the rendered videos but that #@%$^$@$#@# cache by FCPX, look for all the project cache and delete that shit.. The cache can be really huge although all the files you have deleted already. Don't need to worry even after deleting the cache your project will still load up fine.

As for myself I just delete whatever I've already uploaded, both the rendered one and the raw.

Reactions: WheelyPerd

WEB

Wannabie Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
I delete all the clips i'll never use again (stuff taken for a specific video like intros etc) but anything I -might- use again gets slapped on my NAS then put onto tape. They only get put on tape because my NAS is from 2006 or something (the disks aren't) and if it dies i'm stuffed, but i'm also not interested in buying a new one as it is really only used for video storage...

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
For now I'm keeping everything, the raw footage and the compiled vids I'm uploading to YT.

That will likely change though as my footage accumulates. Or I'll buy an external HD just to store it all on.

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
I'm filming in 1080p at 60 fps on 2 GoPro Hero 8's. Today it appeared 1.5 hr of footage was about 100 GB between the two, so for sure that's not going to be easily sustainable over years if I'm regularly capturing/posting.

Right now, I load them on my Mac (500 GB SSD) and edit them in Final Cut Pro like the OP mentioned, then transfer the organized folder for that specific edit to my 2 TB external SSD. I did notice Final Cut Pro is seemingly duplicating the footage to optimize it, so playing with the settings there.

Ultimately, I'm looking to keep bite-sized pieces so I can make an annual recap video and a decade recap video if I am still grinding then. I'd ideally like to upload to cold storage in the cloud after the annual recap video. So may look there.

jaycbee024

Wannabie Member
May 17, 2020
Tucson, AZ
I ride a
Panda Trail Rider (CT70 Clone) moving up to a Ice Bear Champion 125cc clone.
I tend to delete footage if it doesn't look usable, boring, blurry, bug dead on the lens ...
unless it's impossible to shoot again, in which case I Have to use it.
I am keeping some footage (about 2gb) just as B-Roll or stock footage.
My handheld records in .mod so (since I use wmm) I have to convert everything into wmv to use it anyway.
I really need to get away from movie maker, and learn to use something better.

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
I just picked up a 2 TB hard drive. I can't let go of certain memories lol. You never know if you want to upload on a different website.

Reactions: Meifesto

STR-Rider

Triple Rider
Aug 20, 2015
Tokyo, Japan
triple-rider.com
I ride a
Street Triple RS (2018)
Currently storing all footage on a Drobo 5N2 with ~10TB of storage. (not just GoPro stuff, but all other work I do as well) I'm coming up on 5 years for my YT channel land I think I'll build a 5 year rewind video using content that I've accumulated over the years. Currently at 2.95TB :cool::p

storage_20200521.JPG

Top Posters Past 30 days

Winners Video

Latest posts