USB c cameras n hdds?

Teh Purp

Friendly Neighbourhood Idiot
Aug 9, 2020
SCOTLAND!
I ride a
SFV650, NC700x, anything im given
While looking through this section of the forum a new possibility occurred to me and I'd just wondered if anyone a little better equipped could/would try it.

Anyone tried using an external hdd for there USB c camera? I'd assume it would need a middle man to work, and guess there isn't any all in one solution for this yet.....

Anyway, just a curiosity. Anyone tried this?

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
I don't know of anyone doing that. You wouldn't want to use a hard drive as those cannot be shaken or dropped at all. You would have to use flash memory. You could probably do something like outputting the video via hdmi and then record it with a capture card. There's also hdmi to usb converters. You could connect it to a computer like a raspberry pi and then capture all the footage on there. If you are looking to do this on a motorcycle, I would probably give up.
I'm using 128GB micro SD cards in my Hero7 and they last me plenty of time before needing to swap one out.

Teh Purp

Aug 9, 2020
SCOTLAND!
I ride a
It's more the mechanics of doing it I'm interested in, could all ways use an ssd instead of a hdd, makes it flash storage, pretty sure it would be more than useless at actually working on the fly tough,

Reactions: FloridaMan

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
It's more the mechanics of doing it I'm interested in, could all ways use an ssd instead of a hdd, makes it flash storage, pretty sure it would be more than useless at actually working on the fly tough,
You've got me interested. Would be a cool experiment to see how compact you could make a high storage solution.

Teh Purp

Aug 9, 2020
SCOTLAND!
I ride a
You've got me interested. Would be a cool experiment to see how compact you could make a high storage solution.
I mean if youv got the bank for it you can get 512gb micro sd cards now, they cost as much as a gopro though.....(double checked price, they are "only" £150 or so....)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I've never filled a Micro SD memory card, even on a multi day ride, so never looked at alternative memory devices. Someone told me in my early days the it is better to have a few memory cards then one large one as if it fails, you lose everything! :)

Reactions: FloridaMan

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts