Tire Safety.....

Mike Bunke

Wannabie Member
Jan 14, 2016
I ride a
2000 Kawasaki ZX9-R
Just thought I would post a safety tip on tires.

New tires are very VERY slick for the first miles..... You need to treat them as if you are riding on Ice... There have actually been tire shops put a camera out front to catch the people leaving and either going sideways or even low siding going out of the driveway of the shop.....

It also takes a few min for your tires to get grip after being parked for a bit. So be careful when just getting started until the tires warm up.......

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
Not this day and age. Yes you have to respect new tyres but tech has changed, massively!

I've got no issues with running a brand new tyre while dragging a knee around a track etc

It's about the crap riding that catches people

New tyres is like riding in the wet. Control the throttle, keep it steady and job done

Far from ice

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
I'd agree with Dan. When I got my new PR4s, the first time I'd ridden on new tyres, I was apprehensive because I wasn't prepared to disregard the warnings, but I rode normally, smoothly and within the speed limit avoiding pinning the throttle and I didn't have a moment at all. Got a reasonable amount of use of the sides as well that day.

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
A mate took his firestorm with brand new pilots 3 on a track day.

You can argue tracks are gripper but as said, it's being smooth that's the key

I'm a massive fan of super corsas, ive ridden in the damp and only 20 miles on, not an issue

The way tires are made now is quite amazing

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Beats the old square ones... ;)

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
If it wasn't for square wheels, we'd not have windows...

jthomas

jthomas1310
Jan 9, 2016
Australia
I ride a
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
My tire guy and when Ive bought a new bike, or even been out to test ride a new bike, they always told my 30kms have usually scrubbed them in. Modern day compounds are great, they are better than they used to be and stick a lot better. Ive been told they can be a little greasy from transport, handling and fitting etc. and to take it easy for that reason so that any possible grime should be worn off.

weeemrcb

Wannabie Member
Jan 6, 2013
SE London
weeem.co.uk
I ride a
Fireblade
They've changed the release compounds to get the tyres out of the mouldings, so although they will be a bit fussy when brand new, they're far from what her were 5 years ago.

I still score mine to the edge with a flat screwdriver when new, just to make sure the road can get purchase on any coating from first contact.

MiGlyRides

Geordie-Aussie
Jan 5, 2016
Gold Coast, Queensland
I ride a
Honda CBR 500 RA & Honda MSX 125 (GROM)
I suppose it depends on what tyres they are as well, I've recently got new tyres and the shop test ride the bike and put 5 k or so on it, after 50-60k they were ready to hit the mountains with force.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts