Wales Tour - Planning

MickFist

Wannabie Member
Aug 20, 2018
Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer 600 '98 - The 'Mistress'
Earlier this year I was looking to set up a small tour of Wales to end my Summer with the aim to create a small parter series. I'd never been there before, and it was close enough to Home that any serious incident meant I could get back fairly easy. Planning didn't get very far (obvious reasons)...

I was discussing it with a friend, and being who we are, got to thinking about some funnies to do along the trip. Sadly, the more I thought about them, the more I kept saying "Ahh, Top Gear already did it!" - In any case, and not wanting to copy the format directly, I thought a bit of something along the way might be nice to break up the road riding (is that still a motovlog then?). Maybe more Hairy Bikers, than Jeremy Clarkson. Videography wise, its something I had always wanted to attempt at some point (maybe I need more experience first? lol).

I think it being my first Tour to a place I have never been should be content enough, and maybe I shouldn't over stretch myself (which I have a habit of doing), but just wondered if i'd be missing out on the REAL Wales, if there even is such a thing? I expect the scenery to be fully amazing ofc!

So, I just wondered if there was any Cymry knocking about to give your favourite Sais a few pointers on Wales' more weird and wonderful past times or points of interest. I am very much interested in the Bog Snorkeling championships for example. But, I draw the line at that zip line!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Wales is a wonderful place to explore on a bike. I very much had hoped to get there again this year, but need to find my travelling mojo again

Reactions: MickFist

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Top Gear ran for how many seasons? They did a lot of stuff. Don't worry about it. Just put your own flare on it.

2002 some friends and I each bought a car for £500 and raced UK to Gibraltar. Long before top gear did it.

2006 I drove a Mini Scamp kit car I built myself on the Mongol Rally from UK to Mongolia.

Just do your thing. If "Top Gear" did it. So what. Just make it your own! Put your own spin on it. Don't think about copying, just think of the initial idea and how you would do it

MickFist

Wannabie Member
Aug 20, 2018
Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer 600 '98 - The 'Mistress'
HAHA nice CV - bet they were amazing trips!

You are more than right! Deffo do it my way. I only mentioned it as was easy to draw the comparison and a bit of context. I tend to ramble as well lol

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
HAHA nice CV - bet they were amazing trips!

You are more than right! Deffo do it my way. I only mentioned it as was easy to draw the comparison and a bit of context. I tend to ramble as well lol

Haha yeah I've done some crazy things in my years! Seen some amazing things places and people.

Ramble is fine i think a good user of the forum can be a sound board for ideas, just didn't want you to bin a potentially great idea because some big production company did it and set a trend. Anything we do will most likely have abetter feel to it anyway as it won't have the big production money not to mention our trips will actually be authentic and not staged.

Groups of mates have been doing stupid stuff for years with banter, they don't own it lol.

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Never been to Wales but hear good things about the roads and scenery down there. One day we will maybe get there.

B.Vation

@Bikervation
Feb 28, 2019
Wiltshire
I ride a
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200R Roadster
Earlier this year I was looking to set up a small tour of Wales to end my Summer with the aim to create a small parter series. I'd never been there before, and it was close enough to Home that any serious incident meant I could get back fairly easy. Planning didn't get very far (obvious reasons)...

I was discussing it with a friend, and being who we are, got to thinking about some funnies to do along the trip. Sadly, the more I thought about them, the more I kept saying "Ahh, Top Gear already did it!" - In any case, and not wanting to copy the format directly, I thought a bit of something along the way might be nice to break up the road riding (is that still a motovlog then?). Maybe more Hairy Bikers, than Jeremy Clarkson. Videography wise, its something I had always wanted to attempt at some point (maybe I need more experience first? lol).

I think it being my first Tour to a place I have never been should be content enough, and maybe I shouldn't over stretch myself (which I have a habit of doing), but just wondered if i'd be missing out on the REAL Wales, if there even is such a thing? I expect the scenery to be fully amazing ofc!

So, I just wondered if there was any Cymry knocking about to give your favourite Sais a few pointers on Wales' more weird and wonderful past times or points of interest. I am very much interested in the Bog Snorkeling championships for example. But, I draw the line at that zip line!

You can’t go far wrong by following the A487 from Fishguard to Bangor, the West Coast road has some awesome scenery.

Reactions: HRMV and MickFist

Dnljmrs

Dr Dan
Apr 13, 2020
South Wales
www.danielmorse.me.uk
I ride a
Suzuki GSX650f (K8)
South Walian here :)
South West, and west coast are brilliant for coastal scenic routes. The other options I'd recommend are through the Brecon Beacons, or north of that via Macchynnlaith/newtown, then east toward aberystwyth. You can go north from there to Anglesey/Bangor and back east toward Liverpool

It depends where you are really - the M4 east to west you can go to Swansea, Ogmore, Pembrokshire and Fishguard, then pick up the west coast heading north as B. Vation says. Alternatively, from the top go to Bangor/Anglesey to west coast and then head south, or from Rhyl to Bangor, then down through snowdonia toward Newtown. Lots of routes!

Reactions: HippoDrone

KrustyBoot

Become one with the Krustyness
Jun 8, 2020
East Anglia, UK.
I ride a
All the shit bikes! :)
I used to live in Mid Wales and and spent years riding around all over Wales. There is a million things to see and its great country for exploring on a motorbike. I enjoy the remote parts the most but you do have to ride pretty sensible as the nearest A&E is likely to be quite a long way away and you probably won't have mobile phone coverage either! Have fun and stay safe! :)

Titter

Wannabie Member
Aug 14, 2020
I ride a
Multistrada 1200 and Street Triple 675R
I've got a trip planned for North Wales in September with some blokes off a Triumph Sprint forum, I could send you the routes that have been done for that if you like.

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
I've got a trip planned for North Wales in September with some blokes off a Triumph Sprint forum, I could send you the routes that have been done for that if you like.

Got to Love a Triumph Sprint...! Love my 05 Fast Blue! Is Wales fully open now?

Titter

Wannabie Member
Aug 14, 2020
I ride a
Multistrada 1200 and Street Triple 675R
Oh no mate!!! What happened?!! Were you okay?
Have you seen my bike yet?
I'm okay now but was pretty smashed up at the time :p. Wish I'd been recording at the time of the accident. I hit a car which I was overtaking and that was apparently indicating to turn right. I don't remember anything about the accident but witnesses say he had his indicator on. Anyway, all's well that ends well, I'm here to tell the story.
I've seen your bike Bob, I fitted the Trident Exhaust to mine too, sounded lovely! Do you ever frequent the Sprint forum? I've met some top blokes off there. Its a great point of call for any info you need about the Sprint. A lot of them have moved on to different bikes but we still use the forum to keep in touch and have weekends away once or twice a year.

Reactions: City Bob

City Bob

Immature Amateur
Jun 30, 2020
London, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
I'm okay now but was pretty smashed up at the time :p. Wish I'd been recording at the time of the accident. I hit a car which I was overtaking and that was apparently indicating to turn right. I don't remember anything about the accident but witnesses say he had his indicator on. Anyway, all's well that ends well, I'm here to tell the story.
I've seen your bike Bob, I fitted the Trident Exhaust to mine too, sounded lovely! Do you ever frequent the Sprint forum? I've met some top blokes off there. Its a great point of call for any info you need about the Sprint. A lot of them have moved on to different bikes but we still use the forum to keep in touch and have weekends away once or twice a year.

I go on the Facebook group, but it's there a specific Forum? Do you have a link?

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts