Status
Not open for further replies.

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250
pretty much,

I am a mac user, Imovie works well. other programs works well. I have no issues with video codec's at all.

So i am going to be selling this macbookpro cause i want something with a bit more power.

the downside is i cant decide if i want to get another mac, ( thinking brand new imac 21 inch for 1200 )

OR

if i want to get a PC. - thinking asus G73.

My question to you all is based on the editing side of things -

Whats a good program to edit with on PC. ?

most people have told me to look at sony vegas etc.

Im just concerned that its going to be a hassle to learn how to edit all over again.

hmm.

thoughts?

KawaJedi

Wannabie Member
Sep 12, 2011
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2002 Yamaha R6
Re: Time for a new computer, Do i go back to PC or stay on M

In my HUMBLE and NOVICE opinion, I would stay with the MAC.

I have a MACBOOK pro that I got from work, and it edits circles around any of the software I have demo tested on my PC at home. The specs on my PC are irrelevant but I will tell you that it is a high end gaming system on which I run WIN7 64 bit and the MAC still makes editing easier.

My opinion aint worth much, but there it is.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S

Buy a PC, a superpowered one will cost much less than the MAC equivalent.
Then partition your hard drive and install the MAC OS.

Sorted!

JollyRoger

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Ottawa
I ride a
2002 R6

pretty much what friz said. age old argument continues.

Mac = expensive + less hassle
PC = if you know a little knowledge you make a beast of a computer for half the price, and maintain it + it will work almost flawlessly.

I wouldn't buy a computer based on editing videos (unless you are in the business).

Chrus600

Wannabie Member
Aug 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6S Diversion

If you're prepared to learn a little, get a PC. Even then, Windows Movie Maker has decent results and is very easy to use.

You could become one of the elite too, and become a PC gamer! ;)

Also, laptop or desktop?

pizzaonaninja

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Behind you
I ride a
Trek 8500

PC.

I own an Asus (g51 to be precise) and even though i love the brand, the g73 has a problem with the graphic card (gray screen of death, look around for it)
Other than that, you can't go wrong with an Asus.. and for the Windows part... we all get used to it. nowadays it looks a lot like mac..because mr. gates always is copying mac and everyone knows that.

besides...with pc: The price is right!

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250

we will see where my budget stands over the next few weeks. :)

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a

yeh it will be pc. just dunno if laptop or not

POPE5HAT

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2011
I ride a
Get a desktop , easier to upgrade and interchange graphics,ram,etc and you can put the pc on a MASSIVE screen aswel .. Good times :)

Ducman69

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki VStrom

You can attach a laptop to a massive screen too, the desktop is just cheaper with an ultimately higher performance envelope.

I wouldn't worry about "mac vs PC" but just buy the best computer you can afford.

There are often amazing deals to be found on laptops on slickdeals.net popping up once a month. If you aren't extremely picky on exactly what you need, that's the route I would go. I'm actually waiting for a good 15-17" with a powerful GPU to pop up. For upgrades, SSDs and RAM right now are cheaper than they have ever been, so no worries if the model doesn't include either in the deal.

Windows7 is a great OS IMO, so I wouldn't see myself paying any extra to use OSX if it were just down to that. And w/ Windows8 right around the corner and it looking damn slick so far, your upgrade potential is a non-issue IMO. :)

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a

i can get a used 27inch 3.6ghz duo imac for 1k, with a 500gb hdd. 4gb ram. as for mac standards thats got serious power. as ram is cheap and they are editing machines.

or i could spend around the same and get a asus g73 quad core 19 to 2.8gb overclock -1080p screen -17inch. and 500gb hdd.

ugh.

i dont have a desk its at dads place so i would need a new chair and desk thats another 200.

Mac just needs ram and edits awesome.

or pc and play some more minecraft lol

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a

Used? For that price? Jesus Christ.

I have a spec something similar to that MAC spec you just posted, and I built that myself for £600 back in 2008...

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Honda Hornet - With Beast Of A Micron Exhaust

Since everybody seems pro pc, I thought I would add my own biased opinion. For me it's Mac everyday, mainly because of the feel of a Mac, I just prefer the way it works., and always prefer working on Macs. Also they never get viruses, because theyre used by industry the range of editing programmes is greater and certainly more well known than those for PC. And it's a Mac so where can you go wrong. Also you can get re-conditioned ones At cheaper prices on the apple website.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a

Chessecake94 said:
Since everybody seems pro pc, I thought I would add my own biased opinion. For me it's Mac everyday, mainly because of the feel of a Mac, I just prefer the way it works., and always prefer working on Macs. Also they never get viruses, because theyre used by industry the range of editing programmes is greater and certainly more well known than those for PC. And it's a Mac so where can you go wrong. Also you can get re-conditioned ones At cheaper prices on the apple website.

I don't like getting involved with these MAC vs Pc arguments, so I'm not saying this to try and annoy you or anything. It's purely information.

Macs can get viruses. I happen to know quite a few MAC crazy people (most actually work in PC World) and they have had to openly admit macs can get viruses.
The reason they didn't before was simply because no one made them as they weren't popular enough for it to be worth it, but recently as they've sold crazy amounts they've become as bad as pcs on the virus front.

Most professional video editors use an operating system designed just for editing. I forget the named now, i think its Sun something. I wanted to go into video editing professionally when I was a little younger, and my college teachers set me up intierviews with professionals already in it working on tv and movies to get an idea of what its like.
They all laughted at final cut pro and sony Vegas. It's not what the big guys use at all. Some movies are done on final cut, but I can't think of any.

Ducman69

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Houston, TX
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki VStrom

Yeah, hardly anyone gets viruses anymore though on Windows or OSX, but malware is quite common and more of an issue on Windows. That is really due more to the marketshare difference than inherent security. The security of OSX is more marketing hype than reality, as shown by the listed # of exploits, and even blatant blunders like the fact that any local user on an OSX Lion system can change the passwords for any other user... imagine the security risk that would present at your business on shared assets! *facepalm*
Used? For that price? Jesus Christ.
Yes, those specs, especially used, for that price is crappy. BUT, you have to remember it has an integrated 27" screen and those aren't that cheap and is surely what 90% of that price goes towards. :)

For video editing, OSX vs W7 is moot IMO. FCP has a great track history, but people are rightfully pissed about the lack of development of late. Meanwhile, the Adobe CS5 suite has gotten rave reviews. And if Adobe was good enough to edit James Cameron's blockbuster visually stunning movie Avatar in its entirety, its surely on par with FC as one example. So its all about keeping an eye out for good deals on hardware.

For comparison, for $970 on slickdeals recently they had this blazing brand new system that I almost picked up:
Core i7 2600 3.4-3.8GHz Quadcore, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, 1GB Radeon HD 6670, 8X Blu-ray ROM + 24" IPS monitor

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a

all comes down to my budget in the end. If the cash is their, it will be a nice new lappy. If not it will be a Desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts