TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
Sat my Mod 2 today and failed it. Not happy that I've just wasted £75 I don't have. So, thanks to the sprouts in the EU I now have to sit these new stupid tests. Now here's the dilema. Should I sit the new A1 licence since I've passed Mod 1 and ride a crappy 125 for 2 yrs or should I just go and sit the A2 Mod 1 and Mod 2 tests? I'm not 24 till August and my CBT/Theory runs out in Sept/Oct. Problem with the A2 now is that I'll probably need to get my own bike and lower it.

Really wish the world would just end!!!!

BKarol

Wannabie Member
Dec 14, 2012
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Kawasaki ER6F (Ninja 650)
Oh that's terrible... I don't see a point in doing A1, if you really don't want to ride a 125 for the next 6 months then maybe do A2? and then after 2 years just take a practice test. On the new A2 you gone be restricted to 35kw (CBR 250 or 500)

TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
BKarolX said:
Oh that's terrible... I don't see a point in doing A1, if you really don't want to ride a 125 for the next 6 months then maybe do A2? and then after 2 years just take a practice test. On the new A2 you gone be restricted to 35kw (CBR 250 or 500)

I've seen a GS500 cheap so I'm thinking on buying that and lowering it to make it easier for me and sit the A2. Seems logical. Gonna go back to the training school tomorrow and see what the GS feels like weight wise etc.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
Considering your age, you'd benefit more from doing the new test anyway.

If you'd passed today, you would only be able to ride up to 33bhp (since I remember you saying you were going for this test over the 21+ direct access scheme). If you pass the A2 licence under the new laws, you'd be able to ride a bike up to 46.6bhp.

There's no point doing the A1 licence, and if you wanted to once you're 24 you could do the direct access test and ride anything.

Your training school should have bikes for you to use on the A2 test. Might be worth talking to them about it and renting one while you make up the cash for your own bigger bike, if you choose to get one. Just because you're on a bigger licence, doesn't mean you have to get rid of your 125 - of course.

Your decision.

TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
Friz said:
Considering your age, you'd benefit more from doing the new test anyway.

If you'd passed today, you would only be able to ride up to 33bhp (since I remember you saying you were going for this test over the 21+ direct access scheme). If you pass the A2 licence under the new laws, you'd be able to ride a bike up to 46.6bhp.

There's no point doing the A1 licence, and if you wanted to once you're 24 you could do the direct access test and ride anything.

Your training school should have bikes for you to use on the A2 test. Might be worth talking to them about it and renting one while you make up the cash for your own bigger bike, if you choose to get one. Just because you're on a bigger licence, doesn't mean you have to get rid of your 125 - of course.

Your decision.

Now that I have calmed a bit it's beginning to make more sense. Will go up tomorrow and see what they say.

Stenno

Wannabie Member
Mar 6, 2012
Surbiton, UK
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki SV650/S
Took me three attempts to pass mod 2, I was ready to quit altogether if I failed the third time. I just had some real bad luck on the first two. Keep plugging away, you'll get there!

withabitofginger

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mansfield Notts, uk
I ride a
Ducati diavel carbon black
ahhh dont worry bout it! I'm sure you'll get through it next time, personally I think I'd stick with what I've got till I'm 24 then do the direct access course (full Category A)

If it makes you feel any better... I passed first attempt on july 21st 2011..... I crashed Sept 21st 2011...... and as my bike was wrote off, been without one ever since (waiting for insurance to pay out plus a few medical issues)

UnstableBoy

Wannabie Member
Sep 3, 2012
NJ, USA
www.youtube.com
I ride a
'99 Ninja 250, 2012 V-Strom 650
makes me really wonder what you guys over there have to do to get licenced... I took a weekend course over here and even though the school's test is harder then the state test... it was not THAT bad... (and I passed with a perfect score :D )

TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
The licences in Europe are a joke! Especially these new ones that come into effect on the 19th. You can do your driving test in a Scooby Impreza at 17 and drive that afterwards but if you want to ride a Gixxer under these new licences and you're 17 you need to wait till you're 24 and sit 3 tests!

Can't wait till I have a decent job and money to get outta this place.

sstimmyy

Wannabie Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oxfordshire, England, UK
I ride a
Honda CB600F Hornet 1999
AlfistiKid said:
The licences in Europe are a joke! Especially these new ones that come into effect on the 19th. You can do your driving test in a Scooby Impreza at 17 and drive that afterwards but if you want to ride a Gixxer under these new licences and you're 17 you need to wait till you're 24 and sit 3 tests!

Can't wait till I have a decent job and money to get outta this place.

Statistically, 17 year olds and GSXRs don't mix well. The few that do have them generally cant afford to insure them, so they don't bother restricting them either. Then they go splatting into things. I spent a long time talking a friend out of buying a GSXR600 as his first big bike...

withabitofginger

Wannabie Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mansfield Notts, uk
I ride a
Ducati diavel carbon black
I agree with you on that one sstimmyy, at 17/18 I was a proper speed freak. Any car I owned I wanted it to go faster... I got into the modifying scene and everything... If I'd have done my motorcycle license at that point, I probably would have splatted myself. Now I'm 27 I look back and think, what a little knob I was and how pointless was the car modifying scene?

I only had my bike for two months before I crashed but I took almost every journey steadily, rarely went over the speed limit and was happy to cruise along...quote from witness of crash "I saw the bike and liked the look of it so decided to catch up with it. I looked at my speedo out of interest and noticed the rider was doing bang on the limit of 40mph and thought to myself wow, he's really sticking to the law with his riding style, if it was me on that bike, it would be different"

So I think the laws are better to increase the chances of "survival of the fittest". Crashing a suburu impreza at 70mph will have a different outcome to crashing a superbike at 70mph

ParisianZee

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Paris, France
www.parisianzee.com
I ride a
2011 BMW F800-R
AlfistiKid said:
You can do your driving test in a Scooby Impreza at 17 and drive that afterwards but if you want to ride a Gixxer under these new licences and you're 17 you need to wait till you're 24 and sit 3 tests!

Wow.

That's because a Subaru Impreza has airbags, traction control, ABS, not to mention fucking doors, a roof and four wheels. Also, it does 0-60 in six or seven seconds. Not 3. If you hit something with it at 30mph chances are you'll be walking away from it just fine. Hit something straight on at 30mph with a GSXR (that is, by the way, FAR HARDER to control than any car) and you'll probably look like minced meat.

A 17 year old with a GSXR... god almighty. That's begging for a not-so-immediate and not-so-painless death.

Take your time man. At 17 you should be riding a 50cc scooter, certainly not a 600cc roadster, definitely not a GSXR.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
ParisianZee said:
AlfistiKid said:
You can do your driving test in a Scooby Impreza at 17 and drive that afterwards but if you want to ride a Gixxer under these new licences and you're 17 you need to wait till you're 24 and sit 3 tests!

Wow.

That's because a Subaru Impreza has airbags, traction control, ABS, not to mention fucking doors, a roof and four wheels. Also, it does 0-60 in six or seven seconds. Not 3. If you hit something with it at 30mph chances are you'll be walking away from it just fine. Hit something straight on at 30mph with a GSXR (that is, by the way, FAR HARDER to control than any car) and you'll probably look like minced meat.

A 17 year old with a GSXR... god almighty. That's begging for a not-so-immediate and not-so-painless death.

Take your time man. At 17 you should be riding a 50cc scooter, certainly not a 600cc roadster, definitely not a GSXR.

I think the point she was making is that the bike test is unrealistically difficult and complicated compared the the car test, which has no real restriction.

I actually agree with certain restrictions on the bike test - but I don't think this should be down to age. I also thing the restrictions should effect car drivers too, because they're just as likely to run into someone/thing right after passing.

ParisianZee

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Paris, France
www.parisianzee.com
I ride a
2011 BMW F800-R
Friz said:

Oh?

Friz said:
was making is that the bike test is unrealistically difficult and complicated compared the the car test, which has no real restriction.

That's interesting. Maybe it is in the UK, certainly isn't here.

Actually, our car licence works almost EXACTLY the same way as the bike licence does.

- 20 mandatory hours of lessons in a licenced driving (or riding) school
- The SAME theory test (40 questions including 5 car-specific or bike-specific questions)

The only difference is that the bike exam is split in two (and the car is only one session) but the total overall duration is the same. Price is also the same, about £1000.

Yes, there are more restrictions for bikes - but then again bikes are a LOT more dangerous, no matter how you look at it.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
ParisianZee said:

You seem surprised!

ParisianZee said:
Actually, our car licence works almost EXACTLY the same way as the bike licence does.

- The SAME theory test (40 questions including 5 car-specific or bike-specific questions)

The only difference is that the bike exam is split in two (and the car is only one session) but the total overall duration is the same. Price is also the same, about £1000.

Yes, there are more restrictions for bikes - but then again bikes are a LOT more dangerous, no matter how you look at it.

We don't have mandatory test hours over here in the UK.

I'm not denying that bikes are more dangerous, I just think it'd make more sense for similar restrictions to be on cars as their are bikes. Forget how likely you are to kill yourself, what about killing someone else?

;)

TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
Friz said:
ParisianZee said:

You seem surprised!

ParisianZee said:

We don't have mandatory test hours over here in the UK.

I'm not denying that bikes are more dangerous, I just think it'd make more sense for similar restrictions to be on cars as their are bikes. Forget how likely you are to kill yourself, what about killing someone else?

;)

Aye he does seems surprised haha.

I know there's more chance of being killed on a Gixxer than a Scooby but it was just an example. Why have all these restrictions for a bike licence but none on a car one.

TheDiabeticBiker

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha MT07
Ducati Monster 600
Well sat mod 2 again the other day and wait for it... failed yet again :(

Sitting at lights waiting to turn right and the light went amber, looked as if the 2 cars coming down the other side were slowing down so I went. Nearly got wiped out! How could I have been so stupid!

So, I'm going to wait till the end of Feb to re-sit because the weather is terrible here at the moment snow, ice, very cold etc. By the time I travel the 12 miles to the test centre I'm frozen and miserable, plus the lack of sleep I'm getting and worry over my hand (got carpal tunnel in left hand) now that I'm getting sent for nerve tests and possible op isn't helping me. Will hopefully pass next time :s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts