What do you do with footage after it's posted to YouTube?

Stank

Stanksbeamen
Apr 2, 2017
USA
I ride a
2017 BMW S1000R
2008 HD Nightster (Sold)
So as the title states, what do you do with footage that's already been posted? Do you keep old footage on a hard drive or just what ever you posted?

I use Final Cut Pro X on my iMac. I've been editing them, posting it and just leaving it be. I got a notification that the storage on my TB hard drive is almost full :eek:. I never realized how much space all the videos actually take so I've not begun exporting all my videos as master files and uploading to YouTube instead of doing it directly from FCP. (Exporting direct from FCP is convenient but the file size is huge!)

Now that I have the master file I can store it on my external hard drive and remove the project from my library freeing up space. If I ever need to pull clips I can simply import the master file and edit out what I need. Does this sound like a good way to do things?

What do you all do? Thanks for the advice and sharing your editing/exporting experiences!

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I delete most once shared on YouTube unless I think it might make an interesting instagram clip later or if it was of an interesting visit. I don't see the point in keeping much anymore though as it takes up space on my hard drive and I can always download it from YouTube if I need it for anything in the future (at a lower quality).

Stank

Stanksbeamen
Apr 2, 2017
USA
I ride a
2017 BMW S1000R
2008 HD Nightster (Sold)
I delete most once shared on YouTube unless I think it might make an interesting instagram clip later or if it was of an interesting visit. I don't see the point in keeping much anymore though as it takes up space on my hard drive and I can always download it from YouTube if I need it for anything in the future (at a lower quality).

Yeah I think I'm going to do this as well. Exporting it as a master file is a lot smaller than keeping it in my editing library. Makes the most sense, I just never thought about it until I was about out of space lol...

I fill up multiple external hard discs xD

I think i have about 6 or 7 TB of external hard disc with both raw and unedited footage of the past 7 or so years.

Wow, that's a lot of space used up! What do you intend on doing with them or keeping it just in case?

Reactions: Meifesto

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Wow, that's a lot of space used up! What do you intend on doing with them or keeping it just in case?

Honestly, i dont know xD
I started with the idea of maybe using old footage in newer video's. Comparison between bikes or to show events i was talking about.
Never really did that (or i downloaded the clip from youtube as it was faster xD).

No it kinda is my backup if YT ever screws us over and removes accounts ;)

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I keep my old unedited and my projects for when I can't ride. That should be in a couple more centuries. :cool: Plus if something happens to me; my family has some great stuff to view.

I am on my 6 or 7th backup hard drive. I never store the files on the main cpu because early on I had a collaboration project fall through when the other rider's computer messed up.

Stank

Stanksbeamen
Apr 2, 2017
USA
I ride a
2017 BMW S1000R
2008 HD Nightster (Sold)
I've never thought about this. I reckon I'll need to do some housekeeping on my hard drive.

Haha yeah me either! Didn't realize how much space they took up...

Honestly, i dont know xD
I started with the idea of maybe using old footage in newer video's. Comparison between bikes or to show events i was talking about.
Never really did that (or i downloaded the clip from youtube as it was faster xD).

No it kinda is my backup if YT ever screws us over and removes accounts ;)

Smart! YT seems to be screwing the motovlogging community so definitely smart to do. :)

I keep my old unedited and my projects for when I can't ride. That should be in a couple more centuries. :cool: Plus if something happens to me; my family has some great stuff to view.

I am on my 6 or 7th backup hard drive. I never store the files on the main cpu because early on I had a collaboration project fall through when the other rider's computer messed up.

Also, a good reason to keep footage around. Didn't really think about it for future/family use. Neat idea! :D

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I usually put all the interesting stuff in my videos so there's no need to hold onto extra footage, plus hard drives are expensive

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I have a few external TB drives that I store everything on. If i don't end up making a vlog out of something within 6 months I scrap it from the drive. But the ones that I have made I prefer to keep that footage at least for the next few years.

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I delete the video file that gets uploaded, but I generally keep most of my footage if it was used for a video.
Keep in mind I only use a cheap 1080p cam, so the files are not massive.

Reactions: Stank and Meifesto

ZachRidesY

ZachRidesYo
Dec 12, 2019
NW Florida
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Kawasaki KLR 650
Similar to what some others have stated already, I don't trust YouTube to "always keep" my videos. I actually work from a 4TB external and save the raw files and edited files there. I label the drive (physically with a label maker) the date it goes into service and a descriptor (Video). If a clip looks completely unusable I delete it. If it looks like I could use it for anything it stays on the drive. When the drive fills I will buy another and continue.

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
I keep the old footage as backup. Stored in an external hard drive. You just never know when you need them

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I have two 4tb external drives so keep all my unedited and published videos. Main reason for holding onto published ones is incase I want to do a best of vid at some point.

The unedited ones I will probably delete eventually.

XT Donkey

Wannabie Member
Jan 9, 2020
I ride a
Yamaha Tracer 900 ABS
My process is really once it goes up on to YouTube I Dump the files off the camera and the rendered files on to a hard drive once that hard drive is full I bag it and date it ........ Normally fill a hard drive every year depending on size and amount of footage

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
I keep the rendered videos in a folder on the PC, all footage is sorted on the drive as well. Each set of recordings for a video go in a folder and named so I can easily identify it. I have been going back and forth on keeping the footage captured or deleting it, can't make up my mind. I may just end up getting an external drive and dating it as someone mentioned. Unless it is a bad recording image wise and not usable I tend to save it. I have had ideas and used footage that I originally thought unusable but it fits the bill for b-roll. It is something I have thought about but have not run out of room yet. :rolleyes:

Reactions: HRMV and HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts