What Are Your Thoughts On Picture In Picture Videos.

ShadowRide

Wannabie Member
Aug 22, 2022
Central Ohio
I ride a
Honda Goldwing
What are your thought on how to use picture in picture videos. By that I mean showing different camera angles at the same time. I like the look, but I don't see it used often.

I'm trying to get my dog in the videos more because people love seeing her in the trailer. I've been alternating views instead of using picture in picture for now.

I know that just testing and studying the results will be the best way, but I'm not getting enough subscribers right now for a large enough data set to get good information from at this point. If you've tested this before, what were your results?

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
What are your thought on how to use picture in picture videos. By that I mean showing different camera angles at the same time. I like the look, but I don't see it used often.

I'm trying to get my dog in the videos more because people love seeing her in the trailer. I've been alternating views instead of using picture in picture for now.

I know that just testing and studying the results will be the best way, but I'm not getting enough subscribers right now for a large enough data set to get good information from at this point. If you've tested this before, what were your results?
They are really good for capturing some things. For example, let's say you and your dog both spy a deer on the side of the road. If you both react at the same time then that would be really cool vs. showing one reaction and then another.

I used to use it a lot on group rides when I was near the middle of the pack so as many people were in the shot as possible.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I have done it as an effect, for short moments, in longer video. It just felt right, at that moment. Often the picture in picture problem is, that you might cover up something important in one picture, to show the other one large enough.

Skipshift

Perpetual Rookie
Aug 23, 2021
Arkansas, USA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2012 gsxr 600
I use it on a few occasions, but generally use a single view and swap between camera angles to break up the monotony of staring at the road or at me for too long.
I do like R-Rated's idea though with showing reactions to things on the rides. And having the doggo in the back will give watchers something to watch when the scenery isn't grabbing their attention.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I've used it a few times, but tend to just swap between the video rather than showing both. I've found on some channels where they use it a lot, it is not my cup of tea, I generally think a second angle should add to a video and be purposeful rather than having both views up at the same time for no reason... I also use the second camera angle to make cuts to kill dead air time which you'd not be able to do if you had both cameras on screen at once!

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Like the others, I will lean more on swapping camera angles, but when the situation calls for it - or the footage is good for multiple angles at the same time - I'll use a PIP or split screen to show the different vantage points.

I have used up to 4 at once. I think it's pretty cool, especially if one is a 360 camera - you can animate that camera and show a static view of the rider, for instance, which is what I did in a recent video on 360 recording.

-John

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I've used PinP a few times but I strongly prefer swapping cam angles, simply because it allows for easier editing.

Yeah my reasons are purely selfish! :D
PIP is really cool if you want to show both angles simultaneously, which doesn't happen too often. I used it in my "360 video editing in 2022" video, where I was talking and making gestures, so I showed me on the right, and the left 2/3 of the screen was the 360 footage doing what I was talking about :D I thought it was neat, so I did it.

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts