Touring And Motovlogging

CaptainCranky

Misunderstood genius
Nov 14, 2013
Lismore, NSW, Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2013 Honda CB500XA
This is something that could do with some discussion and topics.

To kick it off, I've done a few tours with other motovloggers and have found the following are things that need to be planned for and considered:

Uploading whilst on tour: I've never tried uploading until I get home - I spend too much time on the reviewing and editing for that to work for me. If anyone has experienced trying to upload whilst on the road maybe they could share their stories here?

From my experiences, essential things are:
  • a laptop plus an external drive to drop everything off the camera cards, maybe a few times per day.
  • Spare memory cards, spare batteries PLUS usb power from the bike PLUS an external 20 hour battery (can use it to boost battery life during eating stops without a power supply).
  • Don't forget headphones for editing in public places or late at night in shared rooms etc.
  • Bring all your chargers and a power board with 4 to 6 outlets.

if anyone would like to see the results of my tours just click on my channel link in my signature and there are playlists for the tours on my channel.

Ride safe everyone :)

Reactions: HRMV and RealRider

Marbro_za

Dan's princess
Mar 13, 2014
I ride a
Yamaha fz6
When i was on tour I took

Bag of clothes,

Laptop backpack, with 2 cables for my cam( Incase one failed), 3 memory cards (2x 16gb and 1 32) , 2 powerbanks,
I had a usb port on the bike, that was charging my phone/gps , but i would also charge the power banks off it when i felt the need,

Everytime i stopped, I would charge up my powerbanks and camera, while eating/drinking/sitting
If i stayed longer than an hour (food stops only) then i would dump all the data i could. I dumped to my laptop and to an external usb drive.

As for editing, I did it the first night when i arrived, But after that, i waited until i got home,

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
No need for a laptop. If you have a proper phone, you can connect your HDD to it via USB and transfer from the SD card to the HDD.

Reactions: HRMV

Marbro_za

Dan's princess
Mar 13, 2014
I ride a
Yamaha fz6
Or go alot less complicated and just use your laptop

Plus you charge your camera while downloading footage. win win!

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
It's just a cable. If that's too complicated for you I'm worried that you're riding a bike :p

Reactions: dandoolittle

Marbro_za

Dan's princess
Mar 13, 2014
I ride a
Yamaha fz6
no its not.. its like more involved.

and have you seen my videos? Im not smart anyways

RealRider

No longer a member
Nov 5, 2014
Brisbane
With my recent ride with Cranky to Sydney I learned a few things:

- Super Sports Bikes go a surprisingly far distance on empty =P
- Jerry can was nice to have but riding along east coast Australia there seems to be plenty of servos to not need it
- Max 6 hours a day seemed perfect ratio to avoid too much fatigue
- Bring enough SDs to record for 2 days before removing footage
- Downloading from SD to a portable HDD seems essential
- Batteries, batteries or a power outlet

TriumfAnt

It was good while it lasted
Jan 20, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800XC
With my recent ride with Cranky to Sydney I learned a few things:

- Super Sports Bikes go a surprisingly far distance on empty =P
- Jerry can was nice to have but riding along east coast Australia there seems to be plenty of servos to not need it
- Max 6 hours a day seemed perfect ratio to avoid too much fatigue
- Bring enough SDs to record for 2 days before removing footage
- Downloading from SD to a portable HDD seems essential
- Batteries, batteries or a power outlet

Did you have a stand alone HDD or laptop? I've been looking at some of the stand alone ones but so far it's cheaper to just buy more SD cards. Cheers.

RealRider

No longer a member
Nov 5, 2014
Brisbane
Did you have a stand alone HDD or laptop? I've been looking at some of the stand alone ones but so far it's cheaper to just buy more SD cards. Cheers.

It is more so you can organise them as you remove them from SD, I can't remember boo of what is on which SD after a day let alone a tour.

Just long enough so that its not a sit on your arse holiday, but more of a sit on your arse and ride around holiday

The Miss Muffet zone lol :D

Mr AusAdventure

Adventure is as Adventure does
Sep 16, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki V-Strom DL650 + A MTB!
How did I miss this little part of the site for so long?
I have tried both editing whilst on the road and editing when I return and I definitely prefer to edit after the trip is done.
When I look back at the videos that I edited and uploaded on the road, they seem rushed and full of errors.
This also came down to experience though, as I realised quickly during that first motovlogging tour that I did not have enough memory space or back up power.
So a lot of the videos had loads of footage from the start of the day and not much from later in the day.
Taking the laptop is essential for me as both a means to clear the memory cards at a stage throughout the day when resting and also to organise the files from 4 cameras or so.
I'd have no hope trying to remember when each was taken when it came time to editing if I didn't organise the files into separate folders on the day.
USB charger on the bike is also essential.
Plus a travelling partner with a good sense of humour that doesn't mind stopping to film weird crap! ;):p

Reactions: HRMV and MiGlyRides

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Personally, when I go for travel rides, I prefer not to bring my laptop and etc stuff. Just the bare essentials to keep the luggage light. It's much easier to carry a pocket full of micro SD cards than a laptop to copy/transfer files to, laptop is also more susceptible to damage or rain. With Hero4 you have the built in screen, so you can still review some of the videos if you want to (normally I don't). Bringing along extra chargers and extra batteries would be what I rather go for instead of the bulk of a laptop.
After a long day of riding I rather spend the time relaxing instead of looking through footage.

Those are my preferences.

Tash

Neophyte
Mar 5, 2016
I ride a
Suzuki GSF600s Bandit
I'm going to Scotland to do the NC500 in July, so this thread is mega relevant to me right now.

I'm more inclined to just package shit load of SDs instead of a laptop. Especially that there isn't much to plug a laptop into when you're camping.

Last time I went there with camera gear I just had enough to cover the trip.

Now... I'm more worried about batteries and things than memory space.
I think installing a 12v and taking some power banks with me would be helpful...

Which batteries for the gopro3 would be best? I don't mind just buying a few batches. . .

Tash

Neophyte
Mar 5, 2016
I ride a
Suzuki GSF600s Bandit
Wasabi batteries are excellent.
Wasabi is some mean mustard thing so only a good enough brand would dare to name themselves after the hell that is wasabi.

I will look into it and see what's up.

What life do you get out of them?

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Wasabi is some mean mustard thing so only a good enough brand would dare to name themselves after the hell that is wasabi.

I will look into it and see what's up.

What life do you get out of them?

I couldn't tell you any more as I use external packs to get around 6 hours recording time.

When I tested it I got within 5 minutes of the official battery's recording time though, I remember that much.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts