Touring Europe 2021

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
Next year we are planning a tour of Europe, from the UK via the tunnel, down to Perpignan, around the med to Genoa and then back up through Switzerland, Black Forest, Holland and then get the ferry back from Hook to Harwich.

Anyone have any recommendations of places to see and visit on the route?

This one is going to be a big one and there's going to be a lot of planning involved, hence starting 9 months in advance!

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Next year we are planning a tour of Europe, from the UK via the tunnel, down to Perpignan, around the med to Genoa and then back up through Switzerland, Black Forest, Holland and then get the ferry back from Hook to Harwich.

This one is going to be a big one and there's going to be a lot of planning involved, hence starting 9 months in advance!
If camping, there is a nice campsite on the Italian Swiss border in Cannobio called Campeggio Pedro

Reactions: motosera

Lagoutte

Wannabie Member
Aug 1, 2020
I ride a
Cb125r
i have just finished crosing french alpes north to south (route des grandes alpes) and the pyrenées east to west, it's really beautiful. i found the trace on tom tom drive, best road for motorcycle for free. it looks likes it's your road. make sure you stop by the basque country around a village called Iraty; then next to Marseille the route des cretes in the natural parc "des calanques" in the Alpes make sur you do the "col de l'isoard".

Youtube : Romano on the road

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: motosera

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
i have just finished crosing french alpes north to south (route des grandes alpes) and the pyrenées east to west, it's really beautiful. i found the trace on tom tom drive, best road for motorcycle for free. it looks likes it's your road. make sure you stop by the basque country around a village called Iraty; then next to Marseille the route des cretes in the natural parc "des calanques" in the Alpes make sur you do the "col de l'isoard".

Youtube : Romano on the road

Thank you, yes thats a very similar route to we are planning. I have quite a lot of places on the list. It will only be a 2 week tour, so we are planning to use it as a bit of a fact finding mission too, we will likely revisit places again where we think we need more time!

Arfa

Beginner Biker Adventures
Nov 17, 2020
London
www.beginnerbiker.com
I ride a
Yamaha FZ6
After so much uncertainty, at least some of the travel changes from Brexit are starting to be confirmed now. Keys things you'll need:
  1. 6 months left on your passport (either old brown or new blue one)
  2. From 2021, could be asked for proof of onward journey or return tickets, so don't buy a one-way Chunnel ticket!
  3. From 2022, a £6 visa waiver for visits to EU under 90 days (a bit like the US ESTA)
  4. Current European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will still be valid until they expiry. A new UK Global Health Insurance Card, but little info on this just yet.
  5. Green card from your insurer to prove your car/bike is insured.
  6. Most UK citizens won't need an international driving license, but those with licenses issued outside of UK (e.g. Guernsey, Gibraltar, Isle of Man etc) will need to.
So a bit more hassle, but still feasible and not too costly.
More info on the Money Saving Expert website.

Reactions: HRMV and HippoDrone

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
I wouldn't use the ferry to Harwich. Much cheaper and faster to go from Dunqerque - and as long as you are not from Harwich it's usually not many more miles to do either. Don't miss Col de la Bonette and route de Grandes Alpes

Reactions: HRMV

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800

This sounds like an epic trip in the planning.

Some decent advise given above re changes for now we have officially left Europe.

Personally I don't think I will see Europe mainland until 2022.

bernhtp

Wannabie Member
May 22, 2018
I ride a
2020 BMW S 1000 RR (K67) M Sport
I still hope to go to Pyrenees this year. If the borders will be closed I will go to Scotland probably ;)
I have a Pyrenees tour with friends scheduled for mid June, chartered through Edelweiss. Spain and France are rumored to reopen, but I don't know if it's going to happen in time. We should know in a few days.

Reactions: HippoDrone

bernhtp

Wannabie Member
May 22, 2018
I ride a
Well, my Pyrenees tour for June just got cancelled. Spain is still closed to Americans. So dumb and unnecessary. I was looking forward to Europe and am very disappointed.

My buddies and I are about to plan something stateside.

• Sad
Reactions: HippoDrone

bernhtp

Wannabie Member
May 22, 2018
I ride a
So my group is thinking about rescheduling the canceled Pyrenees trip for mid-Sept, but are also open to other areas/tours such as the Dolomites (Edelweiss Alps Extreme). We figure that governments should gather up enough sense by then to open up, September is still warm enough, and the summer crowds will be gone by then. We're an experienced/quick group of riders and want something technical/challenging in twisty and beautiful mountain roads.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts