Not open for further replies.

Rippin23

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2013
I ride a
Yamaha R1, Husqvarna 610
Uploaded a new video on youtube today.

Title already says what it's about.
I noticed that there aren't too many videos about people having a 1000cc bike as their first bike. There are a lot of 600 vs 1000 vids on yt.

Take a look and watch the vid. I would like to hear your opinion about the matter.

Thanks

Rippin23

Svothe

Wannabie Member
Jul 21, 2013
I ride a
SV650S, GPZ500S
Good little video, I sort of understand your point of view but can't ever agree with people starting on big cc supersports bikes. Hell starting out on a 600cc supersport isn't the smartest move ever. My friend has a 13 plate GSXR600 that will hit 175mph indicated. Far far quicker than a new rider could handle. A rider who has worked there way up from say 50cc, 125cc, 500cc, 600cc, 1000cc will normally be able to handle and control there machine alot better. I have a few friends who have 1000cc superbikes but still can't get away from me and my friend in the corners where we just catch up and get bored stuck behind them because while they have all the straight line speed they just don't know how to get the most out of the bike or control it properly because they're too worried about the power of the bike or just plain don't know what there doing with a bike that size. Fair enough for those who jump on a bigger bike but I still wouldn't advise it to anyone.

A good rider on a 600cc supersport will still rag the fuck out of an average rider on a 1000cc bike.

MrFalloffalot

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2013
Alpha Centuri
I ride a
1983 Kwacka z750 'Scrapheap', +16 more 'Toys'...
In Australia, they have introduced a 'LAMBS' law, allowing a 650cc as a first/minimum size u can ride.
Now when i started riding (1987), a 250cc was the max.

When a baby is born, why do u think they crawl then walk then run?? Cause they dont know howto!!

Now with the Lambs law in Aus., their are reportadly 'more' m/cycle accidents/deaths than ever before???

STUPID, stupid law, Skills are a time thing, you learn and they evolve, not 'Just Magically appear' whenu put the helmut on!!

Stay safe, Ride at YOUR limits, not the bikes.
Cheers
>:)

Rippin23

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2013
I ride a
Yamaha R1, Husqvarna 610
Svothe said:
Good little video, I sort of understand your point of view but can't ever agree with people starting on big cc supersports bikes. Hell starting out on a 600cc supersport isn't the smartest move ever. My friend has a 13 plate GSXR600 that will hit 175mph indicated. Far far quicker than a new rider could handle. A rider who has worked there way up from say 50cc, 125cc, 500cc, 600cc, 1000cc will normally be able to handle and control there machine alot better. I have a few friends who have 1000cc superbikes but still can't get away from me and my friend in the corners where we just catch up and get bored stuck behind them because while they have all the straight line speed they just don't know how to get the most out of the bike or control it properly because they're too worried about the power of the bike or just plain don't know what there doing with a bike that size. Fair enough for those who jump on a bigger bike but I still wouldn't advise it to anyone.

A good rider on a 600cc supersport will still rag the fuck out of an average rider on a 1000cc bike.

If a new rider doesn't give himself the time to get to know the bike, that's when people get into accidents. As I said I rode half throttle for a while just to get used to the weight and power and get the feeling of the bike. From there I started pushing myself just like I would have done on a 600cc. I'm not saying I'm a very good rider, but I can keep up with my friend's gsxr 600. It all depends on the riders. But I'd give you that a 600cc is more agile than a 1000cc. I have riddin both, but I still prefer my 1000 because in my opinion it feels like I am handling more bike. Appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the subject!

MrFalloffalot said:
In Australia, they have introduced a 'LAMBS' law, allowing a 650cc as a first/minimum size u can ride.
Now when i started riding (1987), a 250cc was the max.

When a baby is born, why do u think they crawl then walk then run?? Cause they dont know howto!!

Now with the Lambs law in Aus., their are reportadly 'more' m/cycle accidents/deaths than ever before???

STUPID, stupid law, Skills are a time thing, you learn and they evolve, not 'Just Magically appear' whenu put the helmut on!!

Stay safe, Ride at YOUR limits, not the bikes.
Cheers
>:)

Here in Holland the new rules are as following:

18-20 years old: 125cc
20-23 years old: Unlimited ccs, but you have to limit it to 22kw/35hp.
24+ years old: Unlimited.

I got mine almost 2 years ago when I was 21 and the old rules still applied. Which meant I could ride anything.
Since the government made the new rules no one below 20 is getting their license. Which is a good thing because it takes all the retards off the road who can't handle correctly in a situation.

But I still think you can start on a 1000 if you are certain you can handle it step by step.

Cagerontwowheels

Wannabie Member
Nov 22, 2012
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I ride a
NC 700XA
Well... I heard a comment from a salesperson when a customer entered wanting to buy a cbr1000 as a first bike.
"Seriously? are you crazy?"
[insert several exchanges asserting he was, in fact sure]
"Well... do you have insurance? I mean life insurance? Have you arranjed for your funeral already? Any kids, or anyone I could contact?"
[insert several heated arguments that he is not going to die]
"You most likely will. I will not put on a vehicle that can reach 200 kph in 7 seconds a guy that has his license for 8 days, and never rode before! I'm sorry, no, I will not sell you a liter bike".

As far as I heard later, he wound up buying a cbr 600F (the non-radical version of the 600RR), and is happy. Even after crashing it twice.

Damn I love small motorcycle shops. Tellin' it like it is.

On the other hand, if you can handle it, props to you. But keep in mind you are in a very small percentage of users, those who can jump straight into big bikes and survive.(I'm not, for instance). Just dont fall into the temptation... your right wrist WILL kill you.

EDIT:
If people are agressive towards your choice, it is simply because they do NOT want to have to mourn yet another biker. Its not being assholes, or jealeous(spelling???). Its just that so many have tried and failed horribly...

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250
lolol inb4 crash - my opinion

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Rippin23 said:
Here in Holland the new rules are as following:

18-20 years old: 125cc
20-23 years old: Unlimited ccs, but you have to limit it to 22kw/35hp.
24+ years old: Unlimited.

I got mine almost 2 years ago when I was 21 and the old rules still applied. Which meant I could ride anything.
Since the government made the new rules no one below 20 is getting their license. Which is a good thing because it takes all the retards off the road who can't handle correctly in a situation.

But I still think you can start on a 1000 if you are certain you can handle it step by step.

Same here, got in with the old system, which worked great as well.
But even with this system, if you are 24+ and get your license, you can but a 1000cc.

And it isn't the cc that kills you, but your driving skill and the knowledge of your own limits ;)

Maggot

Wannabie Member
Feb 26, 2013
I ride a
ped
I normally don't recomend 1000cc sport bike for a beginner because it's too much power on the tap to handle.

But saying that any bike will go only as fast as you want it to. If you are not an idiot and take it easy then it could be ok. If you start going fast too early before you are ready for it then most likely you will get into trouble.

I think something like sport 600cc is much better choice for a beginner. They are still bloody fast, but the power is more predictable and starting in higher rpms so won't surprise an unexperienced rider by accident. Also new riders will probably enjoy riding 600cc more than 1000cc bike anyway. Obviously the cool factor on 1000cc in front of your mates is higher than on 600cc so if that's what matter to you then go for it.

O8ride

O8
May 16, 2013
I ride a
Inbetween bikes
Alternatively, buy a bike that can't take you out of your comfort zone easily.

Anyone who is prone to risk-taking, speed, road rage, not giving a shit about anyone else or themselves, and loves stretching their own experiences, is likely to end up hurt.

I wonder whether certain bikes, by putting riders in certain riding positions that could be classed as aggressive/racing, psychologically can affect how you react on the road. Commuting may have the same effect (especially if your bike is too wide to get through filtering gaps that a smaller bike can fit through), as could fast twisty rideouts with mates all trying to go as fast as possible.

Not trying to propose these as factual, I just wonder if it does have an effect.

Rippin23

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2013
I ride a
Yamaha R1, Husqvarna 610
Cagerontwowheels said:
Well... I heard a comment from a salesperson when a customer entered wanting to buy a cbr1000 as a first bike.
"Seriously? are you crazy?"
[insert several exchanges asserting he was, in fact sure]
"Well... do you have insurance? I mean life insurance? Have you arranjed for your funeral already? Any kids, or anyone I could contact?"
[insert several heated arguments that he is not going to die]
"You most likely will. I will not put on a vehicle that can reach 200 kph in 7 seconds a guy that has his license for 8 days, and never rode before! I'm sorry, no, I will not sell you a liter bike".

As far as I heard later, he wound up buying a cbr 600F (the non-radical version of the 600RR), and is happy. Even after crashing it twice.

Damn I love small motorcycle shops. Tellin' it like it is.

On the other hand, if you can handle it, props to you. But keep in mind you are in a very small percentage of users, those who can jump straight into big bikes and survive.(I'm not, for instance). Just dont fall into the temptation... your right wrist WILL kill you.

EDIT:
If people are agressive towards your choice, it is simply because they do NOT want to have to mourn yet another biker. Its not being assholes, or jealeous(spelling???). Its just that so many have tried and failed horribly...

hahaha I love the part about arranging the funeral! But I still rest my case, if you're not up to it mentally, don't do it. But you are damn right about twisting the wrist. If you don't know what you're expecting it's kinda terrifying. Start slow!

Rippin23

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2013
I ride a
Yamaha R1, Husqvarna 610
O8ride said:
Alternatively, buy a bike that can't take you out of your comfort zone easily.

Anyone who is prone to risk-taking, speed, road rage, not giving a shit about anyone else or themselves, and loves stretching their own experiences, is likely to end up hurt.

I wonder whether certain bikes, by putting riders in certain riding positions that could be classed as aggressive/racing, psychologically can affect how you react on the road. Commuting may have the same effect (especially if your bike is too wide to get through filtering gaps that a smaller bike can fit through), as could fast twisty rideouts with mates all trying to go as fast as possible.

Not trying to propose these as factual, I just wonder if it does have an effect.

I can't agree with you more! If you know you're easily frustrated or annoyed in traffic. Don't get a bike that can take you out of your comfort zone in an instant. I therefor am a really patient person which my friends can't seem to understand. They all get bored when stuck behind a car and just want to pass as fast as they can. I like to double check if the situation is alright to overtake someone.
If you have a cool head you can do it!

ZenRiding

Wannabie Member
Sep 17, 2013
Portugal
youtube.com
I ride a
2003 Yamaha FZS600
I think every person / situation is different and should be handled differently but I wouldn't advise a 1000cc supersport for a first bike to anyone I know. If you did it and it worked out great then GOOD! It doesn't mean it was the wisest decision or everyone will turn out the same way.

I got a Yamaha FZS600 for my first bike (still is, after about a year), not even a supersport, still faster than I could handle at first. I'm not saying I couldn't ride it or I was afraid of it, never. I'm saying I couldn't get all it had to offer power-wise untill a few months had passed and I got more used to it. I still remember vividly when I twist the throttle all the way in first gear for the first time, and how goddamn fast it felt. I could barely upshift correctly. 0-100kph in a gear in what, 4 seconds? Of course I dont need to pin the throttle like a maniac when I'm a beginner, but the tempation is there, and we (almost) all fail to resist it at some point.

Getting a bike which is more manageable can be even more fun for a beginner. You'll get to learn with it, grow with it and get to a point where you can pretty much get all it has to offer, then move forward to something else. It's a journey and it's fun! Trying out different bikes, different types of bikes. Grow progressively into more powerfull bikes (if that's what you want) and enjoy it.

SwitchBiker

Wannabie Member
Jun 23, 2012
USA, California
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1215
2011 HD Dyna Fat Bob
I grew up racing and riding motocross bikes from around the age of 7 all the way until my late thirties and I've ridden various street bikes over the years. On a bike I feel very confident in my skillset and my knowledge of throttle control. Some skills translate over from motocross racing to street, but it still is a different animal, I had owned and ridden plenty on the street but never a superport bike. A few years ago I thought I wanted to buy a 1k supersport and slated a test ride on one of the dealers trade in Ninja ZX10R's. I was no beginner when I took this test ride but I instantly knew that to own this bike was just asking for trouble, not because I didn't trust myself, but because how deceptively fast the bike could accelerate me into bad situations that could easilly get beyond my skillset.

I'm not saying these bikes are bad, in fact they are very good bikes, but that is where the danger lies. They will handle like a dream and instill confidence levels that a beginning rider should not have, where a more experienced rider will recognize the small details where the edge of control is when the power and handling could easilly seduce a beginning rider to keep pushing until he's past the limit.

Best of luck to you, be safe. Riding is a fun activity, road rash and death are not.

Cagerontwowheels

Wannabie Member
Nov 22, 2012
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I ride a
NC 700XA
what most beginners (and even many veterans, me included) don't realize, or forget is that to ride bike FAST you are not thinking about the next corner. You are thinking about the EXIT of the next corner, what might lie ahead, where to go if there is a car coming into your lane, or if there is a cyclist on the right, etc. Instead of looking ahead a bit, you are now thinking waaay ahead. Not just one move ahead of traffic - you gotta think 3-4 moves ahead of traffic.
And a bad decision at high speeds turns into a really bad outcome before you realize it was a bad decision.

Spacep0d

Wannabie Member
Sep 7, 2012
SoCal
www.YouTube.com
I ride a
Nicely-modified 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 which I've dubbed a ZX-3R.
Rippin23 said:
Uploaded a new video on youtube today.

Title already says what it's about.
I noticed that there aren't too many videos about people having a 1000cc bike as their first bike. There are a lot of 600 vs 1000 vids on yt.

Take a look and watch the vid. I would like to hear your opinion about the matter.

Thanks

Rippin23

Welp, some people can start on a 1000cc. It's just a bike. It's just a machine. Does it have a higher-potential than a 250? Of course, but one's muscle-memory can adapt in a way where you don't need to kill yourself. It's really not hard to ride a literbike, and I really hope nobody would speak to this issue without actually knowing what it's like to ride a literbike.

That said, literbikes do require discipline—more discipline than a 250 and a little more than a 600. Learning in a Subaru WRX takes more discipline than in a Daihatsu Charade, but people tend to adapt as-needed.

Arguably, it's more fun to ride a small bike fast than a fast bike slowly, especially when you're new. Can it be done? Yes it can. Chanelinked (a vlogger friend) has only owned/ridden the R1. He's doing great. He's clearly got self-control.

Are there good reasons to start small? Of course. The cost of the bike is one reason. For younger riders, insurance is a huge factor. For those unsure about how long they might be riding, it's better to minimize one's investment. Is a small bike more forgiving? Yes, but I am sure anyone here who doesn't own a Lamborghini Gallardo could probably drive one without killing themselves, as long as you adjusted to the fact that you're in a totally-unknown car and need to re-learn your inputs. For shorter riders, a bigger bike complicates matters and there are more ways to drop a bike. Taller riders don't have this issue and can flatfoot nearly any bike they decide to ride. This often affects one's choices as a beginner.

My Ninja 300 could seriously hurt anyone who didn't respect the bike on its terms, and who didn't ride it within their skill-limits.

I think it's better to start smaller with motorcycles, but anyone who's determined and disciplined can learn on whatever machine they're motivated to buy. With riding, it can take a few bikes before we really know what we want, which is why so many of us change bikes over the years. Look at me, former R1 and GSX-R 750/600 owner, now on a Ninja ZX-3R and lovin' it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts