General The Future of Motorcycling is Electric, and I think it's gonna happen FAST.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Have you seen 'Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" or the 'Avengers' series?

Hover-carriers are the way of the future... :D
Only once we discover unobtanium and it's able to be used in batteries :p

-John

Reactions: LandyVlad

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
But what about Jumbo Jets, I ask?

I have yet to see a plan for a mid-air recharging station!

-John
They shouldn't need mid air recharging. Once battery energy density gets above 400W/kg electric airplanes become very viable for long range flights. Because jets fly at high altitudes where the air is much thinner they are extremely efficient per mile flown energy wise, essentially entering a "supercruise" when at high altitude.

The key is obtaining a high energy density to attain a high power to weight ratio, because climbing to those high altitudes is what will cost the most energy for electric air flight. Once we are above 400W/kg we cross that threshold.

Reactions: Drakhen99

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I wonder if they could do hybrids so jets to get up there and then electric to cruise

mymotorrad

Wannabie Member
Mar 26, 2021
Fountain Hills AZ
www.mymotorrad.com
I ride a
2009 R1200RT
It is the future, just not mine. There's a lot more to it too. Electricity isn't clean, neither is battery production. Teslas are very expensive and a walled garden. Check out Rich's Rebuilds I think for an overview of owning a tesla long term. Yes they have instant torque, quicker off the line and yes they are the future, but I am basically Demolition Man. I find them boring, but I find adding tech boring. It's more abstraction layers between the user and how things work. Normally I am forward looking, at least socially, but vehicles are one place I want to disconnect from all the BS and I like some character. I mean, will people download exhaust tones for that HD sound or buy oscillating vibrators to get the feel? It just seems a little off... Now, I'll put on Red Barchetta and Sit by the fire and have a scotch. :)

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
It is the future, just not mine. There's a lot more to it too. Electricity isn't clean, neither is battery production.

Solar, hydro, and wind combined with battery storage are the future of energy production, and they are very clean. Battery production can be mostly clean as long as you don't put cobalt into the batteries, and that is happening today but it will be a gradual migration away from cobalt.

Electric transportation won't be to everyone's liking, there are people who just like combustion engines along with all the pros and cons they entail. Myself, I will love never needing to do oil + filter changes again, never needing to flush a radiator or change an air cleaner, never having to troubleshoot a clogged fuel line, etc! I'm ready! :cool:

mymotorrad

Wannabie Member
Mar 26, 2021
Fountain Hills AZ
www.mymotorrad.com
I ride a
2009 R1200RT
Solar, hydro, and wind combined with battery storage are the future of energy production, and they are very clean. Battery production can be mostly clean as long as you don't put cobalt into the batteries, and that is happening today but it will be a gradual migration away from cobalt.

Electric transportation won't be to everyone's liking, there are people who just like combustion engines along with all the pros and cons they entail. Myself, I will love never needing to do oil + filter changes again, never needing to flush a radiator or change an air cleaner, never having to troubleshoot a clogged fuel line, etc! I'm ready! :cool:
Have you seen where, how, and who mines the minerals for batteries?

I think in time a lot of it will be figured out. I have solar on my home...I just don't get excited about electric motors. I actually was into cars before bikes and have been working on my own stuff since a kid and I could tell if something was off by feel and hearing. There's no connection, for me, with EV. I agree the maintenance will be a lot less. Can you imagine what dealers will go through? Service is a big part of revenue. How do they factor built in obsolescence? What I think will change is cars will be subscription based top to bottom. No one will really own it, like software. I guess like a lease, but even different from that. No balloon payments to buy, just change it for a newer one like one trades in for the next phone. Want heated seats? Pay a subscription, etc. It's already being discussed and probably will be implemented, part of it before long. I guess it comes down to a generational thing. I am probably the only/last generation that can function in the tech world and without it. Some days it's a strange place to be. Another point if I haven't made it already is I work in IT. I deal with customer BS and tech problems every work day. Sometimes I just want less, simple, but connected. It's like at work they are pushing the whole oculus/VR learning environments for students. As a tactile learner, I think it won't work well for people like myself. No real feedback and no consequences. It's a brave new world. Have at it if you dig it, if you don't you will if you live long enough.

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
Has anyone given any real critical thought to the issue of what happens to all these batteries when they reach end of life? Environmentally?

These also the cost of replacement battery packs in a vehicle which WILL be required, for those who (like me) can't get a new car or bike every few years., Batteries have only so many charge cycles before likely failure.

mymotorrad

Wannabie Member
Mar 26, 2021
Fountain Hills AZ
www.mymotorrad.com
I ride a
2009 R1200RT
Has anyone given any real critical thought to the issue of what happens to all these batteries when they reach end of life? Environmentally?

These also the cost of replacement battery packs in a vehicle which WILL be required, for those who (like me) can't get a new car or bike every few years., Batteries have only so many charge cycles before likely failure.
Yes I have.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a

There are a few high capacity battery recycling companies ramping up right now, Redwood Materials in NV being one of the largest. Modern batteries can be recycled with about 95% of the materials being recovered. In time, once there are enough batteries in active use for long periods, very little mining will be needed anymore as most new batteries will be made from the recycled old ones. Plus the new batteries will be more energy dense than the recycled ones used to make it, so we'll be gaining greater energy density with less materials used.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
Fair enough.

But I still don;t think there is any way around the biggest problem with e-bikes.

BORING !!!!!!!!
Eh, the Livewire I rode was super exciting to ride IMHO. But then I don't have any tangible attachment to manually shifting gears nor gas engine vibrations or sounds. I get my thrills from riding by the physical feeling of riding on two wheels and the open air feeling of freedom, and for me an electric bike actually conveys those feelings BETTER than a gas powered one.

But then I might just be weird too. :cool:

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Reactions: mymotorrad

mymotorrad

Wannabie Member
Mar 26, 2021
Fountain Hills AZ
www.mymotorrad.com
I ride a
2009 R1200RT

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts