Spot Metering With Gopro (or Other Action Camera)

SalvageSV

Hopes he doesn't crash this month
Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
I put together a quick video about the use of spot metering. What it is, when to use it, etc.

I mainly framed this around the GoPro cameras, as that's what I use, but the same information applies to any other camera with a spot metering function.

Basically, spot metering changes how the camera's auto exposure functions. In standard mode, the camera will "look" at the entire frame to decide what the exposure value should be. In spot metering mode the camera looks at the very center of the frame only to decide what the exposure should be.

Knowing how this works it important becasue spot metering isn't always better to use. Sometimes you want to consider the entire frame, such as if your shot moves, if the dark/bright areas aren't in the center of the frame or if your entire scene is evenly lit. Spot metering works best when the camera is locked down or if you know you will always have the main subject in the center of the frame.

The best example for us motovloggers is a camera 2 facing back at the rider. That's a great time to use spot metering. It will help prevent drastic shifts in the exposure of the rider in changing light conditions.

I cover all of this and show some examples in the video.

(@dandoolittle, don't ban me for putting a video in the wrong place please ...)

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
(@dandoolittle, don't ban me for putting a video in the wrong place please ...)

Nope. I tend to turn a blind eye to the odd posts like these as they are helpful

Don't mind these at all really. It's the 'here's my video' posts I hate as they have no real value. I do like a good tips post, if you chuck in a video the. Fair play

Reactions: SalvageSV

MinusF

MinusFormality
Apr 28, 2016
Greece, Thessaloniki
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple 2008
That is really good stuff! ;o Kinda knew the whole idea but details on that were needed and now I get it.

Cheers!

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
I better give this a go. Am I correct in assuming with the older gopros its only there when protune is turned on?

Spot metering is seperate from Protune and an essential feature of all digital cameras. My Hero 3 White has spot metering available but not Protune.

SalvageSV

Hopes he doesn't crash this month
Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
Yeah, it's not an advanced ProTune option. Just look in capture settings and it should be the second or third option if it's available. I don't have a list of all cameras that have it though, sorry.

jthomas

jthomas1310
Jan 9, 2016
Australia
I ride a
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Really good video mate. I was wondering what the heck it was and had been too lazy to google it, thanks for the tips!

Reactions: SalvageSV

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts